Unit 9 When was it invented?
万 三中 陈国芳
Key words and phrases:
oven ,including, develop , knock into ,be used for ,by mistake ,by accident Target language！
When was the car invented? It was invented in 1885.
When were electric slippers invented? They were invented last year. Who were they invented by? They were invented by Julie Thompson. What are they used for? They `re used for seeing dark. 2、Ability goals:
To train the students to use the adjectives, and to train the students with the Passive
Voice .They will also learn some new adjectives.
〔Teaching Important points and difficult points〕
1、Talk about the helpful inventions and annoying inventions. 2、Guide the students to discuss their opinions on the inventions. 3、Discussion opinions on the inventions.
4、Use the target language to describe the inventions.
Some pictures of the helpful inventions and annoying inventions. [Teaching Procedures]
The First Period (1a--1c)
Step 1！Lead in
Take a model car or a real mobile phone and show it to them. T: What is it?
Ss: A car or a mobile phone.
Now, write one sentence on the blackboard.
When was it invented?
Have Ss discuss and answer.
Repeat: When was it invented?
It was invented…
Step 2 presentation ？1a ，
1) Show the more pictures on the bb. Ask Ss to discuss and answer what they are. 2) Then learn the new inventions and review vocabulary. 3) Ask two students to read the sample conversation.
4) Give Ss enough time to think in what order they were invented. And number them 1—5.
5) Ask several Ss to say the answer. The teacher doesn’t give the answer, but know different
Step 3: Listening (1b)
Give Ss an opportunity to check answers of their own.
1) Ask a student to name the pictures on the bb.
2) Ask Ss to read the dates together. Then ask:
When was the telephone invented?
It was invented in 1876.
3) Just listen.
4) Listen again and write the letter in front of each date. 5) Check the answers.
Step 4: Pairwork (1c)
1) Ask Ss whose answers are wrong in 1a to stand up and practice them, reminding them to
correct answers first.
2) Use the sample conversation in the box. They had better cover the date and ask and answer.
When was …. Invented?
I think it was invented …
Find out invention to practice using passive voice.
1、The names of the five inventions:
computer, car calculator, telephone, TV set
A: When was the telephone invented?
B:I think it was invented in 1876.
The Second Period (2a—2c) Step1: Lead in
Check Ss’ answers.
Ask different groups to show their simple dialogues. The others just listen. Then answer the
question on the blackboard.
What is … used for?
It is used for…
It is used to…
Step 2 listening (2a )
1) Complete the task above. Ask Ss to read the name of each invention in the picture. 2) Ask Ss what they think is interesting about it and give the reasonable reason. 3) Just listen.
4) Listen again. Write the correct number.？2b，
Ask Ss to practice the sample conversations individually. And ask Ss to underline…was
invented by…and write:
Who was it/were they invented by?
It was/they were invented by…
1) Give Ss free time to read the information in the chart.
2) Ask Ss to read the people’s names.
3)Ask Ss to practice the sample conversations on the blackboard. Who were shoes with adjustable heels?
They were invented by Jayce Coziar and Jarnie Ellsworth.
What are they used for?
They are used for changing the style of the shoes.
4) Just listen.
5) Listen again. Match the inventions with their inventors and uses. Step 3: Pairwork (2c )
1) Check the answers.
2) Role play. Ask Ss to play the conversations using the information in the chart above. Grammar focus:
Ask Ss to read. Boys ask and girls answer.
And have Ss circle was and were.
Then have Ss underline it and them and circle the verbs invented and used. Give Ss enough
time to find out the regular things.
1、The names of the inventions and answers of activity 2a:
3 shoes with adjustable heels
1 battery operated slippers
2 heated ice cream scoop
2、 Target Language:
A: When was the car invented?
B: It was invented in 1885.
A: When were electric slippers invented?
B: They were invented last year.
A: Who were they invented by?
B: They were invented by Julie Thompson.
A: What are they used for?
B: They ’re used for seeing in the dark.
The Third Period (3a--4) Step1: Revision
1Revise the three inventions talks last class. Ask about the names of the three inventions.
Help the students answer.
shoes with adjustable heels.
heated ice cream scoop
Then ask the two questions below on earth invention: a、When was it invented by?
b、What is it used for?
2、Revise the target language with the passive voice in grammar Focus by asking several ones
to read the sentences.
3、Check the homework. Then dictate the words below: bulb, light, microwave- oven, island,
(This activity provides practice with listening, speaking. reading and writing using the target
Call the students′ attention to the three pictures of three inventions. Teach them to read the names of inventions.
Then read the instructions to the students.
Explain helpful inventions and annoying inventions to the students like this, showing a picture
of a vacuum cleaner,
A vacuum cleaner is helpful.
Then show a picture of a truck to the class.
A very loud truck is annoying.
Then let the students look at the three pictures in the textbook. Ask these questions on each invention:
1、Is this invention useful or annoying?
2、What is it used for?
Then ask the whole class to ask and answer the two questions above in pairs.
Read the instructions to the students again .to fill in the blanks with other helpful and annoying inventions on their own.
Give the class about five minutes to do this.
As they work, move around the room providing some names of inventions to them and answering questions as necessary.