How To Write an Essay
By Kenneth Beare, About.com Guide
See More About:
; ESL teaching techniques
; writing skills
; essay writing
There are many ways to write an essay. However, the standard essay form follows the same basic patterns as discussed in this 'how to'.
Time Required: 30 minutes
1. Select the topic of your essay.
2. Choose the central idea, or thesis, of your essay. For
example: Information technology has revolutionized the
way we work.
3. Outline your essay into introductory, body and
4. The introductory paragraph begins with an interesting
sentence. For example: Home workers have grown from
150,000 to over 12 million in the past 5 years thanks to
the wonders of the computer.
5. After this first sentence, add your thesis statement
6. Use one sentence to introduce every body paragraph
to follow9;每一段落的主题句；. For example: The Internet
has made this possible by extending the office into the
7. Finish the introductory paragraph with a short
summary or goal statement. For example: Technological
innovation has thus made the traditional workplace
8. In each of the body paragraphs (usually two or three)
the ideas first presented in the introductory paragraph
9. Develop your body paragraphs by giving detailed
information and examples. For example: When the
Internet was first introduced it was used primarily by
scientists, now it is common in every classroom. 10. Body paragraphs should develop the central idea and
finish with a summary of that idea. There should be at
least two examples or facts in each body paragraph to
support the central idea.
11. The summary paragraph summarizes your essay and
is often a reverse of the introductory paragrah. 12. Begin the summary paragrah by quickly restating the
principal ideas of your body paragraphs. For example:
The Internet in the home, benefits and ease of use of
modern computer systems...
13. The penultimate sentence should restate your basic
thesis of the essay. For example: We have now passed
from the industrial revolution to the information
14. Your final statement can be a future prediction based
on what you have shown in the essay. For example: The
next step: The complete disappearance of the workplace.
1. Use strong verbs and avoid modals to state your
opinion. It is better to write: The workplace has evolved
than The workplace seems to have evolved
2. Do not apologize for what you are saying. An essay is
about your opinion.
3. Do not translate from your mother tongue. It will
quickly get you into trouble!
What You Need:
; Computer or Typewriter