Unit 9 When was it invented?
万 三中 陈国芳
Key words and phrases:
oven ,including, develop , knock into ,be used for ,by mistake ,by accident Target language！
When was the car invented? It was invented in 1885.
When were electric slippers invented? They were invented last year. Who were they invented by? They were invented by Julie Thompson. What are they used for? They `re used for seeing dark. 2、Ability goals:
To train the students to use the adjectives, and to train the students with the Passive
Voice .They will also learn some new adjectives.
〔Teaching Important points and difficult points〕
1、Talk about the helpful inventions and annoying inventions. 2、Guide the students to discuss their opinions on the inventions. 3、Discussion opinions on the inventions.
4、Use the target language to describe the inventions.
Some pictures of the helpful inventions and annoying inventions. [Teaching Procedures]
The First Period (1a--1c)
Step 1！Lead in
Take a model car or a real mobile phone and show it to them. T: What is it?
Ss: A car or a mobile phone.
Now, write one sentence on the blackboard.
When was it invented?
Have Ss discuss and answer.
Repeat: When was it invented?
It was invented…
Step 2 presentation ？1a ，
1) Show the more pictures on the bb. Ask Ss to discuss and answer what they are. 2) Then learn the new inventions and review vocabulary. 3) Ask two students to read the sample conversation.
4) Give Ss enough time to think in what order they were invented. And number them 1—5.
5) Ask several Ss to say the answer. The teacher doesn’t give the answer, but know different
Step 3: Listening (1b)
Give Ss an opportunity to check answers of their own.
1) Ask a student to name the pictures on the bb.
2) Ask Ss to read the dates together. Then ask:
When was the telephone invented?
It was invented in 1876.
3) Just listen.
4) Listen again and write the letter in front of each date. 5) Check the answers.
Step 4: Pairwork (1c)
1) Ask Ss whose answers are wrong in 1a to stand up and practice them, reminding them to
correct answers first.
2) Use the sample conversation in the box. They had better cover the date and ask and answer.
When was …. Invented?
I think it was invented …
Find out invention to practice using passive voice.
1、The names of the five inventions:
computer, car calculator, telephone, TV set
A: When was the telephone invented?
B:I think it was invented in 1876.
The Second Period (2a—2c) Step1: Lead in
Check Ss’ answers.
Ask different groups to show their simple dialogues. The others just listen. Then answer the
question on the blackboard.
What is … used for?
It is used for…
It is used to…
Step 2 listening (2a )
1) Complete the task above. Ask Ss to read the name of each invention in the picture. 2) Ask Ss what they think is interesting about it and give the reasonable reason. 3) Just listen.
4) Listen again. Write the correct number.？2b，
Ask Ss to practice the sample conversations individually. And ask Ss to underline…was
invented by…and write:
Who was it/were they invented by?
It was/they were invented by…
1) Give Ss free time to read the information in the chart.
2) Ask Ss to read the people’s names.
3)Ask Ss to practice the sample conversations on the blackboard. Who were shoes with adjustable heels?
They were invented by Jayce Coziar and Jarnie Ellsworth.
What are they used for?
They are used for changing the style of the shoes.
4) Just listen.
5) Listen again. Match the inventions with their inventors and uses. Step 3: Pairwork (2c )
1) Check the answers.
2) Role play. Ask Ss to play the conversations using the information in the chart above. Grammar focus:
Ask Ss to read. Boys ask and girls answer.
And have Ss circle was and were.
Then have Ss underline it and them and circle the verbs invented and used. Give Ss enough
time to find out the regular things.
1、The names of the inventions and answers of activity 2a:
3 shoes with adjustable heels
1 battery operated slippers
2 heated ice cream scoop
2、 Target Language:
A: When was the car invented?
B: It was invented in 1885.
A: When were electric slippers invented?
B: They were invented last year.
A: Who were they invented by?
B: They were invented by Julie Thompson.
A: What are they used for?
B: They ’re used for seeing in the dark.
The Third Period (3a--4) Step1: Revision
1Revise the three inventions talks last class. Ask about the names of the three inventions.
Help the students answer.
shoes with adjustable heels.
heated ice cream scoop
Then ask the two questions below on earth invention: a、When was it invented by?
b、What is it used for?
2、Revise the target language with the passive voice in grammar Focus by asking several ones
to read the sentences.
3、Check the homework. Then dictate the words below: bulb, light, microwave- oven, island,
(This activity provides practice with listening, speaking. reading and writing using the target
Call the students′ attention to the three pictures of three inventions. Teach them to read the names of inventions.
Then read the instructions to the students.
Explain helpful inventions and annoying inventions to the students like this, showing a picture
of a vacuum cleaner,
A vacuum cleaner is helpful.
Then show a picture of a truck to the class.
A very loud truck is annoying.
Then let the students look at the three pictures in the textbook. Ask these questions on each invention:
1、Is this invention useful or annoying?
2、What is it used for?
Then ask the whole class to ask and answer the two questions above in pairs.
Read the instructions to the students again .to fill in the blanks with other helpful and annoying inventions on their own.
Give the class about five minutes to do this.
As they work, move around the room providing some names of inventions to them and answering questions as necessary.
Point out the sample in the box before they start writing.
After they have all finished, ask some students to read their answers to the class.
Then get the students to work with their partners.
Have each student talk about their list with another student, asking each other questions .For example.
What is your first helpful invention?
Why do you think it is helpful?
Step 3: 3b
(This activity provides listening and speaking practice using the target language.)
Ask the students to read the instructions together.
Then ask a pair of the students to model the sample dialogue.
correct any pronunciation errors. Make sure they are providing a good model .Write the conversation on the blackboard.
After that get the class to work in pairs and complete the work. Please discuss your opinions in Activity 3a with your partner now.
Ask some ones to tell the class about their partners’ opinions and reasons. They may say like
this: Zhang Ming thinks the most helpful invention is the car because it makes our travel easier.
Step4 Part 4
This activity provides oral practice using the target language.
Ask students to see the picture first.
And encourage some students to be describe it.
Then read the instructions to the class.
Do some explanation if necessary. Make sure each student can understand the instructions and know what to do.
Tell the class to discuss in groups of four .imagine that you are alone on a tiny island and you ever get a chance to choose five inventions you would like to have on the island with you .Each group has to tell what you choose and why .
Remind them they can use all the items mentioned.
In activity 1a、1b、2a and 3a. And they can also use any other items they can think of as they talk to their partiers. Tell them to use the statement on the box the beginning.
Ask two students to read it to the class.
Howe the students work in groups of four. Move around the classroom and helping students as necessary.
Ask each group to share their statements with the class. Compare their inventions and decide which ones are the most helpful.
A: I′d like to have a radio because I can listen to music all day.
B: Yes, but that′s not going to help you leave the island .I think it would be better to have a mobile phone .So you can contract anyone who can save you.
C、I don’t agree with you ,I think you should choose a computer .It will help you to ask for help from all over the world
In this class, we’ve learned more about the inventions .And we’ve done much oral practice
talking about the inventions.
Step 6: Homework
1、Remember the new words on page 70
2、Write down the conversations in Activity 3b.
3、Write down the conversations in Activity 3c.
A: what do you think is the most helpful invention?
B: I think the most helpful invention is the light bulb.
A: Why is that?
B: Well, it believes people more time to work and play every day.
The first Period ( 1a—2c) Step1: Lead in
1 .Review the language points we have learned last period.
2. Teach the new words on page 147.
Step 2: presentation
1. Ask students to read the words aloud in the box of 1a:
Sweet crispy salty sour
2. Use the words above to describe the foods of activity 1a.
3. Let the students finish the foods of activity 1b individually. 4. Ask students to use the adjectives to modify the proper foods. And then, teacher gives some
examples of foods that can show the meaning of each adjective. Step 3: Listening
1. Listen and circle “T” or “F”
2. Ask students to read the statements and give the answers.
3. Listen again and complete the sentences of activity 2b.
4. Check the answers of activity 2b
5. Listen to the tape one more time and ask the students to imitate the dialogue. Step 4: Pairwork
1. Use the information from 2a and 2b.Role play the conversation on the invention of potato
2. Ask two students to play the dialogue.
Did you know potato chips were invented by mistake?
Wow. I didn’t know that who invented them.
A chef called George Crum invented them.
Yeah, did you know when they were invented?
They were invented….
3. Ask one student to tell an invention to the classmates.
Step 5: Summary and assignments.
1. Summary the target language and key phrases.
2 .Write a short composition to describe a useful invention and use the target language.
A: Did you know potato chops were invented by mistake?
B: Wow, I didn’t know that. Who invented them?
A :They were invented by a chef called George Crum.
The Second Period (3a—4b)
Step1: Greeting and leading in
1 Say “hello” to the students and review the language points we’ve learned last period.
2 “how many types of tea are there in China”—students think about it. Step 2: Presentation
1. Give the students several minutes to read the passage and answer the four questions after
2. Students find out the difficult points and the n students underline the complex sentences.
3. Explain the difficult points which students point out and add the important points of the
4. Analyze the complex sentences in this passage.
5. Check the answers.
Step 3 writing
1. Read the instructions to the class and the first sample sentence.
2. Ask students in pairs to use the information from the left box and then complete the article
on the right.
3.Ask one or two students to read the article which they have written.
4、Deal with activity 4a
1. Ask a student to read the sample conversation.
2. Ask students to complete the dialogue in pairs and share their dialogues with the
3 if students have useful inventions, we can share their inventions.
Step 5: Summary and assignments
1、Summary the key phrases and passive voice.
2、Write a short article about a small useful invention by yourself.
1、 The article is about the inventions of tea.
2、It was invented by the Chinese emperor, Shen Long.
3、 It was invented by accident.
Suggested answers for Activity 4a :
Problem: writing tests
New inventions: a pen that listens and writes
Use: writing tests instead of persons by listening to the owner
Price: one hundred yuan per pen