Topic: Unit 6 Doing housework
Part A in Unit 6 of 5A Oxford English Book
1. Four skill words and phrases: morning, ring, Maths, at home, help…with… 2. Three skill words: Are you free now? See you this afternoon. 3. Learn to say the dialogue ―Doing housework‖.
4. Learn how to make a telephone call in English.
5. Enable students to master the grammar about the present continuous tense. 6. Encourage students to do housework at home.
Teaching key points:
1. Learn to say the four skill words and phrases: morning, ring, Maths, at home,
2. Learn to say the dialogue ―Doing housework‖
The sentence patterns about the present continuous tense.
CAI, word cards, Tape Recorder & pictures
Hello! Boys and girls. I’m from Wujiang Shengze Central Primary School. My name is Shen Xiaozhong. I'm your new English teacher, and I'm your good friend, too. You can call me Mr Shen. I’m very happy to come to your school. Your school is very nice and large. I like it very much. Do you like your school?
Step 1 Warm up and free talk
T: First, let's answer some questions. (Show some questions)
1. Is there a computer in your classroom?
2. How many boys and girls are there in our class?
3. T: What is Mr Shen / he / she doing? (Teacher makes some body languages, students try to guess and say)
S: You’re / He’s / She’s …
4. T: What are you doing?
S: I’m/ We’re … (having an English lesson)
Goal: A serials of questions are able to remind the students of the sentence patterns which they have learnt before, and also, this step is necessary for the beginning of an English class.
Step 2 Lead in and presentation
1. Lead in
T: This is Su Yang and Su Hai’s new house. It’s Sunday morning. (Show a picture of Su Yang and Su Hai’s new house via CAI)
T: Who can you see in this picture?
S: I can see Nancy, Su Hai and Su Yang.
T: Where are they?
S: They’re …
T: They’re at home.(Teach the phrase: at home , write "at home" on the Bb) T: What are Su Hai and Su Yang doing? Are they free? (Teach the phrase: "Be free" ,
write "Be free" on the Bb)
S: No, they aren’t. They’re doing housework.
T: Good. Su Yang and Su Hai are not free now, they’re doing housework. 2. Teach the new word" housework‖
T: Let’s learn "housework". Can you read it? I can give you some hints. (Show a
fold word card of ―housework‖ which the part of "work" is hinted) Can you read it? Ss: / 'ha妔/
Can you spell "house"?
S1: Yes, I can, H-o-u-s-e.
T: Well done. (Unfold the right part of the word card.)Now this word is
―housework‖ . It means you work in your house.
T: Who can spell "housework" now?
S3: I can, H-O-U-S-E-W-O-R-K.
T: Good, please Read after me / 'ha妔w\:k/
T: Excellent. Do/can you do housework?
S4: Yes, I do/can.
T: Do you like doing housework?
S: Yes, I do. /No, I don’t.
T: Well, I think a boy or girl who can do housework at home must be a good child.
Goal: This step is to let students know that helping our parents do housework at home is necessary and significant.
2. T: (Teacher makes the telephone ring via the courseware) Listen! The telephone is ringing! (T shows the word ―ring‖ and the –ing form of ―ring‖, introduce the –ing
form of the verb means the present actions or movements, then let students learn to say and spell the word.)
T: Now, please look at the picture. Let’s try to say the dialogue together.
Teacher demonstrates some beginnings of the sentence and then, the students try to finish the left parts.
T: It is… Ss: Sunday morning.
T: Su Yang and Su Hai are… Ss: at home.
T: They are… Ss: doing housework.
T: The telephone is… Ss: ringing.
T: (Teacher starts the flash animation of Part A) Now, let’s watch the flash and then
read after it.
Goal: In this step, Ss try to imitate the pronunciation and intonation according to the multimedia, the audio and video program are able to stimulate their interests of learning English, and also promote their effective learning in English. Their listening and speaking ability could be enhanced.
3. T: The telephone is ringing. Who can you see in this part?
S: I can see Su Hai and Nancy.
T: Yes, Su Hai and Nancy are calling. First, let’s look at ―Is that…?‖ (Introduce the phrase ―Is that…?‖)
T: Let’s practice this dialogue with your patterns, and later we’ll ask some pairs to give us a performance. (Ss practice in pairs by themselves.)
(Ask some pairs to say the dialogue, and the others listen to them)
T: Wonderful! Shall we give them some claps?
T: Now, let’s look at this picture. (Show Picture 2)
Answer my question: What is Su Hai doing?
S: She’s sweeping the floor.
T: Yes, how about Su Yang? Is she sweeping the floor, too?
S: No, she’s not. She’s cleaning the windows.
T: Yes, Su Hai and Su Yang are not free now, they’re doing housework, but how about Nancy? Is she free now? Now, let’s look, answer the question" What is Nancy doing? " .
4.(Ss watch the animation of the multimedia)
T: What is Nancy doing?
S: She’s doing homework.
T: Yes, Nancy is doing her homework. (Introduce "homework") It means the work for our students to do at home.---That is"homework". Can you do homework?
Ss: Yes,we can.
T: Good, But Nancy can’t do her homework. So, she needs some help, Can you help
Ss: No, we can’t.
T: Who can help her?
S: Su Hai can help her.
T: Excellent! Yes, Nancy can’t do her homework. She is asking Su Hai to help her with her Maths. ；Introduce the phrase "help ...with... " ,Write it on the blackboard？
Can you use "help ...with... " to make a sentence.
S1: ** can help me with my English.
S2: Can you come and help me with my Chinese.
Goal: In order to help Ss to understand the differences between the simple present forms and present continuous of verbs, I show these phrases in the way of present
forms, and I also think this way I present the words can help students master the pronunciation and spelling easily.
5. (Learn the word ―Maths‖ , tell them that we should use a capital letter in the first letter of a word for some subjects. For example; Chinese？ English, Music …etc)
T: What time can Su Hai help Nancy? This morning?
S: No, This afternoon.
T: Well done, now open your books, please. Let’s read the dialogue after the tape。
6. Let Ss watch the flash of the text and then practice in role plays.
7. Ask some pairs to act out the dialogue.
Step 3 Consolidation
1. Fill in the blanks.
1). It is Sunday morning, Su Hai and Su Yang are _____ (at, in) home. They are ___ (do, does, doing) housework. The telephone is _____(ring, ringing).
2). —— What are you doing?
—— I’m _______ (sweep, sweeping) the floor.
3). ——What is she ______ (do, does, doing)?
——She’s _____ (clean, cleaning) the windows.
Goal: This step is designed to help Ss consolidate the grammar about the verb of Present Continuous tense.
2. Organize Ss to make some new telephone calls according to the sentence patterns which they have learnt in this lesson: ―Are you free? What are you doing? Can you come and help me with ... Shall we go...‖ etc.
Goal: It is useful to encourage Ss to communicate with each other, and it is also very important in teaching and the development of students as an individual. Task-based teaching method is used here. That is to say, students can learn and practice their English in real situation. Teacher can know if they have mastered the knowledge from what they did, and what they say.
Step 4 Homework
1. Listen to the tape and read Part A for 4 times, try to recite it. 2. Make a telephone call in English after school.
3. Do a kind of housework for your parents after school.
Step 5 Finish
T: Thank you very much, boys and girls. I enjoyed today’s lesson very much. See
Ss: See you!
Unit 6 Doing housework
ring, at home, be free, Maths, help…with…
Is that …?
What are you doing?
What is she doing?