DOC

Professional Education Council

By Loretta Wright,2014-06-28 10:23
5 views 0
Professional Education Council ...

    Page 1 of 5

    Professional Education Council

    October 12, 2004

Willie Pierce called the meeting to order at 3:15 p.m. in the Union A. Members present

    included Renee Falconer, Rose Jones, Janice Thompson, Rosalina Hairston, Kayla

    O’Hern, Mary Peters, Elaine White, Pam Smith, Joe Olmi, Mary Nell McNeese, Ann Blackwell, David Walker, Phyllis Jestice, Diane Fisher, Henry Teller, Anita Davis, Mitch

    Berman, Carole deCasal, Deborah Booth, Eric Luce, Jim McGuire, Robin Barnett, and

    Marilyn Larmon. Thelma Roberson was a guest. Renee Falconer was proxy for Dana

    Thames and Greg Krebs represented Nancy Speed. Rhonda Livingston, Robin Ryder,

    Elizabeth Haynes, Rosemary Woullard, Peggy Williams, Doug Feldmann, Sheila Alber

    and Joe Whitehead were absent.

    Minutes

    Mary Nell McNees moved approval of the September 21, 2004 minutes; Joe Olmi

    seconded the motion. The minutes were unanimously approved.

    Agenda

    Hearing no modifications or additions the agenda was approved as presented.

    Kayla O’Hern was welcomed as the secondary education student representative. Officers Report

    Chair Willie Pierce said he is currently working on the membership roster and should have it complete by the next meeting.

    Licensure Robin Ryder is representing USM at Hinds Community College recruitment day and filed no report.

    Vice Chair Mitch Berman said it seems a number of units did not receive the email about the NCATE workshops scheduled over the next few months due to the small

    turnout at the meeting earlier in the day. Willie Pierce will resend the workshop schedule

    information. Anita Davis suggested posting all meeting related to NCATE on the web

    and she will post the information when it is received.

    Mitch Berman said Carole deCasal’s departmental visits have been mixed and she has

    run into roadblocks. The PEC will have to come up with a strategy to have departments

    buy in to the NCATE accreditation process because it is overwhelming. He said projects

    can be broken down into small tasks to complete which would get the NCATE process up

    and running. Potential roadblocks of resistance include the feeling that service is no

    longer viewed as worthy at this university and only research is viewed as something that

    is rewarded. NCATE involvement is critical and part of the faculty’s professional

    responsibility is to engage in this accreditation process. Another issue is time availability;

    how will time be found to accomplish what needs to be done because nights and

    weekends is not part of the custom at USM. There is resistance and misunderstanding, so

    there needs to be a culture change and this needs to be communicated to faculty. Willie

    Pierce said if we are not NCATE accredited in the state of Mississippi our programs will

    not be licensed.

    Carole deCasal suggested a solution might be to determine a “go to person for all

    licensure programs regarding NCATE issues who will communicate time, dates and other

    information needed to their unit thus allowing for information to be disseminated in a

    timely manner. Also the go to person could contact Carole deCasal regarding unit

    Page 2 of 5

    issues. Willie Pierce circulated a sheet of paper and asked that each licensure area be

    listed, graduate and undergraduate, with the “go to” person identified.

    Regarding the NCATE workshops every unit must have at least one representative attend

    to take the information back to the unit. Carole deCasel said some faculty have an attitude

    of titwwhadi, “that is the way we have always done it”. Mitch Berman reminded

    members that NCATE is a program improvement process and it should not be taken

    personally by units. Part of the accreditation process is program improvement and units

    will have to research programs at other universities to decide where they want to be and

    what can be done to improve what is currently being done and the system of data

    collection used. Faculty must become involved and need to buy-in to the process with an

    open-mind and without any resistance or preconceptions. Mitch Berman asked the PEC

    to give Carole deCasal, Willie Pierce and himself feedback as to how they can get faculty,

    chairs and deans to buy in to this process. Carole deCasal is trying to make the process as

    user friendly as possible. She is new to the university and does not know the players, the

    system and part of her job is to get information from units so she can see the big picture

    as to how we have operated. If anyone has questions about NCATE she is the “go to” on

    that subject and if she does not know the answer, she will call Washington for an answer.

    Willie Pierce said NCATE will look at a data driven curriculum, a continuous

    revitalization process; the SPAS now drive the curriculum. NCATE requires all the

    syllabi in professional education programs to be similar, so whatever unit they visit they

    can view a syllabus and find the key elements all in the same place. If information is not

    documented, it does not exist.

    Anita Davis said the assessment committee is meeting this Friday at 7:30 a.m. They are

    working with a team from iTech and Homer Coffman on setting up the web for all

    NCATE documentation.

    Secretary’s Report No report.

    Standing Committee Chairs’ Report Recruitment, Admission, Retention, Dismissal and Appeals No report from RADAR

    committee in Sheila Alber’s absence. Qualifications David Walker is still waiting for a list of committee members. Also,

    information needs to be forwarded electronically from the dean’s office to the

    professional education chairs regarding qualification of new faculty.

    Bylaws Diane Fisher had no report and asked for a copy of the PEC Bylaws to be

    emailed to her.

    Program Review Eric Luce recognized the School Counseling program for submitting

    their report in a timely manner. Secondly, there are two courses to modify to on-line

    presentation which the College Council has approved. The two courses are REF 400 and

    REF 604 and these courses will not be offered solely on-line. The PRC recommends a

    section of each course be offered on-line. Willie Pierce asked if there was any discussion

    and Eric Luce said there was concern about the chat line and documentation was sent

    stating chat will not take the place of on-line office hours and face to face contact. Carole

    deCasal reminded the Council that these syllabi must conform to the NCATE guidelines,

    be part of the unit’s assessment plan and must be in place by January. Hearing no further

    discussion, the PEC unanimously approved the recommendation to forward the REF 400

    and REF 604 modifications.

    Page 3 of 5

    Third item, an update on the special education program review report which was received beyond late. The committee has yet to recommend approval of the report. Renee Falconer said that it was not the content or implementation but the format of the report which was written in the form of a SPA report. At this time no action is required. NCATE Carole deCasal distributed a report from the assessment subcommittee on

    classroom management dealing with the MDE mandate. She reported that the committee recommends two hours be added to student teaching in secondary education and course content that the subcommittee decides is appropriate. Two hours will not be added to the course but the contact hours will be redistributed. The law also requires classroom management be imbedded in all courses and K-12 also need to be placed in this structure. The committee felt by doing it with student teaching it would become a learning product within student teaching giving the students a complete circle through practice, feedback and in the seminar sharing experiences.

    Anita Davis said the charge of the subcommittee was to determine where the course would be appropriate and this was done. Now the committee must work out the details so the proposal is only stating that a block of time was determined to offer this course. Carole deCasal said there is no requirement at the state level that the student be assessed or master anything but a requirement that there is a course. NCATE is a different issue, units have SPA requirements and every SPA has requirements for classroom management issues and those are the ones that should be imbedded in course curriculums so that it does not become the responsibility of the seminar to cover the final outcome of classroom management. All are welcome to the next subcommittee meeting on October 20, 1:30 p.m. in OMH 127. Joe Olmi commented that nine years ago he recommended that the issue of classroom management be studied but was told there was no room in the curriculum. This is a big issue for school based representatives and for those out in the schools on a frequent basis. He is glad it is being mandated and hopes it is given the attention it deserves.

    Pam Smith commented that a teacher may know course content but if they can not control the classroom students will not learn.

    Graduate Caucus - Carole deCasal says there seems to be a misunderstanding as to what

    area NCATE covers. All graduate or undergraduate licensure programs are covered under NCATE and follow the same guidelines as all professional education programs. The graduate caucus must have representation from all units with graduate programs. There is a lot to do and what is being done in undergraduate programs must be done in graduate programs.

    Syllabi Format Carole deCasal clarified that syllabi can not be rewritten in isolation. A

    committee of the whole has to document the committee members, including persons in the community, faculty, and school personnel; and how and when the syllabi were developed as a whole. All the committee meetings have to be documented with those in attendance and up-linked on the web site. This process of program improvement can not be done by a faculty member alone, this is a process that involves the unit and others looking at what is being done, inputting ideas and determining which SPA standards are going to be where and why and how it will link to everything else going on in a course. The curriculum needs to be logical and developmental so the six to eight assessments they can start at the lowest level of knowledge and progress up to synthesis so when the student is ready to student teach they will be at the application level.

    Page 4 of 5

    Carole deCasal said this is not a one time event but program improvement is an ongoing

    process and each semester data must be documented on how the data determined program

    improvements and if not why based on the data. NCATE is not a compliance issue but a

    program improvement issue.

    SPA Reports The SPA reports are due 60 days prior to the on site visit, which makes it

    more or less February 1, and they must be submitted electronically.

    Forum Reports

    Public School Representatives Administrator Peggy Williams was absent

    Teacher Pam Smith has found the discussion interesting and is taking it in.

    Community College Representative Rosemary Woullard was absent

    Student Representatives

    Elementary no representative

    Secondary Kayla O’Hern had no report.

    K-12 no representative

    Graduate no representative

    Caucus Chairs Reports

    -Elementary Education no report -K-12 no report

    -Secondary Education Eric Luce reported that the caucus met September 23. Program Review was discussed at length and a recommendation was made by Anita Davis and

    seconded by Debbie Booth that a moratorium be placed on program reviews for this

    semester until some of the NCATE matters are worked out and clarified. Anita Davis said

    it was the intention of the Secondary Caucus to allow those areas that are due to submit

    program review materials(math, history, and elementary education) submit materials in

    spring of 05 because professional education units are in the process of accessing/

    contributing/updating NACTE data for their programs. Willie Pierce said the

    recommendation of the secondary education caucus is to have a moratorium on new

    program reviews for the fall 04 semester only; the three programs will submit their

    materials in the spring of 05. Phyllis Jestice moved approval and Renee Falconer

    seconded the recommendation of the secondary education caucus. The motion passed

    unanimously to have a moratorium on program reviews for this semester.

    Ad Hoc Committee

    Technology Recommendation for Basic Technology Literacy Exam - No decision has

    been made at this time regarding Robin Ryder’s dilemma with transfer students not

    having the BTLE upon arrival at Southern Miss.

    Restricted course(s) admission for non-teacher education majors Janice Thompson and

    Carole deCasal discussed and will bring forward a resolution.

    Unfinished Business none

    New Business none

    Announcements

    *Willie Pierce will send the scheduled NCATE workshops by Carole deCasal

    electronically.

    *Joe Olmi announced the School Psychology Program will be sponsoring Dr. Susan

    Wilczynski, from University of Nebraska Medical Center, in a full day workshop on

    Page 5 of 5

    November 5 at the Multipurpose Center in Hattiesburg. The training will be specific to children with Autism Spectrum disorders and effective classroom treatment. *The second annual Lee Hildman Memorial Colloquium will feature Dr. Robert Sternberg, former president of American Psychological Association and one of the top psychologists in the nation at a colloquium on November 12 in Gonzales Auditorium to speak on multi-intelligence.

    *Chicago Arts Partnership in Education is developing preservice and inservice training models in arts-integrated curriculum reform. The Laurel school district has agreed to partner with this university. At this time ways in which faculty can be supported in participation and development of this partnership and project are being sort.

November 2, 2004, is the next monthly PEC meeting.

    With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:15 p.m.

W. Lee Pierce, Chair Gail Hemard, Secretary

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email
cust-service@docsford.com