Sample Green Purchasing Policy
Statement of Purpose
This shall be known as the XXX Green Purchasing Policy. Its purpose is to ensure that XXX purchases recycled and other environmentally preferable products whenever they meet cost and performance requirements.
“Environmentally Preferable Products” means products that have a lesser impact on human health and the environment when compared with competing products. This comparison may consider raw materials acquisition, production, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, reuse, operation, maintenance, or disposal of the product.
“Recycled Products” are products manufactured with waste material that has been recovered or diverted from solid waste.
“Practicable” means sufficient in performance and available at a reasonable cost.
“Cost” means the total expense of the product including the initial price, lifecycle costs, and disposal costs.
“Price” means the initial expense to acquire the product.
Statement of Policy
XXX shall purchase recycled and other environmentally preferable products whenever practicable.
XXX shall require contractors and consultants to use recycled and other environmentally preferable products whenever practicable.
Statement of Procedure
XXX shall be responsible for coordinating implementation of this policy. XXX shall:
1. Assign appropriate personnel to fulfill the requirements of this policy.
2. Research opportunities for procurement of recycled and other environmentally preferable products and
communicate these to purchasing decision makers for evaluation and purchase.
3. Collaborate with specifying agencies to prepare or revise bid documents and contract language where
necessary to implement this chapter.
4. Collect data on purchases by XXX of recycled and other environmentally preferable products.
5. Prepare and submit an annual report to XXX by XXX of each year, describing the progress of XXX in
implementation of the policy, including the following elements:
a. Quantities, costs, and types of recycled and other environmentally preferable products
b. A summary of savings achieved through the purchase of recycled and other environmentally
c. A summary of program promotional efforts;
d. Recommendations for changes in procurement policy.
6. Promote the use of recycled and other environmentally preferable products by publicizing its
environmental purchasing policy and its implementation.
7. Educating staff about the policy and listening to staff comments and suggestions.
Nothing in this policy shall be construed as requiring the purchase of products that do not perform adequately or are not available at a reasonable cost.
This policy shall be effective immediately from the date of signature.
Dated the XXX day of XXX, 20XX.