Question and Answers

By Herman Ford,2014-02-07 05:31
11 views 0
Question and Answersand,And,AND

    Question and Answers

    For international students and scholars in China

    Xi’an Jiaotong University

    1.Apply to Chinese universities

    Where do I get the information of the Chinese universities? The information can be obtained by visiting the university‟s website or

    simply contacting the School of International Education (SIE) at Xi‟an Jiaotong University (XJTU) by E-mail.

    Web site:


What is the Admission procedure?

    Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport and need to follow the following steps:

    Step 1: Applicants should fill “XIAN JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY


    Step 2: Applicants should send the completely filled Application Form, application fee and other required documents to the SIE by mail or post before the deadline.

    Step 3: Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202) and Health Examination Form and a Guide Form to the Campus will be sent to successful applicants.

    Step 4: Successful applicants should take Health Examination Form to local public or private hospital to have physical examination. Result from private hospitals should be notarized.

    Step 5: Successful applicants should take Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202) and Health Examination Form to the Chinese Embassy in their country to apply for visa (X visa and F visa). The original JW202 form must not be submitted to the embassy. Step 6: Successful applicants should take Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202) and Health Examination Form to report at XJTU within the report period written on the Admission Notice. Failure to do so within three weeks of the new term will be regarded as forfeiting the admission. Exception can be made to student who has informed the school of their special reasons and whose delay has been permitted.

    More information is available at

Can I apply on line?

    Yes. Your application can be submitted online but your application documents should also be sent in by regular mail.

    Whom should I contact if I have any questions on the application process?

    Ms. Li Chongxiao

    Office of Admission, School of International Education Xi'an Jiaotong University

    No.28, Xianning West Road, Xi'an, Shaanxi, 710049, P.R. China Tele: +86 29 82665924 +86 29 82655060

    Fax: +86 29 82665923 +86 29 82655059


Can I pay application fee by credit card

    Unfortunately, credit card is not accepted at present.

2. Entering China

    How do I get my student visa to China?

    Once admitted, you will receive the university‟s letter of admission and JW202 form. The applicant can apply for X visa at Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in your home country.

    When applying for your visa, please remember to take along with you your valid passport, the original copy of the university‟s admission notification and a Visa Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (also known as the JW201/JW202 form). Do make sure that your letter of admission and your JW202 form is handed back to you together with your passport after obtaining your Chinese visa. You will need these documents to apply for your Residence Permit after your arrival in Xi‟an.

    International Students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months are required to obtain a Student Visa, also termed as „X‟ Visa.

Important: The Student Visa/‟X‟ Visa will only be valid for 30 days after

    your arrival. You must apply for a Residence Permit within these 30 days in order to obtain a legal status in China at Xi‟an Municipal Public Security Bureau (XMPSB).

    You are not encouraged to arrive in China much ahead of the short time limit of your visa. Furthermore, you are not eligible to apply for a Residence Permit until you are a registered student of XJTU, namely before the day of registration.

Student Visa/‟X‟ Visa

    Students who will be staying and studying in China for less than 6 months may apply for a Visiting Visa, also termed as „F‟ Visa.

    Visiting Visa/ „F‟ Visa

    For information regarding the location and the contacts of the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your country, please visit the following website of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

    Important: Once you arrive in Xi‟an, you must ensure the XJTU has your current address at all times. If, for any reason, XMPSB wishes to contact you they will reply on the address the university has for you.

Is the university’s admission letter enough for me to apply for

    my visa?

    No. In addition to the university‟s admission letter, JW202 form is also needed.

What necessary documents, forms or any required

    documents should I bring to China?

    A completed physical examination form issued by a major local hospital. The physical examination form can be downloaded from

Do I need to get any vaccine before I come?

    No special vaccine is needed.

3. How do I get to my university?

    When I have my flight information to China, should I send this information to anyone in the university?

    If pickup service is needed, the student needs to notify SIE by fax with detailed information of his/her time of arrival, flight number at least 3 days ahead of their expected arrival. (Fax: +86 29 82665923)

How early can I get into the students dorm?

    You may book the student dorm along with your application. Once being approved, you may get into the students dorm generally at least one week before the new semester starts.

    Can I ask for the airport pick-up upon my arrival? Do I need to pay for this service?

    Yes. The pick-up service is 260 Yuan/person.

4. Settle down in the university

What is the registration procedure?

    All students have to register on their designated day of registration. Students must bring the following documents and register at the SIE. 1. Admission Notice (original copy)

    2. Visa Application for Study in China form/JW202 form (original copy) 3. Physical examination record and blood test reports

    4. Passport

    5. Photos in passport size (at least 6 copies)

    6. Academic documents you have provided at the time of admission (Photo copies attested)

    Please keep in mind that no one can register on your behalf. Students must have cleared their tuition fees payment by the end of the day of registration. Otherwise, the registration process cannot be completed. If you are to arrive later than or after the day of registration, you must write a letter to SIE, informing the staffs of your late arrival and its reasons. (Fax: +86 29 82665923 E-mail:

    Students who fail to register within three weeks after their designated day of registration will be dismissed from the university.

    What do I need to do to get my student ID, ID for library, ID for student’s service?

    You may apply for student ID and Campus Card at SIE. The campus card will offer you access to library and dining hall.

How do I apply for Residence Permit?

    Students who will be studying in China for more than 6 months and who possess a Student Visa/‟X‟ Visa must apply for a Residence Permit within the first 30 days of their arrival. To apply for the Residence Permit, students must first submit the following documents to the SIE: i. Student ID card

    ii. Valid passport and Student Visa/ „X‟ Visa

    iii. Health Certificate certified by the Xi‟an Entry-Exit Inspection and

    Quarantine Bureau.

    iv. Foreign Students Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) v. Admission Letter from Xi‟an Jiaotong University

vi. 1 passport size photo

    vii. Valid proof of students‟ housing arrangement/Accommodation Certificate from the local police station. (Not required for the students living on-campus)

    Next, students are required to collect the „Visa and Residence Permit Form‟ from SIE when all the above 7 documents are given back to you by the office. Finally, students must submit all the above documents including the „Visa and Residence Permit Form to the Xi‟an Municipal

    Public Security Bureau to obtain their Residence Permit. Normally it takes 5 workdays to get the Residence Permit back. But during the peak season of registration i.e. September, you may get your passport with the Residence Permit back in over a month.

How can I open my personal bank account?

    You may open your bank account with your passport, its copy along with ten yuan cash at banks nearby. (US dollar account is only available at Bank of China)

    The nearest branches of Bank of China are as follows: 161 W. Yanta Rd .(West Campus), 39 E. You yi Rd. (East Campus)

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email