The One Minute Entrepreneur
Don Hutson, CPAE
Memphis, TN 38103
www.DonHutson.com • email: Don@DonHutson.com
March 5, 2010
I. Creating a Success Environment
“The best way to predict your future is
to create it!”
Dr. Peter Drucker
A. Defining Attitude… “The Spirit and demeanor we C_____ to
adapt and display to others from a given stimulus”
1. Never deny that your attitude is your Choice
2. When we E________ positive behavior we increase the
probability of getting positive R________
B. Motivation Defined
1. Thoreau: “Motivation is the pull of A_____________ and the
push of Discipline”
2. A.K.A. “F______ in the B_______”
a. What is it? A P________ for results
b. How long does it last?
c. Key: The D__________ we make!
3. The impact of S_____- I_____ on our level of motivation
a. We all have a “P_________ self-image”
b. We also have a “P_________ self-image”
c. Understand the power of the Deviation between the two!
II. Leaders See The Big Picture
"Companies that manage and lead people right,
will outperform companies that don’t
by 30% to 40%.”
A. Creating The Future
This model is called the “Success Model” because it allows you to
choose the O_______ that you desire, and set up a Plan for
successfully achieving these outcomes. In order to accomplish any
desired result, three elements must exist:
Well Reconcile! Success
Specific, Realistic Measurable Steps Assessment to Move Toward of Current Desired Results Situation
“If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you
B. Leadership Defined
"The ability to use P_____________ skills and/or the power of position to
influence the attitudes and B_______________ of others toward the successful
accomplishment of a T________."
C. The leadership challenge: In today's environment of narrow profit
margins and intense competition, there's a need for us to maintain close
C__________ for profitability. We must be rigid and E___________ in
making money, but adaptable and R____________ in dealing with people
and their dignity.
1. A key consideration….
2. People like to do business with and work for people they know,
L_____ and T______!
D. Leadership Theory (Overview)
1. "X" ……. A_________________
2. "Y" ……. P__________________
3. "Z" ……. J___________________
E. Quotes to Consider
4. John Wooden: "When coaching I preferred playing against
an ____ team with a ____ coach, than playing against a ____
team with an ____ coach."
5. Jay Beecroft: "Remember that your people will respect not
only that which you E_______ but that which you I________. "
F. “Theory H” Leadership Style
6. Walk around, I____________, be A____________, and avoid:
a. " S__________ management"
b. Ken Blanchard's "LAZ" (L_______ A______ Z_____)
7. Recognize recent A________________
8. Make P__________ reservedly, but always keep them
9. Keep your people M__________!
10. Critique P_______________ when necessary
11. Respect them, their N________, and ask what you can do
12. Frequently mention V___________ and make them feel a part
13. Be passionate about T____________ -- theirs and yours
14. Reject P____________ (and be a good D______________)
15. Be a skilled C_______________
III. High Performers are Intensely Customer Focused
“Helping a customer should always take
priority over any other task.”
Eckerd Drug Stores
A. Types of Customers
B. The Attitudinal Continuum for Customer Communication
C. Performing Customer Service M__________
1. What is it?
2. What do we need to execute effectively?
3. When do we perform them?
D. The Keith Bennett Story
IV. Coaching Team Members For High Performance
"It's a fine thing to have ability, but the ability to discover ability in others is the true test of leadership."
A. The Importance of Coaching
1. Coaching defined…."Getting your people to develop the
H________ of doing the things which must be done to
2. Skill recognition and assessment
a. Start with a J____ D_______________ - Why?
i. To eliminate M___________________
ii. To clarify E_________________
iii. To zero in on key S________ S______
b. Dealing effectively with "skill-gaps"
i. Always be clarifying and U____________
necessary job skills
ii. Have an organized process of M___________
employee skill levels
iii. Craft a proactive plan with each employee to
C________ any skill gaps in a T__________
B. Don't Sanction I___________________. If/When We Do, We Will
R________________ Counterproductive Behavior. We Sometimes
Fall Into This Trap As Managers Because Of Several Reasons….
1. We feel the need to be L________ so we procrastinate in
addressing tough issues with our people
2. We resist dealing with a negative situation and we hope the
problem will D__________ if we ignore it (this almost N_____
3. We lack the A___________ or willingness to skillfully confront
our people about performance issues
4. We fantasize that an E____, comfortable solution will be
*** To sanction the incompetence ***
of our people is proof of our own!
C. The Gentle Art of Reprimand
1. People expect due process and a code of F___________ which
we are professionally obligated to follow
2. Don't get E__________ -- it almost always makes things worse.
Focus on F_____ and solutions, not B________ and put-downs
3. Your approach should be fair and E__________ in others’ eyes
4. Remember that people and organizations F_________ when
there is no discipline for non-performance
D. Fundamental Elements of One-on-One Coaching
1. Communicate S_______________ clearly
2. Give F____________ skillfully
3. Help your people understand C________________
V. Principles From The One Minute Entrepreneur
“If you do a great job leading your team members,
they will do a great job of pleasing your customers!”
Dr. Ken Blanchard
A. Tips to Develop a Strong Foundation For Success
1. Remember that W_____ is right is more important than W____
2. People love to be treated as if they are I__________
3. Always be looking for opportunities to deliver extraordinary
4. Humility, not E____ will take you to the greatest heights.
5. Success occurs when opportunity and P____________ meet!
Always be R______.
6. Your M________ will help you become more than you are.
7. V__________ desired outcomes ahead of time.
8. Good managers pay attention to D_______...and their people
9. P______ is necessary if we want to survive and ultimately grow
(And without good C_____ management you’re in trouble).
10. P_______ is the applause you and your team members get for
taking good care of your customers.
11. For great joy in life be generous with your T_____, your
T_______ and your W_______.
VI. Great Leaders Deliver Value to every Constituency
A. Understanding Value
1. Anything you can do for others which compels them to see you
as a valuable and exceptional R_________ tends to gain you
business and loyalty
2. Remember that their perception of the value is R________ to
3. Benefit Elaborations:
a. Identify and acknowledge their W______ and how your
offering fulfills them
b. Identify their N______ and articulate how your offering
responds to them
c. Expand on the G________ benefits your offering
provides and how they will help them
d. D____________ value in an energized and compelling
4. The Value-Price Perspective