Unit Four Earth is Dearer the Gold
I： Teaching Objectives；
1. Reading: gapped sentences; reading for specific information; scanning a text; 2.Vocabulary: planet Earth; environmental problems; conservation; 3.Grammar: comparisons; too / enough; -ing form, infinitive \Use of English:
prepositions; phrasal verbs; word formation; key-word transformations; open
cloze; idioms and fixed phrases;
4.Listening : listening for specific Information; listening for gist; listening for main
points; listening for detail; deducing meaning; note-taking; multiple matching;
matching speakers to statements;
5.Speaking: making suggestions about conservation; describing environmental
problems; comparing past and present; comparing animals; answering questions
about endangered species; talking about recycling; offering solutions to problems;
complaining; playing for time;
6.Intonation: key-word stress;
7.Writing: an essay providing solutions to problems; an article; a poem.
II. Teaching Aims:
1. New words learning;
2. Cultural information about environment & engergy;
3. Grammar points on comparisons, too/enough, -ing form/infinitive phrasal verbs,
phrasal verbs- fall, get ;
4. Basic listening and speaking skills.
III. Teaching periods:
Time Allotment (3 periods in total)
Contents Time allotted
Text— The Answer is Blowing in the Wind 1-2 periods
Vocabulary practice 2 period
Grammar in use 2period
Listening and speaking skills 30 mins
After class reading 15 mins
IV. Teaching Methods
1. Group activity, students’ teaching, exercise training and answers checking,
2. Role play, teacher’s presentation
V. Teaching Contents；
1. New words
afar from 从远方
clad pipe 复合管
deceive sb into doing
insulate from/against 与…隔绝
layer cake 夹心蛋糕
quotation mark 引号
swift horse 千里马
wipe away 擦掉
According to the given questions, draw ss’ attention to the topic of the unit.
Describe the four pictures:
1) heavy traffic, busy roads, traffic pollution
2) crowded cities, smog, overpopulation, air pollution
3) water shortage, poverty, third world, developing countries
4) trees, deforestation, rain forest, loggers
Read out the list of energy sources and elicit how we can use each resource to produce energy. Elicit answers to the questions from various ss around the class.
Read the text quickly, get the main idea of the article.
Allow ss two minutes to read through the first paragraph. Ask them to think about what information might be missing. Read through the list of missing sentences and elicit why E is the correct. Allow ss five minutes to complete the task in pairs. Remind them to match the topic of the missing sentence with the topic of the sentence before and after each gap and to check that the sentence they choose fits grammatically and makes sense.
Help ss to explain the words in bold by giving examples, synonyms or opposites. Ss may look up synonyms of the highlighted words in their dictionaries.
greenhouse gases 二氧化碳
fossil fuel 化石燃料
in need of
be capable of
take advantage of
be slow to do
shut down 完全关闭
ork with 从事，共事 w
It’s about time that…
? Vocabulary practice
1. Planet Earth
Explain the task, play the tape. Ss listen and underline the correct information. Then ss work in pairs and talk about the Earth.
Read the headings. Elicit various environmental problems from ss. Explain the task. Read out the headlines and the problems. Elicit the meaning of any unknown vocabulary by giving examples, synonyms, opposites, etc. ss complete the task. Check ss’ answers.
Go through the prompts and explain any unknown vocabulary. Do the first item with ss. Then, ss work in pairs and complete the exercise. Check ss’ answers. Model the
dialogue with two ss, then ask various pairs to perform their dialogues in front of the class.
Read the title. Allow ss two minutes to complete the task. At the end of the quiz, do a quick survey of the class to find out how many ss scored mostly As, Bs or Cs. Elicit what is meant by conserve---to save and protect the environment. Explain the task. Allow ss two minutes to complete the task. Check ss’ answers around the class.
? Grammar in use
More is used before some two-syllable adjectives and adverbs, and all adjectives and adverbs with more than two syllables to form the comparative degree. Most is used before some two-syllable adjectives and adverbs and all adjectives and adverbs with more than two syllables to form the superlative degree. Explain the tasks, then lead ss to complete the sentences, paying attention to the structures especially.
2. too/ enough
Elicit how the sentences are formed: too old---old enough
Refer ss to the Grammar Reference section for more detail. ss work in pairs to complete the sentences, check ss’ answers.
3. –ing form/infinitive
; go +doing
; preposition+ doing
; would love/ like/ hate + to do
; like/ love/ hate + doing
; modal verbs +do
; can’t stand/ help, look forward to +doing
Forget doing/ to do
Stop doing/ to do
Remember doing/ to do
Try doing/ to do
Fill in the blanks and explain the phrases. 5. Phrasal verbs
Replace the words in bold with the phrasal verb formed with fall or get. Explain, if
6. Word formation
Go through the text, and complete the paragraph with the correct word derived from
the word in bold. Elicit anything unknown. 7. key-word transformations
lead ss to complete the sentences according to the prompts.
8. Open cloze
Read out the passage swiftly to gain the main idea. Then, read again, sentence by
sentence. Indicate ss to fill in the blanks. After completing the article, read again. Make sure that all the answers are correct and
9. Idioms and fixed phrases
Show the idioms and explain to enhance the impression.
be keen on
be grateful for
be guilty of
be hopeless at
rely on: fall back on
get away with: escape without punishment get on with: like
get over : recover from
fall for : be deceived by
fall through: fail to b e completed
get through: finish
on the way在进行中
take one’s hat off to 向某人表示赞赏，向..致敬
on the go 尝试
have a go at 责备某人
for granted 认为…是理所当然 take …
keep one’s head 保持镇定、冷静
have butterflies in one’s stomach 紧张
kill two birds with one stone一石二鸟
take the bull by the horns不畏艰难做某事
the lion’s share
? Listening and speaking skills.
1. Listen for specific information, gist, main points, detail; deducing meaning; note-taking; multiple matching; matching speakers to statements 2. Speaking: According to the given prompts ,make suggestions about conservation; describing environmental problems; comparing past and present; comparing animals; answering questions about endangered species; talking about recycling; offering solutions to problems; complaining; playing for time
Get right on sth: do sth at once
Mean to do
? Literature corner
Read the poem after class. Then check the answers next time. Elicit anything unknown.
? Writing an essay providing solutions to problems
1. Read out the tip and the useful vocabulary bos. Explain any points that ss
have difficulty with.
2. read out the rubric. Help ss underline the key words. Go through the questions
and elicit answers from ss.
3. Analyse the model text: give ss several minutes to read the text, and fill in
the missing sentences. Then , check ss’ answers.
4. Beginnings and endings”: do the task, check answers around the class.
5. suggestions and results: match and check/.
6. Deal with the rest exercises orally.
rhetorical question 反义疑问句
be aware of 知道
die out 灭绝
all in all 总的说来，大体而言
industrial park 工业园
Sum up what we learnt in this unit and deal with self-assessment module, then ss
? Reflections after teaching