Merced County ROP: Standards-Based Lesson Plan
LESSON PLAN MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION:
Course Name Teacher Designer Time Allocation Marketing Occupations Mary Whited & Nick Westerberg 2-50 minute periods
Unit Title and Number Lesson Title
Consumer Buying Behavior IX.C Consumer Buying Behavior
CONTENT AND ACADEMIC STANDARDS
5.0 :Problem Solving and Critical Thinking—5.1, 5.2, 5.3 Content Standard(s) from CTE 10.0 Technical Knowledge and Skills—10.1, 10.4 Pathways A4.1: Understand what motivates consumers to buying online D1.6: Understand buying motives and the customer’s decision-making
Grade 9-10: Reading Comprehension -2.4, 2.5 English Academic Standard(s) Grade 11-12: Reading Comprehension- 2.3
Grade 9 – 10: Writing Strategies - 1.2
Grade 11-12: Comprehension and Analysis of Grade-Level Appropriate Text
N/A Math Academic Standard(s)
12.1.1: Explain the opportunity cost and marginal benefit and marginal cost. Economic Academic Standards 12.1.2: Explain opportunity cost and marginal benefit and marginal cost.
; Opportunity Cost
; Marginal Benefit
; Marginal Cost
; Income Distribution
; Mixed Economies
; Intangible/tangible goods
; Free Enterprise
; Micro Economics
; Macro Economics
; Circular Flow of Economic Activity
; Rationing Device
LESSON PLAN COMPETENCIES (FROM ROP COURSE OUTLINE)
1. Identify major factors that influence consumer-buying behavior.
LESSON PLAN OBJECTIVES (Task Analysis)
1. Identify the major factors influencing consumer behavior.
2. Identify and recognize the types of buying decision behavior.
3. Understand and justify the stages in the buying decision process.
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS REQUIREMENTS
1. Consumer Buying Behavior PowerPoint Teacher Needs 2. Examples of Buying Motives 3. Consumer Buying Behavior Competency handout
4. Understanding Customer Buying Motives handout (OPTIONAL)
5. Magazines for Ads (OPTIONAL)
6. Consumer Buying Behavior Quiz
1. Writing Instrument/Paper Student Needs: 2. Consumer Buying Behavior PowerPoint 3. Understanding Customer Buying Motives handout (OPTIONAL)
4. Magazines for Ads (OPTIONAL)
5. Consumer Buying Behavior Quiz
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS FOR THE LESSON: Resource Available
1. Why do customers buy what they buy?
2. What are buying motives and how do they affect the customers buying behavior?
3. What process do consumers go through before and after making a purchase?
FOUR-STEP LESSON PLAN: Describe the lesson in detail: Resource Available
1. Have students think of a big purchase they have made recently. Have them write this
purchase at the top of piece of paper (they will be using this paper later in the lesson). Introduction 2. Use the following questions to help guide the class in a discussion about their buying
a. Why did you want this particular purchase in the first place? (need)
b. What steps did you go through to purchase this item?
c. Why did you ultimately buy the item you did and from who you did?
Presentation 1. Using PowerPoint notes, present the lecture on Consumer Buying Behavior.
1. Use the PowerPoint to orally review Functional and Psychological buying motives. Application 2. Use the end of the PowerPoint to review Consumer Buying Behavior Competency and
have students practice distinguishing between Functional and Psychological buying