OHIO LIBRARY COUNCIL
1105 Schrock Rd., Ste. 440
Columbus, OH 43229
Phone: (614) 410-8092
Fax: (614) 410-8098
All divisions and committees are asked to submit a 2011 budget by Dec. 10, 2010, using the budget
worksheet available online (http://olc.org/leadershipresources.asp). If a division or committe fails to
submit a 2010 budget, the OLC will set a budget for the unit based on previous years’ expenses. The
budget worksheet can be completed in Word, saved, and sent to the OLC as attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Chapter Action Councils will be allotted a set budget amount adjusted annually as necessary.
1. Meetings. Each unit is limited to one or two in-person meetings per year (except for
extenuating circumstances) for which expenses are covered by the OLC. All additional
meetings should be conducted by telephone conference call or web meeting or unit members.
A. Meeting Travel. Mileage is 34.5? per mile. Many unit members do not request
reimbursement for mileage. It is a good idea to ask who intends to turn in for mileage
and base your budget request on this number.
B. Meeting Meal Expenses. If you expect to have a long meeting, you can budget for lunch
to be catered. Catered lunches usually cost approximately $7.00 to $10.00 per lunch.
Reimbursement for meal expenses are reserved for group unit meals and not individual
2. Mailings. Bulk Postage is 15.5? to 23? per piece and first class postage is 44? per piece. The
number of members participating in your Division or Committee and the number of members
for a specific Chapter will be listed in the leadership manual under your unit’s section. There
is an additional $150 mail-house processing charge for each bulk mailing.
3. Newsletters. All newsletters are posted on the OLC website and distributed by e-mail. Units
should send completed newsletter content to the OLC in a Word document. The newsletter
will be formatted and distributed electronically. This process eliminates all the costs
associated with printing/mailing.
4. Publications. Publications (e.g., Library Accounting Handbook, Administrator’s Handbook)
should not be included in your division budget. If you plan to create a publication, it should
be budgeted for by the OLC office. Contact OLC Director of Communications Mackenzie Betts
(email@example.com or 614-410-8092) with the following details: 1) the content of the
publication; 2) the intended audience for the publication; and 3) the plans for distribution.
5. Conference Calls/Web Meetings. Telephone conference call costs are .06? per minute for
each participant. OLC also offers web meeting capabilities with some conference calling
capabilities at no additional cost to divisions/committees.
6. Copying. OLC will charge your unit for any copying at the cost of 2? per side for black/white
copies and 8? per side for color copies. The OLC can create basic brochures and print them
in-house on the color copier for much less than if a professional printer is used.
7. Printing. Professional printing costs can vary. Brochures that cannot be printed in-house may
cost approximately $300 to $600 for a quantity of 500. Bookmarks may cost approximately
$200 for a quantity of 800. Posters will vary depending on size and colors involved. The OLC
will need to get a quote from our printer if you plan on putting any of these projects into
- over -
Budget Guidelines – 10/05/10 1
8. Surveys. The OLC has software to prepare electronic surveys. Send the questions to the OLC,
and the survey will be placed on the web for people to fill out and submit. Different types of
reports can be prepared to analyze the survey. There is no cost to the division for surveys (7
to 10 day lead-time).
9. Broadcast E-mail. There is no cost to send a broadcast e-mail for your unit. Please send the
OLC the information you want posted and allow a 24-hour turnaround time. We also need
your help to impress on our membership that it is important that they keep their e-mail
addresses current with the OLC.
10. Retreats. If you wish to hold a retreat, you will need to consider: 1) the room rental cost of
the meeting place; 2) overnight accommodation costs; 3) and the cost of meals and mileage
for persons attending. Please remember to include the costs of any speakers or facilitators if
11. Programming. Any programming, distance learning, or video conferencing should be
discussed with the Director of Professional Development or Executive Director who will
budget accordingly. This does not apply to your unit budget for the year.
Budget Guidelines – 10/05/10 2