41.For many patients, institutional care is the most ______ and beneficial form of care
A) pertinent B) appropriate C) acute D) persistent
42.Among all the changes resulting from the ______ entry of women into the work force, the transformation that has occurred in the women themselves is not the least important.
A) massive B) quantitative C) surplus D) formidable
43.Mr. Smith became very ______ when it was suggested that he had made a mistake.
A) ingenious B) empirical C) objective D) indignant
44.Rumours are everywhere, spreading fear, damaging reputations, and turning calm situations into ______ ones.
A) turbulent B) tragic C) vulnerable D) suspicious
45.The ______ cycle of life and death is a subject of interest to scientists and philosophers alike.
A) incompatible B) exceeding C) instantaneous D) eternal
46.She remains confident and ______ untroubled by our present problems.
A) indefinitely B) infinitely C) optimistically D) seemingly
47.Fiber-optic cables can carry hundreds of telephone conversations ______.
A. simultaneously B) spontaneously C) homogeneously D) contemporarily
48.The police were alerted that the escaped criminal might be in the ______.
A) vain B) vicinity C) court D) jail
49.Whether you live to eat or eat to live, food is a major ______ in every family’s budget.
A) nutrition B) expenditure C) routine D) provision
50.Now a paper in Science argues that organic chemicals in the rock come mostly from ______ on earth rather than
bacteria on Mars.
A) configuration B) constitution C) condemnation D) contamination
51.There is much I enjoy about the changing seasons, but my favorite time is the ______ from fall to winter.
A) transmission B) transformation C) transition D) transfer
52.I think we need to see an investment ______ before we make an expensive mistake.
A) guide B) entrepreneur C) consultant D) assessor
53.The ______ on this apartment expires in a year’s time.
A) treaty B) lease C) engagement D) subsidy
54.The elderly Russians find it hard to live on their state ______.
A) pensions B) earnings C) salaries D) donations
55.There is supposed to be a safety ______ which makes it impossible for trains to collide.
A) appliance B) accessory C) machine D) mechanism
56.After four years in the same job his enthusiasm finally ______.
A) deteriorated B) dispersed C) dissipated D) drained
57.No one can function properly if they are _______ of adequate sleep.
A) deprived B) ripped C) stripped D) contrived
58.For years now, the people of that faraway country have been cruelly ______ by a dictator.
A) depressed B) immersed C) oppressed D) cursed
59.Ever since the rise of industrialism, education has been ______ towards producing workers.
A) harnessed B) hatched C) motivated D) geared
60.The prospect of increased prices has already ______ worries.
A) provoked B) irritated C) inspired D) hoisted
61.The suspect ______ that he had not been in the neighbourhood at the time of the crime.
A) advocated B) alleged C) addressed D) announced
Http://www.99brother.com第 1 页 共 9 页E-mail:email@example.com
62.Although the colonists ______ to some extent with the native Americans , the Indians’influence on American
culture and language was not extensive.
A) migrated B) matched C) mingled D) melted
63.E-mail is a convenient, highly democratic informal medium for conveying messages that _______ well to
A) adheres B) reflects C) conforms D) satisfies
64.The wings of the bird still ______ after it had been shot down.
A) slapped B) scratched C) flapped D) fluctuated
65.The disagreement over trade restrictions could seriously ?______ relations between the two countries.
A) tumble B) jeopardize C) manipulate D) intimidate
66.When you put up wallpaper, should you ______ the edges or put them next to each other?
A) coincide B) extend C) overlap D) collide
67.Under the present system, state enterprises must ______ all profits to the government.
A) turn down B) turn up C) turn out D) turn in
68.Oil companies in the U.S. are already beginning to feel the pressure. Refinery workers and petroleum-
equipment-manufacturing employees are being _______.
A) laid out B) laid off C) laid down D) laid aside
69.We’ll ______ you for any damage done to your house while we are in it.
A) compensate B) remedy C) supplement D) retrieve
70.She cut her hair short and tried to ______ herself as a man.
A) decorate B) disguise C) fabricate D) fake
41.If you want this painkiller,you’ll have to ask the doctor for a ______.
A)transaction B)permit C)settlement D)prescrition
42.The ______ form childhood to adulthood is always critical time for everybody.
A)conversion B)transition C)turnover D)transformation
43.It is hard to tell whether we are going to have b boom in the economy or a ______.
A)concession C)submission B)recession D)transmission
44.His use of color,light and form quickly departed from the conventional style of his as ______ he developed own
A)descendants B)predecessors C)successors D)ancestors
45.Failure in a required subject may result in the ______of a diploma.
A)refusal B)betrayal C)denial D)burial
46.To help students understand how we see,teachers often draw an ______between an eye and a camera. A)image B)analogy C)denial D)axis
47.A 1994 World Bank report concluded that ______girls in school was probably the single most effective
anti-poverty policy in the developing world today.
A)assigning B)admitting C)invlving D)enrolling
48.The authome of report is well ______with the problems in the hospital because he has been working there for many years.
A)acquainted B)informed C)accustomed D)known
49.When the farmers visited the city the first time.they were ______by its complicated traffic system. A)precludes B)bewildered C)diverted D)expires
50.If Japan ______ its relation with that country it will have to find another supplier of rawmaterials. A)precludes B)terminates C)partitions D)expires
51.They were ______ in their swcientific research,not knowing what happened just outside their lab.
Http://www.99brother.com第 2 页 共 9 页E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
A)submerged B)drowned C)immersed D)dipped
52.You should ______ to one or more weekly magazines such as time,or Newsweek. A)ascribe B)order C)reclaim D)subscribe
53.The automatic doors in supermarkets ______the entry and exit of customers with shopping carts. A)furnish B)induce C)facilitate D)allocate
54.Each workday,the workers followed the same schedules and rarely ______from this routine. A)deviated B)disconnected C)detached D)distored
55.The little girl was ______ by the death of her dog since her affection for the pet had been real and deep.
A)grieved B)suppressed C)oppressed D)sustained
56.Avisitor to a museum today would notice ______ changes in the way museums are operated. A)cognitive B)rigorous C)conspicuous D)exclusive
57.Most people tend to think ghey are so efficient at their job that they are ______ . A)inaccessible B)irreversible C)immovable D)irreplaceable
58.Bejing impatient is ______ with being a good teacher.
A)intrinsic B)ingenious C)incompatible D)inherent
59.For a particular reason,he wanted the information to be treated as ______. A)assured B)reserved C)intimate D)confidential
60.Fortune-tellers are good at marking ______ statements such as “Your sorrows will change,”
A)philosophical B)ambiguous C)literal D)invalid
61.The tenant mush be prepared to decorate the house ______the terms of the contract. A)in the vicinity of B)in quest of C)in accordance with D)in collaboration with 62.The winners of the football championship ran off the field carrying the silver cup ______ . A)turbulently B)tremendously C)triumphantly D)tentatively
63.He said that they had ______ been obliged to give up the scheme for lack of support. A)gravely B)regrettably C)forcibly D)graciously
64.The law on drinking and driving is ______ stated.
A)extravagantly B)empirically C)exceptionally D)explicitly
65.There counms to damages have not been convincingly ______.
A)refuted B)overwhetmed C)cepressed D)intimidated
66.Please don’t ______ too much on the painful memories.Everything will be all right.
A)hesitate B)linger C)retain D)dwell
67.The jobs of wildlife technicians and biologists seemed ______to him ,but one day he discovered their difference.
A)identical B)vertical C)parallel D)specific
68.Mary became ______ homesick and critical of the United States,so the fled from her home in west Bloomfield
to her hometown in Austria.
A)completely B)sincerely C)absolutely D)increasingly
69.Despite almost universal ______of the vital importance of women’s literacy,education remains a dream for far
mary women in far too many countries of the world.
A)identification B)compliment C)confession D)acknowledgement
70.In today’s medical,little agreement exists on the ______for defining mental illness.
A)legislation B)requirement C)criteria D)measures
4l. It was that the restaurant discriminated against black customers.
A) addicted B) alleged C) assaulted D) ascribed
Http://www.99brother.com第 3 页 共 9 页E-mail:email@example.com
42. The medicine his pain but did not care his illness.
A) activated B) alleviated C) mediated D) deteriorated 43. He is the only Person who can in this case, because the other witnesses were killed mysterious1y
A) testify B) charge C) accuse D) rectify
44. Professor Hawking is as one of the world’s greatest living physicists.
A) dignified B) clarified C) acknowledged D) illustrated 45. The financial problem of this company is further by the rise in interest rates. A) increased B) strengthened C) reinforced D) aggravated 46. We shall probably never be able to the exact nature of these sub-atomic particles. A) assert B) impart C) ascertain D) notify
47. All the people in the stadium cheered up when they saw hundreds of colourful balloons slowly into the sky. A) ascending B) elevating C) escalating D) lingering 48. Many years had before they returned to their original urban areas. A) floated B) elapsed C) skipped D) proceeded.
49. What you say now is not with what you said last week.
A) consistent. B) persistent C) permanent D) insistent 50. Military orders are and cannot be disobeyed.
A) defective B) conservative C) alternative D) imperative 5l. Some educators try to put students of similar abilities into the same class because they believe this kind of
grouping is advisable.
A) homogeneous B) instantaneous C) spontaneous D) anonymous 52. Even sensible men do things sometimes.
A) abrupt B) absurd C) acute D) apt
53. The commission would find itself at every turn if its members couldn't reach an agreement.
A) collided B) savaged C) crumbled D) hampered
54. Grain production in the word is but still millions go hungry.
A) staggering B) shrinking C) soaring D) suspending 55. He developed a attitude after years of frustration in his career A) sneaking B) disgusted C) drastic D) cynical
56. They believed that this was not the of their campaign for equality but merely the beginning.
A) climax B) summit C) pitch D) maximum
57. Several guests were waiting in the for the front door to open.
A) porch B) vent C) inlet D) entry
58. As the mountains were covered with a of cloud, we couldn't see their tops. A) coating B) film C) veil D) shade
59. We couldn't really afford to buy a house so we got it on for purchase and paid monthly A) investments B) requirements C) arrangements D) installment 60. The magician made us think he cut the girl into pieces but it was merely an
A) illusion B) impression C) image D) illumination 6l. A good education is an you can fall back on for the rest of your life. A) asset B) ethic C) inventory D) obligation
62. Giving a gift can convey a wealth of meaning about your appreciation of their and the importance you place
upon the relationship.
A) solidarity B) priority C) superiority D) hospitality 63. The designer has applied for a for his new invention.
Http://www.99brother.com第 4 页 共 9 页E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
A) tariff B) discount C) version D) patent
64. The toy maker produces a copy of the space station, exact in every detail.
A) minimal B) minimum C) miniature D) minor
65. An energy tax would curb ordinary air pollution, limit oil imports and cut the budget .
A) disposition B) discrepancy C) defect D) deficit
66. They have decided to physical punishment in all local schools.
A) put away B) breakaway from C) do away with D) pass away
67. Astronauts are all kinds of tests before they are actuaI1y sent up in a spacecraft. A) inclined to B) subjected to C) prone to D) bound to
68. Individual sports are run by over 370 independent governing bodies whose functions usually include
rules, holding events, selecting national teams and promoting international links. A) drawing on B) drawing in C) drawing up D) drawing down
69. Up until that time. his interest had focused almost on fully mastering the skills and techniques of his craft. A) restrictively B) radically C) inclusively D) exclusively
70. All the ceremonies at the 2000 Olympic Games had a unique Australian flavor, of their multicultural
A) noticeable B) indicative C) conspicuous D) implicit
41. It is generally known that New York is a city for and a center for odd bits of information.
A) veterans B) victims C) pedestrians D) eccentrics
42. High grades are supposed to academic ability, but John's actual performance did not confirm this.
A) certify B) clarify C) classify D) notify
43. In spite of the , it seemed that many of the invited guests would still show up.
A) deviation B) distinction C) controversy D) comparison
44. The relatives of those killed in the crash got together to seek
A) premium B) compensation C) repayment D) refund
45. At first everything went well with the project but recently we have had a number of with the machinery.
A) disturbances B) setbacks C) outputs D) distortions
46. He tried to hide his ________ patch by sweeping his hair over to one side.
A) barren B) bare C) bald D) bleak
47. The old couple now still ________ for their beloved son, 30 years after his death.
A) cherish B) groan C) immerse D) mourn
48. Coffee is the ________ of this district and brings local farmers a lot of money.
A) majority B) staple C) spice D) elite
49. Before we move, we should ____ some of the old furniture, so that we can have more room in the new house.
A) discard B) dissipate C) cancel D) conceal
50. You cannot imagine how ________ I feel with my duties sometimes.
A) overflowed B) overthrown C) overwhelmed D) overturned
51. Anyone not paying the registration fee'by the end of this month will be__ to have withdrawn from the program.
A) contemplated B) deemed C) acknowledged D) anticipated
52. Although he was on a diet, the delicious food ________ him enormously.
A) distracted B) stimulated C) inspired D) tempted t
53. The police are trying to ________ what really happened.
A) ascertain B) assert C) avert D) ascribe
54. He said that ending the agreement would ________ the future of small or family-run shops, lead to fewer
Http://www.99brother.com第 5 页 共 9 页E-mail:email@example.com
books being published and increase prices of all but a few bestsellers.
A) venture B) expose C) jeopardize D) legalize
55. As we know, computers are used to store and ________ information efficiently.
A) reclaim B) reconcile C) reassure D) retrieve
56. His illness first ________ itself as severe stomach pains and headaches.
A) expressed B) manifested C) reflected D) displayed
57. The ________ they felt for each other was obvious to everyone who saw them.
A) affection B) adherence C) sensibility D) sensitivity
58. When construction can begin depends on how soon the ________ of the route is completed.
A) conviction B) identity C) orientation D) survey
59. The government ________ a heavy tax on tobacco, which aroused opposition from the tobacco industry.
A) pronounced B) imposed C) complied D) prescribed
60. Years after the accident he was still ________ by images of death and destruction.
A) twisted B) dipped C) haunted D) submerged
61. The boxer ________ and almost fell when his opponent hit him.
A) staggered B) shattered C) scattered D) stamped
62. In mountainous regions, much of the snow that falls is ________ into ice.
A) dispersed B) embodied C) compiled D) compacted
63. These continual ________ in temperature make it impossible to decide what to wear.
A) transitions B) transformations C) exchanges D) fluctuations
64. The post-World War II baby ________ resulted in a 43 percent increase in the number of teenagers inthe
1960s and 1970s.
A) boost B) boom C) production D) prosperity
65. Elisabeth did not enter the museum at once, but ________ in the courtyard.
A) resided B) dwelled C) lingered D) delayed
66. Henry went through the documents again carefully for fear of ________ any important data.
A) relaying B) overlooking C) deleting D) revealing
67. The bank is offering a ________ to anyone who can give information about the robbery.
A) reward B) bonus C) prize D) compliment
68. It is a(n) ________ that the French eat so much rich food and yet have a relatively low rate of heart disease.
A) analogy B) paradox C) correlation D) illusion
69. For many years the Japanese have ________ the car market.
A) presided B) occupied C) operated D) dominated
70. The subject of safety must be placed at the top of the ________.
A) agenda B) bulletin C) routine D) timetable
41. My grandfather, a retired worker, often ________ the past with a feeling of longing and respect.
A) considers B) contemplates C) contrives D) contacts
42. Medical students are advised that the wearing of a white coat ________ the acceptance of a professional code
of conduct expected of the medical profession.
A) supplements B) simulates C) signifies D) swears
43. The doctors ________ the newly approved drug into the patient when he was critically ill.
A) injected B) ejected C) projected D) subjected
44. Apart from philosophical and legal reasons for respecting patients' wishes, there are several practical reasons
why doctors should ________ to involve patients in their own medical care decisions.
Http://www.99brother.com第 6 页 共 9 页E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
A) enforce B) endow C) endeavor D) enhance
45. This is a long ________ - roughly 13 miles down a beautiful valley to the little church below.
A) terrain B) descent C) degeneration D) tumble
46. She was deeply ________ by the amount of criticism her play received.
A) deported B) deprived C) involved D) frustrated
47. Some scientists are dubious of the claim that organisms ________ with age as an inevitable outcome of living.
A) depress B) default C) deteriorate D) degrade
48. Many manufacturers were accused of concentrating too heavily on cost reduction, often at the ________ of the
quality of their products.
A) expense B) exposure C) expansion D) expectation
49. One witness ________ that he'd seen the suspect run out of the bank after it had been robbed.
A) convicted B) conformed C) retorted D) testified
50. Nothing Helen says is ever ________. She always thinks carefully before she speaks.
A) simultaneous B) homogenous C) spontaneous D) rigorous
51. She gave ________ directions about the way the rug should be cleaned.
A) explicit B) brisk C) transient D) opaque
52. It took a lot of imagination to come up with such a(n) ________ plan.
A) inherent B) ingenious C) vigorous D) exotic
53. A ________ official is one who is irresponsible in his work.
A) timid B) tedious C) suspicious D) slack
54. Most mathematicians trust their ________ in solving problems and readily admit they would not be able to
function without it.
A) conception B) perceptionC) intuition D) cognition
55. He had an almost irresistible ________ to talk to the crowd when he entered Hyde Park.
A) impulse B) instinct C) stimulation D) surge
56. Encouraged by their culture to voice their opinions freely, the Canadians are not afraid to go against the group
________, and will argue their viewpoints enthusiastically, though rarely aggressively.
A) consent B) conscience C) consensus D) consciousness
57. He still ________ the memory of his carefree childhood spent in that small wooden house of his grandparents'.
A) nourishes B) cherishes C) fancies D) scans
58. She expressed her strong determination that nothing could ________ her to give up her career as a teacher.
A) induce B) deduce C) reduce D) attract
59. The microscope and telescope, with their capacity to enlarge, isolate and probe, demonstrate how details can be
________ and separated from the whole.
A) radiated B) extended C) prolonged D) magnified
60. Lighting can be used not only to create an atmosphere, but also to ________ features of the house, such as
ornaments or pictures.
A) highlight B) underline C) activate D) upgrade
61. By turning this knob to the right you can ________ the sound from the radio.
A) intensify B) amplify C) enlarge D) reinforce
62. One of the attractive features of the course was the way the practical work had been ________ with the
theoretical aspects of the subject.
A) embedded B) embraced C) integrated D) synthesized
63. They couldn't see a ________ of hope that they would be saved by a passing ship.
A) grain B) span C) slice D) gleam
64. The traditional markets retain their ________ for the many Chinese who still prefer fresh food like live fish,
Http://www.99brother.com第 7 页 共 9 页E-mail:email@example.com
ducks, chickens over packaged or frozen goods.
A) appeal B) pledge C) image D) survival
65. ________ efforts are needed in order to finish important but unpleasant tasks.
A) Consecutive B) Condensed C) Perpetual D) Persistent
66. A number of students ________ in flats, and others live in the nearby holiday resorts, where there is a
reasonable supply of competitively priced accommodation.
A) revive B) inhabit C) gather D) reside
67. He bought his house on the________ plan, paying a certain amount of money each month.
A) division B) premium C) installment D) fluctuation
68. He could not ________ ignorance as his excuse; he should have known what was happening in his department.
A) petition B) plead C) resort D) reproach
69. Many ecologists believe that lots of major species in the world are on the________ of extinction.
A) margin B) border C) verge D) fringe
70. Any salesperson who sells more than the weekly ________ will receive a bonus.
A) ratio B) quota C) allocation D) portion
41-45 DBBBC 46-50 BDABB
51-55 CDCAA 56-60 CDCDB
61-65 CCBDA 66-70 DADDC
41. B 42. B 43. A 44. C 45. D
46. C 47. A 48. B 49. A 50. D
51. A 52. B 53. B 54. C 55. D
56. A 57. A 58. C 59. D 60. A
61. A 62. D 63. D 64. C 65. D
66. C 67. C 68. C 69. D 70. B
41. D) eccentrics 42. A) certify 43. C) controversy 44. B) compensation 45. B) setbacks 46. C) bald 47. D) mourn 48. B) staple 49. A) discard
50. C) overwhelmed 51. B) deem 52. D) tempted 53. A) ascertain 54. C) jeopardize 55. D) retrieve 56. B) manifested 57. A) affection 58. D)
survey 59. B) imposed 60. C) haunted 61. A) staggered 62. D) compacted 63. D) fluctuations 64. B) boom 65. C) lingered 66. B) overlooking
67. A) reward 68. B) paradox 69. D)dominated 70. A) agenda
41.B) contemplates 42.C) signifies 43.A) injected 44.C) endeavor 45.B) descent 46.D) frustrated
47.C) deteriorate 48.A) expense 49.D) testified 50.C) spontaneous 51.A) explicit 52.B) ingenious
53.D) slack 54.C) intuition 55.A) impulse 56.C) consensus 57.B) cherishes 58.A) induce 59.D) magnified
60.A) highlight 61.B) amplify 62.C) integrated 63.D) gleam 64.A) appeal 65.D) Persistent 66.D) reside
67.C) installment 68.B) plead 69.C) verge 70.B) quota
Http://www.99brother.com第 8 页 共 9 页E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
Http://www.99brother.com第 9 页 共 9 页E-mail:email@example.com