The Language Points of Unit 2 Book 1 ; Fill in each blank with a proper word, the first letter of which has been given. 1. I've known Barbara for years. Since we were babies, a__________. 2. The moment she picked up the phone, she r___________ his voice. 3. He was r___________ as a great scientist, and his great contributions(贡献) were r___________ with a medal.
4. I think I should get s___________ to the point(开门见山).
Keys: 1. actually 2. recognized 3. recognized; recognized 4. straight
; because & because of
He came to work late this morning because he was caught in the traffic. 5. ?He was caught in the traffic this morning; _______ that, he came to work late. 6. ?________ the fact that he was caught in the traffic, he came to work late this morning. 7. ?________ his being caught in the traffic, he came to work late this morning. Keys: 5. because of 6. Because of 7. Because of
Because he played a very important part in protecting wild animals, he was awarded this prize. 8. ?He played a very important part in protecting wild animals; _____________, he was awarded this prize.
9. ?____________ the important part (that) he played in protecting wild animals, he was awarded this prize.
Keys: 8. because of that 9. Because of
10. He was fired ______________ he had said those words.
11. ?He was fired _____________his words.
12. ?He was fired ______________ what he had said.
Keys: 10. because 11. because of 12. because of
; come up & come up with
？ come up (vi. Note: only in active voice)
？ come up with =think of/put forward 及物动词短语；提出/想出，主意、方法等(
？ come up (to)走上前来，走到…的跟前来，
？ come up =be put forward; be mentioned被提出，主动形式表被动含义(
？ come up =arise，多指意外的事情突然(出现
13. An old man _____________ and asked me for money. (走到我跟前,向我要钱).
14. His name kept ____________ in their conversation (他们谈话一再提及他的名字).
15. Something ___________ (突然出了点儿事), so I won’t be able to go with you on Thursday.
16. Who was it that ____________________________ (究竟是谁想出这个好主意)：
Keys: 13. came up to me 14. coming up 15. has come up 16. came up with the good idea
; command, require & request
The Language Points of Unit 2 Book 1 (1 / 3)
； command/require/request that…(should)…
； ?It is commanded/required/requested that…(should)…
老板要求他们立即复工(go back to work)。
17. The boss commanded them ________________________________________________. 18. ? They were commanded _______________________________________________. 19. The boss commanded that _________________________________________________. 20. ? It was commanded (by the boss) that ____________________________________. Keys: 17. to go back to work 18. to go back to work
19. they (should) go back to work 20. they (should) go back to work
； at one’s command 随时听候某人的调遣 ； at one’s request 应某人的邀请
； at one’s service 随时为某人服务 ； have a (good) command of 掌握、精通
21. I’m ____________—what would you like me to do?
22. We’ve put off the meeting till next Monday at their _________.
23. In order to _________________ English, he makes full use of every minute to practice it. Keys: 21. at your command/at your service 22. request 23. have a good command of
; first & at first
24. Here’re tips on how to improve your English: __________, you should make a good plan. ……
25. __________, he got tired of English. With her help, however, he gradually became more and more interested in it.
Keys: 24. first 25. At first
; a number of & the number of
26. ______________ of children dropped out of school.
27. ______________ of children who dropped out of school was large/growing. 28. They were concerned about ________________ of children who dropped out of school. Keys: 26. A large/growing number of 27. The number 28. the large/growing number
; make (good/full) use of ?make the most of
He made full use of every minute to improve his English.
29. ??Full use ___________________________________________________________________. 30. ??Every minute _______________________________________________________________. Keys: 29. was made of every minute to improve his English.
30. was made full use of to improve his English.
31. Every minute was made full use of ______ (improve) his English. 32. They thought highly of the full use (that) he _____ of every minute to improve his English. Keys: 31. to improve 32. made
; play a part/role in
33. He ___________________________ wild animals. 他在保护野生动物方面发挥了重要的作用。
34. ?They thought highly of the important part (that) he ______ in protecting wild animals . The Language Points of Unit 2 Book 1 (2 / 3)
Keys: 33. played a very important part in protecting 34. played
; base sth. on sth ?be based on
He based his theory on a large number of facts.
35. ?His theory _________________________________________________________________. 36. ? _____ (base) on a large number of facts, his theory was convincing(令人信服的).
37. ? The theory ______ (base) a large number of facts was convincing. 38. It was based more on German than the English we speak at present. ___________________________________
39. It was based more on German than on French. ___________________________________ Keys: 35. was based on a large number of facts 36. Based 37. based on
; even if/even though & in spite of/despite
40. Native English speakers can understand each other ______ they don’t speak the same kind of English.
41. Native English speakers may speak different kinds of English; __________ that, they can understand each other.
Keys: 40. even if/even though 41. in spite of/ despite
; Believe it or not, there is no such thing as standard English.
42. I’d like to buy _________________________________________.我想再买几把像这样的椅子。
Keys: 42. another few such chairs as this
The Language Points of Unit 2 Book 1 (3 / 3)