Advance with English Advance with English
Module 3 Module 3
Unit 3 Back to the past Unit 3 Back to the past
Period 1 Welcome to the unit Period 1 Welcome to the unit
Brief Teaching Plan
; Teaching Objectives:
1. Enable students to get a general idea of some amazing ancient
2. Develop students’ listening, speaking, reading, writing and
3. Promote to form correct values. ; Teaching Important and Difficult Point: Improve students’ speaking and thinking ability. ; Teaching Approaches:
; Form of Activities:
Individual, pair or group work and topic discussions.
; Teaching Aids:
The multimedia and the blackboard ; Teaching Procedures:
Step 1. Lead-in
1. Listen to the song Rivers of Babylon to arouse students’ interest. 2. Ask and answer the two questions;
What do you know about the song?
What do you know about ancient Babylon；
Step 2. Picture Talking
1. Talk about the four pictures in pairs or groups focusing on the
shapes, colors and designs.
2. Ask and answer the question:
Do these pictures have something in common? If so, please describe
it with some adjectives, as many as you can.
Step 3. Reading Task
Ask students to go through the descriptions given for detailed information, and then fill in the form below.
When Where Who Why
The Statue of Zeus
The Hanging Gardens
The Taj Mahal
The Potala Palace
Step 4. Pair Work
1. What other ancient civilizations do you know about?
(Link to some pictures on this topic.)
2. Have you ever gone on a cultural expedition? If so, please tell your stories.
Step 5. Group Discussion
1. Do you think it important to protect cultural heritage? Give your reasons.
2. If you were the mayor of Nanjing, what would you do to protect the cultural heritages in the modern city?
Step 6. Further Questions
1. Do you like traveling? What can traveling bring to us? 2. If you’re going on holiday, where would you like to travel? And why；
Step 7. Homework
1. Search for more information on ancient civilizations on the Internet.
2. Write down your suggestions on how to protect the cultural heritages.