Part ? Listening Comprehension (15 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your listening ability. It consists of 4 sections.
Directions: In this section you will hear 5 recorded sentences. Part of them are printed
on your test paper. That is, in the printed sentences some words are missing.
Each sentence will be played two times. When you hear a sentence, you should
write down the missing word or words in the corresponding space on the Answer
1. I'm very grateful to you for ______________ .
2. During the night of May 1st they had a big party ______________ .
3. I liked ______________ , but I hadn't expected it to be so small.
4. “You'd better think over what I said,” he ______________ Sophia.
5. I know you are ______________ to you like this.
Directions: In this section you will hear another 5 recorded sentences. Each sentence
will be played two times. After the first playing, there will be a pause.
During the pause, you should decide what function the sentence has. Then
choose the correct answer from the 4 choices given in the test paper marked A),
B), C) and D). You should mark the corresponding letter on your Answer Sheet
with a single line through the centre.
You will hear: Why don't we take a short rest?
You will read: A) 这句话表示责备。
The sentence indicates that the speaker is making a suggestion. Therefore, C)
这句话表示建议 is the correct answer. You should mark the corresponding letter
on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
6. A) 讲话人表示请求。
7. A) 讲话人表示怀疑。
8. A) 该句表示命令。
9. A) 该句表示询问。
10. A) 这是一个不确定的问题。
Directions: In this section you will hear 10 recorded sentences. Each sentence will be
played two times. After the first playing, there will be a pause. During the
pause, you should translate what you have heard into Chinese. Write your
translation in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet. Note that some
parts of the sentences have been translated for you.
Directions: In this section you will hear 5 short dialogues. After each dialogue there
is a recorded question. The dialogues will be played two times. But the
questions will be played only once. When you hear a question, you should write
down your answer or complete the answer in the corresponding space on the
Example:You will hear:
From the dialogue we learn that the man is going to New York because his
sister lives there. Therefore the answer should be: To see his sister.
21. He is ______________ .
22. It is only ______________ .
23. He is ______________ .
24. The man is listening to ______________ .
25. ______________ .
Part ? Vocabulary and Structure (30 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your mastery of the usage of vocabulary and grammar. There
are 3 sections in it.
Directions: This section is to test the use of vocabulary. There are 10 incomplete
sentences in it. You are required to complete each one by choosing the most
appropriate (恰当的) word or phrase from the 4 choices marked A), B), C) and
D). Then you should mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a
single line through the centre.
26. The snow fell so fast that our footsteps were ____________ in a few minutes.
A) covered up
B) took up
C) broke up
D) set up
27. We planned to cross the river at night but ____________.
28. The use of radar as well as the two-way radio ____________ for the police to stop or
catch most speeders.
A) makes it possible
B) make it possible
C) makes possible
D) make them possible
29. He explained the problem to the students who ____________.
A) have confused about it
B) have been confused about it
C) had confused by it
D) had been confused by it
30. The new bank building ____________ in a business center.
B) is locating
C) is located
31. She tried to ____________ honest and reliable.
32. “The fire is in Main Street,” John said to the man. “The New Hotel is _________.”
A) on fire
B) in fire
C) by fire
D) at fire
33. The hunters captured the man-eating tiger ____________ delighted the villagers.
C) , which
34. I am going to turn my garage ____________ a playroom for the children.
A) turn ... into
B) turn ... on
C) turn ... out
D) turn ... over
35. New electronic devices are available nowadays to help the scientists ____________
A) with computing
B) into computing
C) in computing
D) for computing
Directions: This section is to test the use of both vocabulary and grammar. There are 10
sentences in it. In each sentence, 4 parts are underlined and marked A), B), C)
and D). One of them is not correct. Either a wrong word or phrase is used or a
structure is wrong. You should find out the wrong part and mark the
corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
36. Biologically(A) it may be found that there are few(B) differences between a black
African(C) and white Scandinavian(D).
37. The house that used to(A) standing(B) at this corner(C) was destroyed during(D)
the bombing in 1940.
38. I will give him a key so that(A) he can get into(B) the house where(C) he
39. I wasn't satisfied with(A) the worth(B) of the carpet I had bought so I
complained(C) to(D) our local consumer's association.
40. With(A) computers in the home, people will also have much more free(B) in choosing
the hours(C) they want to work(D).
41. What(A) upset the child was not his(B) allowing(C) to visit(D) his mother in
42. I saw the foreign expert(A) and his wife and several few members(B) of his
family(C) at a department store the other day(D).
43. The next flight(A) does not go directly(B) to Rome, it(C) goes by way(D) of
44. He is able to free(A) Jim from the immediate(B) evil of slavery, though not from
the unability(C) of being black(D).
45. The girl is not used to(A) talking(B) with(C) her classmates or to play(D) with
Directions: This section is to test the use of grammar. There are 10 incomplete
sentences in it. You should fill in each blank with the proper form of the
word given in the brackets. Write the word or words in the corresponding space
on the Answer Sheet.
46. There were no chairs (sit)____________ on, so we all had to sit on the floor.
47. The notices (write)____________ in several languages; the government wants everyone to
48. They tried hard to find some excuses to avoid (attend)____________ the lecture.
49. The man (speak)____________ to John is his father.
50. He is not old enough to (solve)____________ this problem.
51. I considered (take)____________ the job, but in the end I decided not to take it.
52. It is said that the children (not look)____________ after properly at her home.
53. She turned her head quickly and looked (direct)____________ at the policemen.
54. Can you tell me whether you believe in the (exist)____________ of God?
55. There were not so (many)____________ people at this meeting as at the last one.
Part ? Reading Comprehension (25 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your reading ability. It consists of 2 sections.
Directions: In this section there are 10 statements or questions. Read each of them
carefully and decide which of the four choices given is closest to it in
meaning. The choices are marked A), B), C) and D). You should mark the
corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre.
56. The king offered ?50000 reward to anyone who could cure his daughter of her illness.
A) The king would give ?50000 to his daughter.
B) Anyone who could treat the king's daughter could get ?50000 from the king.
C) The king's daughter would give ?50000 to anyone who could cure her.
D) Anyone who could cure the king's daughter would get ?50000 from the king.
57. Flying demands a much greater supply of energy than most forms of transportation.
A) Going by plane requires more energy.
B) Flying uses more energy than most kinds of transportation.
C) Flying is the most important means of transportation.
D) Transportation demands more energy, and flying is included.
58. Advertising is distinguished from other forms of communication in that the advertiser
pays for the message to be delivered.
A) Advertising is not a form of communication.
B) The advertiser has to deliver the message for communication.
C) The advertiser pays for his advertisement.
D) Advertising is different in that it has a message to be delivered.
59. Until she studied Spanish, George's sister had always thought it was difficult to learn
A) She finds Spanish easier than she expected.
B) She finds Spanish more difficult than she expected.
C) She finds Spanish easier than any other language.
D) She finds Spanish more difficult than any other language.
60. We wouldn't have been there if the baby hadn't got sick.
A) We didn't want to go there if the baby got sick.
B) The baby is sick so we have to go there.
C) We had to go there because the baby got sick.
D) The baby hadn't got sick so we would be there.
61. We won't succeed unless we work harder.
A) We can succeed only we don't work harder.
B) If we work harder, we can succeed.
C) We won't succeed even if we work harder.
D) In case we work harder, we will succeed.
62. Manufacturers used the newly built railroads to distribute their products over wider
A) Manufacturers built new railroads to distribute their products.
B) Railroads helped to send products to more places.
C) Manufacturers carried their products on the train to wider areas.
D) Railroads were built only for the manufacturers to distribute products.
63. Before really taking an airplane, I always pack twenty-four hours in advance and set
the alarm clock four hours ahead.
A) I have a great many things to pack.
B) I do not want to miss my flight.
C) I usually worry a lot before the flight.
D) I am very considerate and careful.
64. He took it as an insult, which was not at all what I had intended.
A) He knew that I wanted to be rude to him.
B) He fully understood my true intention.
C) I had not planned to be rude to him at all.
D) I had planned to be rude to him but failed.
65. Would you mind my teaching the child?
A) Would you mind if I ask you to teach the child?
B) Would you mind if I teach the child?
C) Would you mind if you teach the child?
D) Would you mind if we teach the child?
Directions: In this section there are 5 short paragraphs. Following each paragraph there
is a question. Read the paragraphs carefully and answer the questions
accordingly. Remember to write your answers in the corresponding space on the
66. Perhaps the best way to learn how to behave in the working world is to identify a
worker you admire and observe his behavior. In doing so, you will observe how he acts in
a crisis. Perhaps it is highly important that you will be able to see what is his
approach to day-to-day situations.
The word “approach” in the last sentence probably means ____________________.
67. Everyone experiences stress at a certain time. Stress comes when we think the situation
is completely out of control. Stress is both physically and mentally felt when we are
involved in anxiety or worry. However, some people have a good way to avoid or cope with
this situation which seems to bother them little.
In this passage the word “worry” is synonymous with ____________________.
68. Advertising agencies began to develop in the United States just after the Civil War. At
first these agencies merely sold space in the various media, mainly newspapers and
magazines. But they soon added the service of writing and producing advertisements.
Since then advertising has developed into a highly specialized profession.
The services of the advertising agencies are ________________ in the various media and
________________ and ________________ advertisements.
69. Managing harbors in line with laws, emphasizing safety, strengthening management and
serving the fishermen are the main aims of the GFHSB staff. They not only do their own
jobs well, but also enthusiastically help allay fishermen's worries.
This passage tells us ____________________ of the GFHSB.
70. Paris is named after a group of people called the Paris. They built a small village on
an island in the middle of the Seine River about two thousand years ago. This island,
called the Ile de la cite, is where Notre Dame is located. Today around eight million
people live in the Paris area.
Paris is named after ____________________.
Part ? Translation—English into Chinese (15 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to translate English sentences. There are 5
English sentences here. Translate them correctly into Chinese. Remember to write
the Chinese in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
71. Neither could theory do without practice, nor could practice do without theory.
72. Even a small factory can do the job, not to mention such a big factory as ours.
73. You can well imagine how delighted they will be having this chance to come to Beijing.
74. Our society has changed and so have the people in it.
75. With the help of this expert, he could have accomplished the design of the dam
Part ? Translation—Chinese into English (25 minutes)
Directions: This part is to test your ability to translate Chinese phrases. There are 5
Chinese phrases here. Translate them correctly into English. Remember to write
the English in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
Directions: This part is to test your ability to translate Chinese sentences. There are
5 Chinese sentences here. Translate them correctly into English. Remember to
write the English in the corresponding space on the Answer Sheet.
85. 突然, 他脑海中出现了那件怪事的整个过程。
Part ? Writing (10 minutes) Directions: This part is to test your ability to do practical writing. Your writing
should be based on the following instruction.