THE GOVERNMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF DENMARK
THE GOVERNMENT OF …………………….
The Government of the Kingdom of Denmark, (hereinafter referred to as Denmark), and the
Government of ……………., (hereinafter referred to as .........), desirous of strengthening the legal and institutional framework of their technical as well as Development Cooperation have agreed as follows:
Obligations of the Parties
1. Denmark will make available to ......... financial assistance, material resources, technical
assistance, and training opportunities. ......... will ensure the effective utilization of the said
assistance and training opportunities.
2. The specific terms and procedures, including the financial and other obligations of the two
Parties in regard to specific projects, programmes, and other joint activities under this
Agreement (hereinafter referred to as Programmes) will in each case be determined by the
Parties in specific agreements, including administrative arrangements entered into by exchange
of letters (hereinafter referred to as Specific Agreements), with explicit reference to this
3. Should there be any discrepancy between this Agreement and the Specific Agreement the
4. In the implementation of this Agreement the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall be competent
to represent Denmark, and the Ministry of …….. be competent to represent ......... (hereinafter
referred to as the Competent Authorities).
1. For the purposes of this Agreement the term "Executing Agencies" means any expatriate
public authority and expatriate public or private corporation as well as any organization
whether public or private, accepted by the two Governments and contracted by Denmark to
implement the Specific Agreements referred to in Article I, paragraph 2 above.
2. Denmark will, unless otherwise agreed in the Specific Agreements, pay the fees and costs of
the Executing Agencies in accordance with the rules and regulations of the Danish Ministry of
Foreign Affairs excluding the costs to be covered by ......... as stipulated in paragraph 3 below.
3. The following facilities shall be accorded by ......... to the expatriate Executing Agencies:
a) grant them free of charge and without undue delay all necessary permits and
b) exempt them from income tax or any other direct tax or charge in respect of any
emoluments paid to them from funds or resources outside ......... for their services
within ......... under this Agreement;
c) exempt them from duty to submit to the ......... authorities any tax or financial
declarations required from private persons or corporations in respect of the income
earned under this Agreement;
d) impose no currency or foreign exchange restrictions on funds remitted to ......... by the
expatriate Executing Agencies for the implementation of the activities under this
Agreement, and facilitate the exchange and the exportation of such funds as well as the
opening of bank accounts; and
e) exempt them from professional registration and license requirements.
2 Article III
1. Technical assistance provided upon .........'s request under this Agreement may be in the form
of technical assistance personnel (short term or long term assignments) employed by the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs or by the Executing Agencies referred to in Article II, paragraph 1
above. The provision of the services of the above-mentioned personnel (hereinafter referred
to as the Personnel) is subject to the availability of suitable, qualified and experienced persons
at the appropriate time.
2. The competent ......... authority for each Programme provides in each case the Danish
competent authority with a complete job title and description for the Personnel engaged by
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and in other cases, as appropriate, defining the duties of the
position to be held and services to be rendered as well as the essential and desirable
qualifications of the candidate. It shall be clearly stated in the job description whether the
Personnel will undertake executive operational functions.
3. The Danish competent authority shall provide the competent ......... authority for each
Programme with information necessary for the appraisal of the candidates for the positions
referred to above, such as training and previous professional experience.
4. The competent ......... authority for each Programme and the Danish competent authority shall
jointly decide to which extent counterparts to the Personnel made available shall be assigned
by ........., or other measures to be devised in order to achieve the objectives.
5. In carrying out their assignments the Personnel shall be under the direction of the authorities
of ......... or other bodies to which they have been assigned and be subject to the laws and
regulations of ......... unless special exceptions have been granted in the present Agreement or
in a Specific Agreement.
6. ......... shall ensure that the expatriate Personnel and their spouses and dependents enjoy the
full protection of the law and further ensure that the Personnel and their spouses and
dependents enjoy privileges no less favourable than those accorded to Personnel assigned
to ......... by other countries or international organizations.
7. In the event of arrest or detention for any reason of expatriate Personnel made available by
3 Denmark, or their spouses or dependents, or of criminal proceedings being instituted against
such persons, the Royal Danish Embassy in ……. is to be notified immediately and shall have
the right to visit any detained or arrested person. Such persons shall have the right to be
represented by a lawyer assigned by the Embassy or by the person himself in accordance with
the law and regulations of ..........
8. ......... shall be responsible for the security of the expatriate Personnel and their spouses and
dependents. In the event of a crisis affecting the safety of foreign nationals in ........., ......... shall
accord repatriation facilities to this Personnel and their spouses and dependents, in accordance
with the conditions no less favourable than those accorded to Personnel assigned to ......... by
other countries or international organization and their spouses and dependents.
9. Should a situation or a condition referred to in paragraph 8 above occur, the two
Governments shall consult with each other and act in close collaboration to minimize any risk
or damage to the expatriate Personnel, their spouses and dependents or damage to the
personal effects and the materials, equipment, and vehicles used for the implementation of the
Programme under this Agreement.
10. Expatriate Personnel acting in accordance with instructions issued by the Royal Danish
Embassy in the event of a crisis or taking such precautions as are deemed to be warranted
under the circumstances, and thus being restrained from reporting for work, shall not be
considered to be in dereliction of duty under the relevant contract.
11. ......... shall have the right to request the recall of any member of the Personnel whose work or
conduct is deemed unsatisfactory. Before exercising such right ......... shall consult the Royal
Danish Embassy in …….
12. Denmark shall have the right to recall any member of the Personnel at any time. Before
exercising such right Denmark shall consult with ......... for that purpose as well as on
arrangements for securing rapid replacement of such Personnel if ......... so requests, unless
exceptional circumstances demand that the person be recalled immediately.
13. If agreed upon between the Competent Authorities the Personnel may be transferred from
one post or function to another during the period of assignment.
14. Denmark shall cover all fees, salaries, and costs of the Personnel in accordance with the
4 Ministry of Foreign Affairs' rules and regulations, unless covered by ......... as stipulated in
paragraph 15 below.
15. In respect of the Personnel ......... will, unless otherwise agreed, provide office space, transport,
secretarial services and other necessary facilities in accordance with conditions accorded to
Personnel assigned to ......... by other countries or international organisations. ......... shall grant
leave of absence on account of vacation, sickness, pregnancy, or childbirth in accordance with
the respective employment contracts.
16. ......... shall undertake that the expatriate Personnel and their spouses and dependents are:
a) exempted from national service and any other military obligations; b) entitled to open bank accounts, exempted from any currency or foreign exchange
restrictions imposed on external funds introduced into ........., and allowed to exchange
and to export such funds as well as any proceeds of household goods and personal
effects imported and/or sold in accordance with the provisions in paragraphs 17 and 18
c) exempted from professional registration and license requirements.
17. ......... shall make provision for the exemption of the expatriate Personnel and their spouses
and dependents from:
a) personal income tax or any other direct tax or charge, including contributions to
national social security schemes, in respect of any emoluments paid to them by
Denmark for their services in ......... under this Agreement;
b) duty to submit to ......... authorities any tax or financial declarations required from the
citizens of ......... or aliens residing in ......... for the emoluments mentioned above and c) all customs duties, taxes, and other related charges imposed on the import and export of
new as well as used household goods and personal effects for the normal everyday use
of the family, including a motor vehicle for their exclusive use imported by this
Personnel and their spouses and dependents or purchased from a bonded ware-house
in ........., within 6 months after their arrival in ……., subject to reexport on completion
of service or payment of duties and taxes in relation to its market price if sold locally
unless to a person entitled to the same privileges.
18. In the event that a motor vehicle referred to above is damaged beyond repair at reasonable
5 costs or otherwise lost without neglect on the part of the expatriate Personnel or their spouses
and dependents, the exemptions mentioned in that paragraph apply to the importation or
purchase of a new motor vehicle irrespective of any time limit.
19. In the event that an expatriate Personnel or his/her spouse and dependents due to theft or
burglary has lost one or more personal items (i.e. TV, video, radio, CD-player, record player,
tape recorder, computer etc.) and after providing a police report regarding the event, or due to
an item has been damaged beyond repair, ......... shall allow importation or purchase of new
equipment substituting the stolen or damaged equipment irrespective of any time limit.
20. ......... shall issue without undue delay free multiple entry and exit visas for the expatriate
Personnel, spouses and dependents as well as residence permits, work permits and other
necessary permits and/or authorizations for the entire duration of the assignment.
21. ......... shall render assistance in clearance through customs of effects mentioned under 17 c)
and 18 vide of this Article V.
22. ......... shall facilitate the issuance of national driver's licenses to the expatriate Personnel and
their spouses and dependents who hold a valid license from Denmark or another country or
allow the use of international driver's licenses and furthermore facilitate the registration of
vehicles for the personal use of the Personnel and their spouses and dependents.
Liability and Indemnification
1. ......... shall indemnify Denmark and its Personnel for any loss and any liability arising from
actions or omissions on the part of one or several of the above-mentioned persons within the
framework of the activities, actions or operations comprised by or executed pursuant to this
Agreement, and causing either death or injury to any third party or damage to any property of
third party in so far as such liability for damage is not covered by an insurance in full and shall
renounce any right of recourse or procedural steps in connection herewith except in cases of
wilful misconduct or gross negligence on the part of one or several of the above-mentioned
6 2. Provided that ......... indemnifies Denmark or one or several of the above-mentioned persons
in the case of recourse or any other procedural steps in connection with liability for tort in
conformity with paragraph 1 of this Article, ......... shall be entitled to exercise and enforce any
right of recourse, counterclaim, insurance, indemnity, contribution, or guarantee to which
Denmark or the Personnel may have become entitled.
3. Upon request from ........., Denmark shall grant the relevant ......... authorities appropriate
administrative or legal assistance in order to resolve such problems that may arise from the
implementation of paragraphs 1 or 2 above.
1. For the purpose of this Agreement the term "Commodities" shall mean goods, materials,
vehicles, machinery, equipment, spare parts and any other commodities made available by
Denmark or Executing Agencies for Projects under this Agreement or any other commodities
delivered to ......... under the Specific Agreements.
2. Denmark shall, unless otherwise agreed in the Specific Agreements:
a) cover the actual costs such as purchase, transport and, as appropriate, insurance
connected with each consignment of the Commodities;
b) be in charge of the procurement and delivery of the Commodities to .........; c) require that the Executing Agencies notify designated agencies in ......... of the estimated
date of the arrival of the consignment immediately upon dispatch, and forward shipping
documents, invoices, and other related information to them.
3. ......... shall, unless otherwise agreed in Specific Agreements:
a) notify Denmark if necessary of the documentation required for customs clearance
agents to be used of the documentation required for customs clearance and inform
Denmark of the import and customs clearance procedures applied in .........; b) promptly issue, free of charge, the necessary import licenses and other permits on
importation of the commodities;
c) exempt the Commodities from, or bear the costs of all customs duties, taxes and other
7 related charges pertaining to their entry into ......... as well as exempt the Commodities
from all prohibitions and restrictions on import or export;
d) ensure swift and safe reception, handling, clearing, forwarding as well as storing and
onward transportation of the imported Commodities;
e) take all appropriate measures and institute any proceedings that may be necessary with
regard to claims for loss or damage whether total or partial of any consignment of
Commodities and notify Denmark promptly thereafter;
f) facilitate the registration of motor vehicles brought into .........
4. The Commodities, including the Programme vehicles, shall become the property of ......... at
the time to be specified in each Specific Agreement or subsequently be reexported. However,
the Commodities shall always be at the exclusive disposal of the respective Project,
Programme or other Joint Activity under this Agreement during their implementation.
1. Fellowships for studies in Denmark or other countries will be available from project and
programme funds for candidates affiliated with activities financed by Denmark and duly
nominated by …………… subject to approval by Denmark. In addition limited funds are
available for courses and seminars within policy and strategic matters..
2. Fellowships are granted for specialized studies only to candidates who have completed their
basic studies. Study programmes will ordinarily be prepared in English.
3. Fellowships cover:
a) The cost of travel from duty station to place of study and return;
b) all living costs and tuition fees, books and other tools and personal expenses during the
study period in accordance with current rules and rates of Denmark.
4. ......... shall pay the Fellow’s salary and other allowances as per rules and regulations.
5. ………….. shall guarantee that the Fellow can return to his/her former position in ……….
Upon completion of the study programme..
For the follow-up and evaluation of the cooperation as well as for the planning of future cooperation
the Competent Authorities shall be available to each other for mutual consultation and give each other
such information as may be reasonably requested.
Settlement of Disputes
Any difference or dispute concerning the interpretation or implementation of this Agreement shall be
settled by negotiation between the Parties.
This Agreement may be amended or supplemented by mutual consent of the contracting parties by
exchange of letters.
Entry into force and termination
1. This Agreement shall enter into force on the date of its signature.
2. This Agreement shall remain valid for a period of five years. Its validity shall be automatically
extended for successive periods of five years unless terminated by either party giving a six
months' written notice to the other party.
3. The "Agreement on Technical Cooperation between The Government of the Kingdom of
Denmark and the Government of the......... on Technical Cooperation" signed in … on ….. is
4. This Agreement shall also cover Projects already initiated at the entry into force of the
Done in …… on …….. in two originals in the English language both texts being equally authentic.
For and on behalf of the For and on behalf of the
Government of the Kingdom Government of ………