Vocabulary and Structure
1. Large-scale studies are needed to ______ the encouraging results we have obtained so far. A. conduct B. confirm C. contract D. commit
2. Dr. Smith is starting the first training program himself, and his methods of teaching will be used in all ______ training programs.
A. subsequent B. temporary C. fruitful D. energetic
3. Whoever disobeys the company’s safety regulations shall be ________ on the spot.
A. dismissed B. switched C. interrupted D. revealed
4. This is a very formal occasion. It is not appropriate to wear _______ pants or skirts.
A. messy B. frantic C. casual D. jealous
5. All the questions the police asked ________ what she had been doing on the night of the robbery.
A. brought up B. revolved around C. built on D. singled out
6. The noise ________ to be just the dogs fighting for a bone in the courtyard.
A. made out B. worked out C. rang out D. turned out
7. Our system has been designed to give the user quick and easy ________ to the required information.
A. accent B. access C. response D. approach
8. So far only a dozen people who had direct contact with live chickens have ________ the bird flu.
A. distributed B. displayed C. contracted D. constituted
9. Many young women do aerobics (增氧健美操) every day in their ________ to achieve the
A. quest B. strain C. temptation D. campaign
10. The official _______ of events is that the police were attacked and were just trying to defend themselves.
A. issue B. illusion C. version D. perspective
11. _________ the warning that smoking kills, the number of smokers does not seem to drop in our country.
A. With B. For C. As D. Despite
12. Why did you have to ______ the subject of religion since you know the guests are sharply divided on it?
A. bring up B. leave out C. turn against D. call up
13. If schoolchildren are allowed to work at their own _______, their performance will generally improve.
A. version B. pace C. evolution D. system
14. Clara was _______ to sell her late husband’s paintings to pay her debts.
A. qualified B. assumed C. compelled D. racked
15. To attract foreign investors, you have to _______ them that their investment will have profitable returns.
A. confirm B. stimulate C. grab D. convince
16. I don’t think I can ever _______ my teachers for their devoted work, but I can in my turn do my best for my students.
A. repay B. interrupt C. respond D. witness
17. The conference was an attempt to _______ discussion of the problem of widening gaps between the rich and the poor.
A. stimulate B. conduct C. intend D. uncover
18. The lawyer outlined the case to him, being careful not to _______ anything important.
A. save up B. cut through C. leave out D. take out
19. The clerk held my passport for inches from his face and _______ to read it.
A. affected B. flipped C. strained D. giggled
20. The wounded woman got to her feet and made a _______ at the kitchen knife at the sink.
A. grab B. click C. comment D. pat
21. The designers made the most ______ water gardens to match the houses, with canals, fountains and cascades (小瀑布).
A. casual B. elaborate C. fruitful D. frantic
22. Suggesting something which he or she can do ______ the child’s sense of achievement.
A. makes up B. pass on C. brings up D. adds to
23. If these problems are not _______ early in their training, they can be a real danger to
themselves and to their instructors.
A. skipped B. contracted C. spotted D. responded
24. In order to reach ________ physical fitness for the coming match, he cut out all social
activities and concentrated on his training.
A. maximum B. temporary C. extensive D. detached
25. We can’t _______ the suspects to be guilty simply because they’ve decided to remain
A. interpret B. assume C. grant D. arrest
26. The professor _______ the whole chapter, saying it was not difficult for us to study it by
A. dismissed B. covered C. skipped D. explored
27. Tourism authorities ______ quickly to reports of the attack, claiming that it was accidental
and that crime against tourists was quite rare in the scenic areas.
A. added B. fastened C. skipped D. responded
28. It is rarely useful to try and adjust fully to the time-zone transition (转变) before the
journey, since this will _______ your life-style too much.
A. interrupt B. flip C. renovate D. decay
29. To ______ for the position, applicants would need to have a PHD degree and 3 years’
A. strain B. qualify C. register D. campaign
30. We must come to a decision and take action quickly, for time is _______ faster than we
A. catching on B. running out C. stepping up D. revolving around