Delegate: Yin Yixi
School: Beijing Normal University
Country: The Arab Republic of Egypt
Committee: World Food Programme
Topic: Food for Assets Project
1. General information
1) About World Food Programme
World Food Programme is an organization aimed at breaking the cycle of hunger worldwide. It is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, and has invested over 3000 million in hunger prevention, promoting economic and social development. It has been providing bailout plans for emergencies worldwide since its establishment in 1963. In 2009, WFP provided 4.6 million metric tons of food for 101.8 million people in 75 countries.
The five main missions of World Food Programme is to save lives and preserve lives in case of emergencies; to prepare for emergencies; to restore and rebuild lives after emergencies; to reduce chronic hunger and malnutrition everywhere; to increase the food production capacity of countries to reduce hunger.
2) About Food for Assets
Work for Assets is a World Food Programme's development project which pays workers with food to build vital new infrastructure, giving people the chance to take the first steps out of the hunger trap and also provide a service for their community. Food for Assets can be defined as a project run by the World Food Programme, in which underprivileged communities are given food in exchange for work done to create sustainable resources.
2. Situation in Egypt currently
1) Agricultural level in richest area
The Banks of the Nile river valleys and formation of delta, are the richest regions of Egypt. Nevertheless, the richest area merely took up 4% of the whole territory of
Egypt, it is the Residence for about 99% of Egyptian. The rest of the land is mainly
deserts. Stark geographical disparities exist between the region of Upper Egypt, desert areas in Sinai and the Red Sea – which are some of the country’s poorest areas
with high levels of food insecurity and malnutrition.
More than one-third of professional population engaged in agriculture. Cultivated area accounts for only homeland 4.5%, most for irrigation. Intensive farming, annual two or three ripe, ripe is Africa yield per unit area the highest in the world. Besides, long-staple cotton, corn, wheat and rice yield in Africa are first.
2) Food supply situation
Egypt is a low-income, food-deficit country, with 19.6 percent of the population –
almost 14.2 million people – living below the lower poverty line, on less than US $1
per day. Starvation is still a serious problem in Egypt.
3) WFP activities in Eygpt
WFP Egypt’s 2007-2011 operation, which will reach up to 396,000 people at a cost of over US$44 million, aims to improve food security and strengthen human capital and income generation in the poorest parts of the country – mainly Upper Egypt, Sinai
and the Red Sea, with a special focus on women and children. Through its various activities, WFP supports improving the nutritional status of its beneficiaries.
WFP currently aims at building in which WFP provides technical support to the Government’s food-based social protection schemes – food subsidy, and school
meals. Besides, WFP creates asset to improve the livelihoods of vulnerable communities along the Nile Valley and in Sinai and the southern Red Sea governorate. There’s a focus on women who benefit from land-ownership and micro-credit
schemes to purchase livestock and start small businesses.
3. The reflection on WFP and FFA itself
1) It seems that hunger and poverty act and form a vicious cycle. Thus, it is essential to break it from the first step. Giving the people in need food in exchange for work is a good way. It is surely a great revolution. Though it is a hard and long way, it is a
must to insist on doing.
2) We should focus on the adjustment of different areas and situations. Egypt holds the idea that we should divide different areas of the whole earth according to its own geographical features and politics. The countries which have the similar situation can have more communications, cooperation and share the methods to solve starvation.
3) There is a need for more cooperation between developed countries and developing countries, for developed countries have advanced technology and better methods. And there is possible for more cooperation among governments, research institutes, operations, NGOs, other programmes of WFP, to have some deep cooperation in aspects like technology, financial aids, etc.
4) There must be some conflicting objectives of FFA. Egypt holds the idea that currently WFP should think of food aid as the most important mission. However, the long-term activities need to be paid more attention. And it needs to bring more creative ideas of solutions, wider cooperation, more financial aids. It is a long process moving from the short-term goals to the long term goals as priorities. 4. The specific development outlook of WFP in Egypt According to the special geographical situation in Egypt, Egypt has the highest agricultural level of Africa. Egypt is looking forward to having more cooperation with other countries about the methods of farming, both developed countries and less developed countries, and also more cooperation with other organizations. It is essential to talk more about the process and details and set the agenda of it in this session.
1) Since Egypt has the highest agricultural level of Africa, Egypt can help other African countries with their methods of farming. But Egypt is looking forward to more food aids, since hunger is still a heavy problem for Egypt.
2) Since nearly 99% of the land are deserts in Egypt. Egypt is looking forward to cooperating with some research institutes, related operations and NGOs with some new methods of farming in barren areas and finding suitable crops to plant in barren areas. Egypt can provide some basic experiment conditions to do the researches and experiments. It is possible for people who are in starvation in Egypt to do some tentative farming in barren areas in exchange for food. It is a practical attempt for FFA.