【法规名称】 AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF MALAWI ON MEDICAL COOPERATION
AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA
AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF MALAWI ON MEDICAL
The Government of the Republic of China and the Government of t-he Republic of Malawi
(hereinafter referred to as the "Contract-ing Parties");
BEING desirous to strengthen and consolidate the existing frien-dly relations between
the two countries; and
WISHI NG to promote medical cooperation;
HEREBY AGREE as follows:
(1) The Government of the Republic of China, at the request ofthe Government of the
Republic of Malawi, agrees to dispatcha Medical Mission of ten to fifteen personnel (hereinafterreferred to as the Mission) to serve in the Central Hospitalat Mzuzu City in
the Republic of Malawi.
(2) The expertise of the Mission members shall be decided by theContracting Parties.
(1) The purpose of the Mission is, under the close cooperationwith the medical personnel of the Central Hospital at MzuzuCity, to undertake therapeutic and preventive
medical activ-ities and offering consultative medical service.
(2) The Mission shall not engage in matters relating to forensicmedicine.
The Government of the Republic of Malawi agrees to provide expe-nditures, medical
personnel and administrative support necessaryfor the operation of the Central Hospital
at Mzuzu City.
The Government of the Republic of China agrees to paytravel e-xpenses for members of
the Mission to and from the Republic ofMalawi, and their salaries, allowances, insurance fees and localtransportationin the Republic of Malawi.
The Government of the Republic of Malawi agrees to:
(1) provide members of the Mission, free of charge, furnished h-ousing and offices
in the compound ofthe Central Hospitalat Mzuzu City;
(2) exempt members of the Mission from taxes on their salariesand allowances earned from outside Malawi;
(3) exempt members of the Mission and their dependants from allimport tariffs, duties and other taxes on their personal andhousehold effects for a period ofsix months beginning
fromtheirarrival in the Republic of Malawi. The members of theMission willalso be exempted from export tariffs, dutiesand other taxes for personal effects shipped out of the Rep-ublic of Malawi at the end of their service;
(4) exempt the Mission from all import tariffs, duties and othertaxes on the medicine, medical equipment, machinery and oth-er materials required for the work of the Mission and facil-itate customs clearance ; and
(5) provide adequate security tomembers of the Mission and gr-ant them the same
courteous treatment as isaccorded to thepersonnel of any third nation or ofanyinternational org-anization serving in the field of technical cooperationinthe Republic of Malawi.
(1) The Government of the Republic of China agrees to provide s-pecialist training
to Malawian medical doctors selected bythe Government of the Republic of Malawi. The selected Mala-wian trainees must have at least one year of clinical pract-ice experience
at a medical institution to qualify for atte-nding the training program. The Malawian
trainees may perfo-rm medical services necessary for their training under theinstructions of and supervision by the medical doctors of t-he Republic of China. The number of Malawian trainees and t-he content of the training courses shall be decided by theContracting Parties. The Malawian trainees shall meet the q-ualifications set down by the Contracting
Parties in accord-ance with their respective laws and regulations and shall n-ot bring
their dependants to live with them in the Republicof China during their training period.
(2) The Government of the Republic of China shall pay the travelexpenses of Malawian participants to and from the Republicof China, their living and training expenses as well as med-ical and accident insurance fees during their stay in the R-epublic of China.
(3) The Malawian participants shall obey the regulations set do-wn by the training
institution during their stay in the Rep-ublic of China.
(4) The Government of the Republic of China agrees to subsidizethe Malawian participants travel expenses to and from the R-epublic of China once to visit their
dependants in Malawi a-fter they have stayed in the Republic of China for one year.ARTICLE VII
(1) The Malawian participants mentioned in Article VI should fu-lfill the obligation
to return to the Republic of Malawi toserve at the Central Hospital in Mzuzu City or at the insti-tution assigned by the Government of the Republic of Malawiafter they have completed the training courses in the Repub-lic of China. The period oftheircompulsory
service shou-ld be equal to that of their training courses.
(2) The Government of the Republic of China agrees to pay, thro-ugh the Embassy of
the Republic of China to the Republic ofMalawi, monthly encouragement allowances to the Malawian do-ctors who will serve compulsorily. It also agrees to conferon them certificates of medical doctor training after theyhave completed their compulsory service.
Members of the Mission should be entitled to have the public ho-lidays stipulated by
the Contracting Parties in addition to the-ir annual leave.
The Contracting Parties should handle matters not stipulated inthis Agreement or settle any dispute during the validity of thisAgreement by means of friendly consultation.
This Agreement may be amended by mutual consent by the Contract-ing Parties through
the exchange of diplomatic notes.
This Agreement shall enter into force on the date ofsignatureby the Contracting Parties
and shall remain valid until December31, 2004. This Agreement may be extended upon mutual consent ofthe Contracting Parties through the exchange of diplomatic notes.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned, duly authorized thereto bytheir respective Governments, have signed this Agreement.
DONE in duplicate in Chinese and English, both texts being equa-lly authentic, at
Blantyre on this sixteenth day ofthe secondmonth ofthe ninetieth year ofthe Republic of China, corresp-onding to the sixteenth day ofthe second month ofthe year t-wo thousand
For the Government ofFor the Government ofthe Republic of China the Republic of MalawiTzu-dan WuAleke K. Banda
Deputy Minister of Foreign AffairsMinister of Health andPopulation