Unit 13 Healthy eating
1. 了解课本: 共十个单元, 比上学期少两个单元. 本学期学习时间共16-17周时间, 共102节课, 平均每单元8.5课时. 每单元仍然是由warming up;
listening; speaking; pre-reading; reading; post-reading; language
study; integrating skills; writing?workbook exercises 等十个部分组成，
2. 本册书语法项目有~情态动词?动词：ing; 谓语和主语的一致?it的用法等。
3(课后~背诵课文?记忆例句?完成作业?巩固练习?补充阅读 Unit 13 Healthy eating
1. Talk about eating habits and health
2. Practice seeing the doctor
3. Practice giving advice and making suggestions 4. Use the modal verbs: had better; should; ought to 5. Learn some useful cooking terms
6. Read and write recipes
Period 1---new words
Period 2--- warming up; listening; speaking
Period 3---speaking; reading
Period 4---language points
Period 5---grammar & grammar exercises
Period 6---integrating skill reading
Period 7---writing & workbook listening
Period 8---workbook exercises
Period 9---workbook reading and writing
1. Words about foods:
Photo 1: Junk food: fast food (French fries and hamburgers) photo 2: Chinese street food (dumplings; corn; noodles; rice) Photo 3: Food group: vegetables (cabbages; tomatoes; carrots;
Photo 4: Food group: Beans and nuts; bread and grains
(peanuts; fried bread, nuts)
Photo 5: Food group fruits (bananas; apples pears; oranges; grapes)
Photo 6: Food group: meats (beef; chicken; pork fish)
Photo 7: Junk food: desserts (ice cream; candy, candy bars; chocolates)
Photo 8: Food group: Vegetables (tofu; mushrooms)
Task: Each group of students tries to give the names of each kind of food in two pictures and talk about whether it is healthier to eat each of them in “ smaller amounts less often” or in “larger
amounts more often”.
1. In this activity we will hear two conversations. In the first, a mum is talking
with her son. The son is feeling well.
2. Learn some words that will appear in the dialogue.
3. Have the students listen to it twice or three times. Check
their answers to the
4. In the second dialogue, the mum takes her Mike to see a doctor.
5. Get the students to listen to it and then check their answers.
1. Useful expressions:
1( --What’s wrong (the matter/the trouble) with you?
---I seem to have caught a cold.
2).---What hurts you?/What is troubling you?
---I have got something wrong with my stomach and I don’t feel
3)---What’s your trouble?
---I’m running a temperature and I have a headache.
4) ---When did the pain start?
--- Three days a go.
5). ---How long has it been going on?
---Two or three days.
6) ---Do you have a history of heart trouble?
---No, I don’t.
7). ---Have you taken your temperature?
8). ---Your case history, please.
---Sorry I don’t have a case history. This is my first time here.
9) ---I’m really worried about weight.
---I advise you to change your eating habits. You should eat less meat, more vegetables and exercise more.
10(---It’s nothing serious. Take things easy and you will be well soon.
---Thank you, doctor.
2. Some cultural information:
1) If you want to see a doctor in western countries, you must make an appointment with the doctor ahead of time, or you will not see him or her.
2) There are many private doctors and private clinics as well as public clinics, hospitals and hospital emergency wards (急诊中心) in
3) The doctor will often ask you about your medical problems and
examine you if necessary, so you had better not say something like “I have a cold”, which means you have known your trouble. It is considered bad manners. If you have known your trouble, why do you come to see the doctor then?
4) If you are a foreigner, you should know how to say some common expressions about diseases, such as headache, cough, toothache, etc.
3. Listen to and read the dialogue in the book.
4. Language points:
1) Was the peach ripe or green?
Green “没有成熟的” ripe 的反义词
Green fruit is not good to eat.
The cherries are still green to pick.(太生不能摘)
red 暴力的?流血的 a red battle 血战
yellow 胆怯，靠不住的 I always knew you were yellow
blue 沮丧的 He looks blue. 他看上去情绪低落。
black 邪恶的，不吉利的 Things look black. 情况看来不妙。
white 幸运的?吉利的 a white day 吉日
green 对环境无害的; 无害的 green food
2) advise v. ---tell somebody what you think should do; give advice to
advise + 名词 / 代词
+ sb to do sth.
+ doing sth
+ sb +疑问词+ to do sth.
+(that) sb (should) do sth
eg: The doctor advised him a complete examination. I advise you to leave immediately.
Doctors advised her to stay in bed for a week. She advised her son not to drink too much.
They advised me what to do next.
I advise she should work harder at English.
The teacher advises we read English every day
He advised finishing the work ahead of time.
He strongly advised me not to do so.
The teacher advised that we should read more books about English
advice u.n. 用a little; little; some; a great deal of; a piece of
give advice to sb.
give sb some advice on doing sth
give sb some advice on how to do sth
take/get/ follow one’s advice
ask (sb) for advice
3. be careful with„ 当心
The plate is very hot. You must be very careful about it. He is very careful with his money and never buys anything
其它短语~take care 当心 take care of 照顾? care about 在意 care for 喜欢?
同源词~ care; careful; careless; carefully; carelessly; carelessness
1.Go through he new words in the text.
2.Allow the students a couple of minutes to discuss the questions in
pre-reading. Then listen to their answers.
3.Reading comprehension exercises:
1).What’s the meaning of the title? (B)
A. We become what we eat.
B. We can judge a person by his eating habits. C. We should buy and eat nutritious food. D. What we eat can make us healthy.
2).Which of the following is good for our bones and teeth? (B)
A. Protein B. Calcium C. Carbohydrates D. Vitamins 3).“Eco-foods” in the passage refers to _______. (C) A. organic vegetable B. crash diets
B. environmentally friendly foods D. snacks
4).Which of the following best expresses the main idea of the
A. Choosing what we eat is more difficult now. B. We need to make the right choice about what and how we eat. C. We are offered many choices.
D. Our choices are not just nutrition
5).From the passage we can infer that _______. (C) A. Traditional diets have too much fat and sugar. B. Companies and stores offer all kinds of supplements. C. Healthy foods are those with less fat and sugar. D. The author of the passage is against supplements. 4.Language points:
2).as has our way of life=so has our way of life
They consider him as a good friend, as do many others.
Tom was surprised at the news , as was Susan.
3).diet & food
diet是抽象名词, 常指“饮食” 而言， 或指一个人习惯的，被规定的，特别是被医生允许的或限定的的食品? food 是一般用语，凡是吃的喝的都可成为food。
I mustn’t have chocolate; I’m on a diet.
I’m put on weight; I have to go on a diet.
A balanced diet is very good for our health.
Healthy foods include fruits, eggs, vegetables and some soft
I’m hungry. Let go and get some food.
This diet only allows you to eat fresh fruit.
Milk is the natural food for young babies.
One thin piece of bread contains 90 caloties.
While you are at school, or waking home, your body is burning up 100
calories an hour.
5).too much & much too & too many
You ‘ve put too much sugar in your milk.
She talked too much at the meeting.
That plane trip may be too much for my grandma.
That pair of shoes is much too large for my son. Too many people crowed in the bus. The air is very terrible. 6).keep up with& catch up with
7).make the right choices
9).become/be part of 成为；是„的一部分
Helping you is part of our work.
Taiwan is part of China.
I’m very pleased to become part of you.
其它短语?take part in 参加? play a part in/play a role in 10). be harmful to/ do harm to/do sb harm
be good for/ do good to/do sb good
Strong sunlight is harmful for your eyes.
Smoking does you great harm.
It won’t do you any harm to get get up early.
11).in the right amounts
12).go for 应用于„适用于„
What he said about you goes for me too.
Our brother is a hard working boy. And the same goes for your sister. 13).only ；状语 + 倒装句
Only then we got to know each other.
=We got to know each other only then
I understood the main meaning of the text only after I had read it
twice. =Only after I had read the text twice did I understand it. You can make progress in English only in this way.
= Only in this way can you make progress in English. Only when you see the twins together can we tell them apart. Post-reading
1. Discuss the questions one by one.
2. Ex 3
Had better; should ;ought to
1. Go through example sentences and make sure the students know how to use them. In American English had better usually is considered
much stronger than should.
2. Assign the exercises as homework and check the students’ sentences in class.
3. Go through Part 2, make it clear for the students how to
write the instructions.
4. Assign it as written homework.
1. Reading comprehension:
1) Which of the following is NOT considered a good snack? D A. A salad. B. Fruits.
C. Vegetables D. A chocolate bar.
2) Which of the following is not true according to the text? A A. Snacks are more important than big meals.
B. Snacks should have less fat and sugar.
C. Snacks are easy to make.
D. Snacks can provide us with more energy.
3) Why are fruits popular with people? D
A. They give us carbohydrates.
B. They are rich in vitamins.
C. They taste great.
D. All the above.
4) Which of the following best expresses the main idea of the
A. Snacks can provide us with energy.
B. Snacks play an important part in out daily life. C. Snacks are easy to make.
D. How can you make snacks?
5) Which is not stated in the passage but can be inferred? D A. Main meals are enough for our health.
B. Main meals are more difficult to make than snacks. C. Dumplings take a bit longer to prepare than a sandwich. D. “Shaomai” is a kind of snack.
1) even if =even though 即使
2) now and then = every now and then; now and again = sometimes Although Phil is busy, he emails to me now and then. We haven’t seen each other for yeats, but we chat on line now and
3) just the way they are=without doing anything about them;
=as they are
3. Have the students read the text again.
4. Go through the tip for writing a recipe. Give a sample, then
assig it as the students’ written homework.
Crispy Beef Roll
300 grams (0.66 Ib) ground beef
350 grams (0.77 Ib) bread crumbs ，面包屑(
1 gram (1/4 tsp) MSG
2 grams (1/3) tsp) salt
10 grams (s tsp) cooking wine
5 grams (1/6 oz) finely cut scallions (大葱)
5 grams (1/6 oz) chopped ginger (生姜)
10 grams (1-1/2 tbsp(汤匙)) dry cornstarch (玉米淀粉)
300 grams (3/5 cup) cooking oil
1. Add to the ground beef the salt, MSG, cooking wine, scallions, ginger and 5 g (1 tbsp) of the dry cornstarch, and mix
well until it becomes sticky.
2. Whip(抽打) the eggs in a bowl.
3. Divide the ground beef into 3 portions(一部分) and shape into
long rolls 5 cm (2 inches) in diameter and 15 cm ( 6 inches) in length. Steam over strong fire for 10 minutes. When the rolls cool
off, cover them with the whipped egg and bread crumbs.
4. Heat the oil in a wok 110-135 C (230-275 F) and deepfry，油
炸( the beef rolls until they are a golden colour. Drain off the oil.
5. Cut in a slanting，斜的( way to divide the rolls into sections 3 cm(1.2 inches) long each. Put on a plate and serve.
Features: Golden in colour
Taste: Crispy outside and tender inside, the rolls are really delicious.
1. lead an unhealthy life
2. namely= that is; i,e
3. avoid dong sth
4. be filled with
5. not all
6. vary one’s diet 使某人的饮食多样化
7. depend on
8. a variety of
9. be rich in = be high in
be poor in = be low in
10. every now and then
11. combine„with; be combined with
Chinese fast food: Baozi
I think Baozi made of fried pork is junk food because it contains too much fat and doesn’t give us the nutrients we need. However, baozi made of vegetables is healthy food.
Pizza: I think pizza is junk food because it contains too much fat
and not enough nutrients.
French fries: French fries are not good for us. It is true that vegetables are full of nutrients, but French fries contain too much fat.
Hamburger: We should not eat hamburgers too often. They contain too much fat and do not give us the nutrients we need.
Write two passages by request of the book on P 76.
Title 1: Don’t Eat Meat!
Start with: We should not eat meat or use animal products.
Title 2: Don’t Touch My Steak!
Start with: Animal meat should be part of everyone’s diet.