16+ Choices Full Time Learning Factsheet

By Norma Cruz,2014-06-29 08:22
6 views 0
16+ Choices Full Time Learning Factsheet ...

18+ Student Finance Factsheet

There are proposed changes to the student finance package for

    students starting a full-time higher education course in 2009/2010.

    These include changing the previously intended 2009/10 package

    of support including eligibility for and levels of grants and loans. All

    the proposed changes are subject to consideration by Parliament.

    You‟ll be able to get more information through the website. in due course

How do I apply for and find out more about financial help?

    Students applying for 2009 entry can apply online and find out more by

    using Student Finance England on the Directgov website:

Student Finance England will help you to work out the financial support

    you‟ll get, apply for finance, and keep track of your payments.

An online calculator will help you work out how much you can get and you will

    even see what bursaries may be available at your preferred university or


After you have applied you will be able to manage your own account online.

    If you need assistance or advice you will also be able to use the site to

    communicate with an advisor using secure messaging.

    You can apply online for the academic year 09/10 from mid-

    February 2009. Student Finance England recommends that you

    apply as early as possible in order to ensure that they receive your

    application in good time.

For 2010/11 entry you will be able to apply for student finance at the same

    time as you make your UCAS application.

What will I have to pay when I become a student?

As a student you will have to pay:

    ? Tuition fees and

    ? Living costs


If you are a full-time student starting a higher education course in 2009, you

    can apply for a student loan for fees and living costs and probably a Tuition fees Maintenance Grant.

    ? It is expected that Universities and Colleges will charge new full-time

    undergraduates fees of up to ?3,225 a year for 2009 entry and most

    are doing so. A few institutions are charging less (mainly for courses

    like HNDs and Foundation Degrees) check the UCAS website on or the university‟s prospectus.

    ? Fees no longer have to be paid at the same time as studying. You‟ll be

    able to study first and pay back when you are earning above ?15,000.

    ? Fees are lower for English students studying in Scotland (For 2008/09

    these were ?1,775 except for medicine courses which were ?2,825 a


Just how do I find out what fees different universities and courses are


    The fees being charged will vary between courses as well as between

    universities and colleges. Comparing what‟s on offer is important and can be

    done by using the university or college prospectuses and websites or the

    course search facility on the UCAS website at The entry

    profile for each course includes „Fees, bursaries and financial support‟ so you

    can find out what is being charged for tuition fees by the university or college

    and also any bursaries or scholarships on offer.

    I’m thinking about going outside England to study - are the fees the same?

    From 2009 it is expected that universities and colleges in Wales and Northern

    Ireland will be charging up to ?3,225, the same as in England. For Scottish

    universities and colleges the tuition fees were ?1,775 per year except for

    medicine where fees were ?2,825. The rates for 2009/10 are not available yet.

    If you are considering studying outside England you will need to check these

    tuition fee amounts using the Directgov website

Tuition fee loans

    You can apply for a loan to cover the cost of your fees and then repay the fee

    loan in the same way as your other student loan once you have finished studying and are earning over the repayment threshold of ?15,000 per year.

    ? These are not means tested and so are available to all eligible, full-time

    students to cover their tuition fees.

    ? All loans (living costs and tuition fee loans) are added together and you

    pay back 9% of your earnings above ?15,000 a year - so someone

    earning the average starting salary of ?18,000 would repay ?5.19 per



Student loan for living costs

    ? You can apply for a Maintenance loan to help with your living costs.

    ? 72% of the maintenance loan is not income assessed; 28% is income


    ? This loan for 2009 entrants is a maximum of ?4,950 (higher in London

    at ?6,928 - lower if living at home at ?3,838). Do check out the rates if applying for entry in 2009. These amounts are

    expected to be available. You can check up-to-date rates using the

    Directgov website

How do I repay my loan?

     All your loans - both tuition fee and living costs loans - are added together

    and repayments start from the April after you have left your course and are

    earning more than ?15,000 per year. Repayment rate is 9% of any earnings

    over ?15,000. Repayments are deducted by your employer along with tax and

    National Insurance contributions. If you stopped earning or your earnings fell

    below ?15,000 your repayments would stop. Any outstanding balance is

    written off after 25 years. Additional early repayments can be made. If you are

    entering repayment in April 2012 or later there is the option of a repayment

    holiday for up to five years at a time of your choice.

Non-repayable grants Maintenance Grant

    ? Students from households with income up to ?25,000 could be eligible

    for a full non-repayable Maintenance grant of up to ?2,906 per year.

    ? If your household income is between ?25,000 and around ?50,020 you

    may still qualify for a partial Maintenance grant.

    ? This is paid in three instalments to help you with living and study costs.

    ? The amount of maintenance loan available is reduced by ?0.50 for

    every ?1 of maintenance grant to which students are entitled.

Special Support Grant

    ? Students getting or eligible for means tested benefits like Housing

    Benefit or Income Support could be given a special support grant (SSG)

    of up to ?2,835 a year was available for 2008-09.

    ? The SSG will be based on household income and does not have to be

    paid back.

    ? Students getting the SSG, instead of the Maintenance grant, will not

    have their Maintenance Loan reduced.

    ? Eligibility for means tested benefits like Housing Benefit is not affected

    by the SSG - it is not counted as income.

I’m disabled – is there any extra help for disabled students?

    There are Disabled Students‟ Allowances (DSAs) to help with the extra costs

    you incur in attending your course as a direct result of your disability. How


    much you can get does not depend on your income or that of your household.

    This is extra financial help over and above any grants, loans and bursaries

    and unlike a student loan, does not have to be repaid.

    If you are physically disabled or have mental-health difficulties, you will need

    to provide medical proof of your disability, such as a letter from your doctor or

    an appropriate specialist. If you have a specific learning difficulty (for example

    dyslexia) your LA will need evidence of this.

    Depending on your needs extra support could include a General Disabled

    Student‟s Allowance of up to ?1,724 each year, a specialist equipment

    allowance of up to ?5,161 for the whole course, a non-medical helper‟s

    allowance of up to ?20,520 each year and help towards the additional costs of

    travelling to university or college.

    For more information check the Directgov website at:

    You can also download or order a copy of „Bridging the gap: a guide to the

    Disabled Students‟ Allowances in Higher Education‟.

    You can also get more help and information from Skill (the National Bureau

    for Students with Disabilities) using their website or their free helpline on 0800 328 5050. I’m hoping to do a degree in Social Work - is there any extra

    funding available?

    Yes, there is a bursary offered as an incentive to train as a social worker. This

    bursary is administered by the NHS Business Services Authority but is not an

    NHS bursary. The package includes a non-income assessed bursary basic

    grant and tuition fees with a fixed contribution of ?575 towards your placement

    expenses. For more information go to or call

    the NHS Business Services Authority (Social Work Bursary helpline) on 0845

    610 1122 - Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm and Saturday between

    9am and 3pm.

    You can also get information about social work on the social work careers

    helpline 0845 604 6404 or check out the website:

Are there any incentives to train as a teacher?

    Yes - you can get up-to-date details of these incentives for taking an initial

    teacher training course in England by calling the Training and Development

    Agency for Schools‟ Teaching Information line on 0845 6000 991 or visit their

    website at


What about help for training in health care?

    You can find more information about NHS bursaries, which are available for

    full or part time students intending to study a pre-registration health

    professional course, by calling one of these numbers:

    ? 0845 358 6655 (for students who want to study in England)

    ? 0144 323 3333 (for students who want to study in Wales)

    ? 0131 476 8227 (for students who want to study in Scotland)

    ? 0282 565 3333 (for students who want to study in Northern Ireland) or by visiting the NHS Student Bursaries‟ website at

     You must be accepted onto an NHS funded place to be eligible and can

    apply through the NHS Student Bursaries‟ website.

    You can ring the NHS Careers help line on 0845 60 60 655 for information on

    NHS careers.

    University and college bursaries & scholarships

    Bursaries or scholarships are on offer from many universities and colleges.

    This money does not have to be paid back and can be given in a variety of

    ways; for example it could be cash, discounted accommodation costs or even

    IT equipment such as a laptop.

All colleges and universities charging the full ?3,225 tuition fees will have to

    pay a minimum bursary (expected to be ?319) to any students in receipt of the

    full ?2,906 Maintenance Grant. Many universities are offering a lot more than

    the minimum. How much is available depends on the university or college so

    you should check their prospectuses or websites for more information.

Details of what individual institutions are offering can be found using the

    Directgov Bursary map or the UCAS course entry profiles

Extra help from your university or college

    Colleges and universities also have Access to Learning funds should you get

    into financial difficulties while studying or find yourself facing extra costs in

    completing your course. Students are assessed on individual financial need,

    with some groups of students being given priority for help e.g. care-leavers

    and lone parents. Payments are usually given as a non-repayable grant but

    funds are limited. There are no guarantees about securing an award; it

    depends on who else applies for help and whether their needs are greater

    than yours. Normally you apply when you have started your course, but if you

    know you are going to face difficulties (eg you are a care-leaver and have

    nowhere to live in the holidays) make contact straightaway, to „earmark‟ your



    Employer sponsorships These are arrangements whereby employers give financial support, and often

    work experience, to students subject to various conditions.

How much can you earn?

    This can vary substantially depending upon the size of the company and the

    type of industry you work in. However, on average the figures tend to be for:

    ? a GAP year before you begin studying - ?10,000 per annum.

    ? a “Sandwich” placement year during studies - ?12,000 per annum.

    ? vacation work - ?200-?250 per week .

    ? bursary payments - ?1000-?3,000 per year.

To find out all the details and links to sponsorship company websites go to

If you have children

    You will be treated as an independent student. Your own parents' income will

    not be taken into account when calculating your grant and loan entitlement.

Childcare grant

    If you are a full time student with dependent children in registered or approved

    childcare then you may be eligible for help with childcare costs. The amount

    you receive will be dependent upon your household income and is based on

    85% of your actual childcare costs. For 2008-/09 this was up to ?148.75 a

    week (one child) or ?255 a week (two or more children) and is non-repayable.

    Parents’ learning allowance For help with course-related costs for students with dependent children. It is

    non-repayable and worth up to ?1,508 a year depending upon your household

    income. For more information visit the student finance


    Child Tax Credit from the HM Revenue & Customs Students with dependent children are eligible for Child Tax Credit from

    HMRC. The money you get depends on your circumstances. You qualify at a

    higher rate if your child or one of your children is under one year old or is

    disabled. Students receiving the maximum amount of Child Tax Credit are

    entitled to free school meals for their children. You can find details on

    their website where you can claim online or

    telephone 0845 300 3900.

    Adult dependents’ grant

If you have a husband, wife or civil partner or another adult family member

    who depends on you financially, you may be eligible for up to ?2,642 a year.


    The amount you receive will be dependent upon your household income and

    Contacts and information resources is non-repayable. For more information on this grant check the student

    finance site


    STUDENTS (Student Finance Direct) A comprehensive guide to

    financial help arrangements for Higher Education and for help with

    completing your application form. Available from the free brochure

    ordering line on 0800 731 9133 or print/download from the

    StudentFinanceDirect website at

? BRIDGING THE GAP A guide to funding support for disabled students,

    available to download from

? DIRECTGOV BURSARY MAP find what support is available using this

    map with links to the bursary information web page of each university

    and college in England

    ? DIRECTORY OF GRANT MAKING TRUSTS (published by the Chariti

    es Aid Foundation and sold through the Directory of Social Change at

    This book may be available through your local library.


    independent advice agency for people wanting to get funding for

    further/higher education. They advise on student funding and sources

    of funding, and also keep a database of trusts and charities that assist

    students financially. For further information and to apply for funding go

    to and look under „Our Services‟. or send a

    stamped addressed envelope to 501-505 Kingsland Road, Dalston,

    London E8 4AU. For detailed advice call the student advice line on

    020 7254 6251 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2pm to


    ? EDUCATIONAL GRANTS DIRECTORY (DSC) available to buy from

    This book may be available through your local library.

? FINANCE FOR STUDENTS (Connexions Herefordshire &

    Worcestershire) Information sheet 2.30.


    student finance) new edition will be published February 2009 and

    available through schools and colleges


    ? INTO HIGHER EDUCATION A guide for disabled people planning to

    apply to higher education. Available from SKILL Chapter House, 18-20

    Crucifix Lane, London SE1 3JW. Visit the website or

    phone the information line on 0800 328 5050 (Minicom 0800 068 2422)

    ? NATIONAL UNION OF STUDENTS The NUS produce a series of

    information sheets on student finance. To view and download them, go


    ? NHS COURSES IN ENGLAND & WALES Careers Helpline: 0845 60

    60 655 NHS Bursaries in England: 0845 358

    6655 NHS Bursaries in Wales: 0144 323 3333 NHS Bursaries in

    Scotland: 0131 476 8227


    provides information about other sources of funding for undergraduates.

    ? STUDENTS’ MONEY MATTERS (Trotman) May be available through

    your school/college Connexions library, your local Connexions centre

    or library.

    ? STUDENT LIFE A SURVIVAL GUIDE (Lifetime Careers in

    association with UCAS) May be available through your school/college

    Connexions library, your local Connexions centre or library.

    ? TEACHER TRAINING For information on support available for

    undergraduate and postgraduate courses: Tel: 0845 6000 991 (English

    speaking) Tel: 0845 6000 922 (Welsh speaking) MINICOM (for people

    with hearing difficulties): 01245 454343


    Heap -Trotman) Gives details of scholarships, awards and prizes at

    universities and colleges. May be available through your school/college

    Connexions library, your local Connexions centre or library

Useful websites

    Loans/grants/financial help: - help for care leavers

Sponsorships/bursaries with the armed forces:


Finance for overseas study


    A European Commission exchange programme that enables students in 31

    European countries to study for part of their degree in another country. You

    would still continue to receive any student grant or loan you are entitled to

    and you may be eligible for a supplementary Erasmus grant towards the

    extra costs of studying abroad. Further information is available from UK

    Erasmus National Agency, British Council, 28 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10


Copyright Connexions Herefordshire and Worcestershire 2008 (updated

    February 2009)


Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email