Revision 1.4 – 9/12/08
Using the UoC-Visitor wireless network
A Mac user’s guide.
The University of Cumbria provides where available guest access to the “UoC-Visitor”
Users can use the wireless network to access the Internet, which in turn provides access to web based email and other web based services offered by the University and other external sources.
This guide explains how to configure a Mac running OSX 10.4 or 10.5 for use with the wireless network at the University of Cumbria. Please note steps 1 & 3 are specific to Mac OSX but steps 3 to 7 are the same for most mobile devices.
The UoC-Visitor network has been set up for use with both PC and Mac notebooks in mind. However you may find that you’re other mobile devices may be able to associate with the
UoC-Visitor network. If this is the case you may be able to access the Internet. Please note that no end-user support would be offered for these other devices.
Disclaimer: Please note that these instructions are only intended as a guide. The University of Cumbria cannot be held responsible for any damage to hardware or software, or to any data loss that may result when you attempt to configure your own device to the University’s UoC-
1. First of all ensure that Airport is switched on. You can check this by looking at the
icon in the top right of your menu bar. If the icon is in the off state, click on the icon
and select on.
2. Look for and click the UoC-Visitor SSID.
3. Once you are connected Move onto the next step.
4. Using Safari, open a webpage. You will be re-directed to the UoC-Visitors login
page. NB. If you do not get to the login page as shown below you may need to
remove your proxy settings, please see the back of this guide for further details.
5. Enter your credentials. These may either be the username and password given to
you by a Lobby Ambassador or your UoC username and password should you
have an account.
6. Please note that by submitting this information, you agree to the terms outlined in
the Acceptable Use Policy, which you can find at the UoC-Visitor login window.
7. Once you have entered your details click connect. You will now be forwarded to
8. You can now use your web browser.
If your computer is from an external company it may be setup to use a Proxy server, if so you will need to remove those settings in order to use the UoC-Visitor network. To remove the Proxy settings use the guide below.
1. Open system Preferences, and click on Network.
2. Select the AirPort connection and click Advanced.
3. Click the Proxies Tab and then un tick Web Proxy (HTTP) and Secure Web Proxy
4. Click OK
5. Click Apply
6. Safari should now be able to access the internet.
7. To re apply your proxy settings please follow steps 1 to 5 again but this time at step 3
please Tick the boxes.