DOC

Attendance

By Geraldine Reed,2014-05-20 13:07
13 views 0
Attendance

    SENATE MINUTES 11/6/07

    ATTENDANCE:

    Executive Board Members Present Not Present Late Mike Zwolinski ? Georgina Cannan ? Taavi Raidma ? Hilary Emerson ?(Excused) Matt Bresnahan ? Eli Lovely ? Victor Martinez ? Katie Stanley ? Corinna McFarland ?

    Senators Present Not Present Late Gabe Amo ? Effrain Arias ? ? Ashley Arra ? (Excused) Amy Brown ? Max Cohen ? Jessica Coons ? Tess Cunard ? Amy Dumont ? Laura Gallant ? Leo Gayne ? Eric Ginsburg ? Zach Ginsburg ? Ashley Kuhn ? Reid Lavoie ?

    Ian Lyons ? Cassie Migani ? Lindsey Nielsen ? Bethany Pine ? Todd Roazen ? Genevieve Scoville ? Nicole Schmitz ? Austin Simko III ?(Excused) Ben Spalter ?(Excused) Cara Strachan ? Katie Wilshusen ? Jonathan Wolinsky ?

PUBLIC COMMENTARY:

None

ANNOUCEMENTS:

Corinna (Hilary in spirit):

    Go to see A Chorus Line!!! November 8-10, 15-17, 7:30PM Watson. $5 for Students and Seniors, $10 for general admission. Call 508-286-3575 for tickets or email the box office at boxoffice@wheatoncollege.edu to reserve your tickets!

It’s an incredible show that everyone can relate to and is unbelievably hilarious. COME!!

Cassie:

    APET’s sex toy party. November 27th 7:30 to 9:30.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES:

Motion to Approve

    Second

    Discussion

Vote:

    For- 16

    Against- 0

    Abstained- 4

EXECUTIVE BOARD UPDATES:

Corinna:

    Waiting until SGA Week.

Victor:

    PACIE surveys going well, please continue to take them.

Eli:

    Thanks for coming to Ayo speaker.

Katie:

    Nothing.

Matt:

    Nothing yet.

Taavi:

Nothing.

Georgina:

    When we have a guest, please keep a respectful tone with each other. This is a professional discussion of people’s opinions. We have two new senators: Lindsey

    Nielson and Cara Strachan.

Mike:

    Go to Chorus Line, tickets are selling quickly! 98% of Senior Class participates in giving to the Annual Fund/Class gift, then Dean Sue and President Crutcher will jump in the pond.

CLASS OFFICERS UPDATES:

Cassie:

    Yesterday was class dinner. Katherine Bartlett ’68 is the graduation speaker. Class sweatshirts will be going on sale. $18 for crew sweatshirts and $23 for hoodies. Do your class gift.

    Ashley K: Bonfire next Thursday. Giving shirts away for class of 2009.

Ashley A:

Tess:

    menu for class dinner on January 27th. Class t-shirt has been chosen. Toy and book drive

    for the Nursery school.

COMMITTEE UPDATES:

1. BAC

Mike:

    Campus master plan and new science center.

2. VENTURE FUND

Taavi:

    Working on approving applications. Over $2000 left for this semester. Senate and Speaker Fund have more money, apply there.

3. VISIONS

Katie W:

    Great meeting, will discuss in SGA week

4. WAC

Taavi:

    We are working on it.

6. SCAPP

Matt:

    Community-wide survey in Spring.

7. SHAC and FAC

Georgina:

    Agenda sets

AGENDA ITEMS:

1. CHUCK FURGAL

Mike:

    There were Meadows break-ins during Halloween time. Now this is a big story and people are unsure as to what actually happened. We would like to know about what exactly happened and what the response was. I met with Nancy Just, Dean Jack, and Mr. Furgal today and now they are here.

Mr. Furgal:

    Early Saturday, non-students were let into Meadows North by a student. They got into the building. One boy found these people in his room like they were attempting to steal. He confronted and they left…he called PS. They didn’t find anyone. Next day, they received calls that open doors people had come in and stuff was stolen. 3, 4, or 5 in the morning. Room entered and assumed it was the same group of people who did all break-ins. Isolated activity to Meadows North, but didn’t receive calls until next day. Monday reports were filed. Dean Bell notified ACs and RAs to inform students about not letting people in to buildings. No clear description of people, assumed non-students. Have contacted all involved and are doing interviews with those willing. Larger concern is access to building. Regardless of technology of dorm entry, once in, they are in. PS cannot control people leaving their own doors unlocked. This isn’t the first time these types of things have happened. Intoxicated people mistakenly enter rooms that aren’t their own, but students themselves need to lock doors when they are asleep.

Mike:

    Nancy Just said same thing. Room locks changed for students who incurred break-in. Dorm locks not being changed because students can still let others in.

Mr. Furgal:

    PS has box in office of lost keys. They will periodically take to locksmith to determine where the keys belong. People loose keys all the time in normal situations.

Georgina:

    Opening up speaker’s list. Katie Franklin is also here because she interviewed those students.

Cara:

    Rumors about this issue. One thing I’ve heard is that there was a woods incident, which

    occurred when PS was in the library.

Mr. Furgal:

    Student in distress and ran into woods. We needed to find them ASAP because of the circumstances and that is all that happened. Cell phone conversation between this person and NPD and Fire Department. Needed attention and needed to be found. It became public because of police and fire departments. She was confused about location. Easy to get lost in the woods.

Jonathan:

    Shedding light on this is helpful…why wasn’t there a campus-wide notification about

    locking doors because of incidents?

Dean Jack:

    No evidence of threat to campus. Was told to Meadows residents.

Amy:

    Agreed, but I think because of the nature of the incident I think that students should have received reminder to lock doors.

Mr. Furgal:

    John Melkonian’s job to notify students and have him talk to students about importance of locking doors.

Dean Jack:

    I am worried about the unlocked doors. I understand that it is late and you might not want to cause trouble to not let people in to dorm. But you also should call PS just in case. We should be mindful that safety is about taking care of each other. The thought of going to bed with door unlocked and finding people in there that you don’t know drives

    me nuts. Feeling of close-knit community, but then this incident happens and makes people think twice about community. Need to get message out to students to take care of self and others. Campus behavior about safety we need to use to feel safe. PS is a service to us to help us feel secure on campus. Please take this message to heart that we need to work together as a community to help everyone.

Eric:

    Thanks for coming. For the administration side, I think notification is job of them and not PS. An e-mail should have been sent out to all students about locking doors and if anyone had any information about the incidences.

Dean Jack:

    We didn’t think that was necessary, pursued the same way everything else is. Only learned extent of incidents after 12 hours after. The prudent thing to do without incurring state of alarm for all. Notified when think that it is a threat to whole campus.

Ian:

    My understanding that room and dorm keys are missing and these perpetrators might have them still. Campus alarm happens more with rumors that start. Administration has responsibility to tell us before rumors start. In the future I would appreciate a campus-wide e-mail.

Mr. Furgal:

    Keys taken at dance and not from room and they were returned.

Nicole:

    I live in Meadows and it can be accessed from many ways. How can we make it safer?

Mr. Furgal:

    Doesn’t matter how many PS officers or locks because people let others in to building. Students should call PS about these types of suspicious people. You shouldn’t be

    confrontational with people who you suspect. Educate students as to what they should and shouldn’t do and when to call us.

Dean Jack:

    What do you think we should do?

Nicole:

    E-mail about keeping self safer. What to do in these types of situations.

Jonathan:

    I think it is a threat to campus safety. We can do crazy things to ensure people don’t get in, but students can still let others in. Silence creates more confusion and panic. Our duty to lock doors, don’t let others in, and call PS. But it would be helpful to hear from

    the administration.

Todd:

    Established importance of e-mail. We need to change fundamental ways that people deal with locking doors. People automatically let others in to dorms. Change campus culture, not to scare people, but to tell people the importance of locking doors and keeping keys on you. Get information out to students.

Dean Jack:

How do we get that message out?

Todd:

    Floor meetings with all RAs.

Ashley Kuhn:

    Unknown person on my floor this year and I called a floor meeting. People afraid to call

    PS. Important to have meeting to inform. We need to have education that it is ok to call

    PS.

Cassie:

    People that don’t come to floor meetings are people who let others in- preaching to choir.

    You need to feel comfortable calling PS.

Amy Dumont:

    Overall perception of PS. We need to have something where we know we are being

    protected and not regulated. Students don’t know that PS is there for a good reason to

    help us. Connection between students and PS so we know what options are available to

    us when it comes to PS. Students don’t know that PS is working on things when e-mails

    aren’t sent out. E-mail and one floor meeting won’t solve it…change of culture. PS not police, but safety.

Dean Jack:

    We’ve talked about this a lot over the years. We talked about this last year in Senate with

    Dean Sue. “Keeping the Peace”- everyone has a stake in maintaining a safe campus without violence. We are all the peacekeepers, what is my role in that? Keep people

    invested in that model of community safety. We should talk about how we can foster that

    environment. Share responsibility so people feel they are contributing.

Laura:

    I did hold a floor meeting about this and it was beneficial because people didn’t know

    about it. Quad meetings would be a location to talk about it.

Matt:

    As a house president, it is a constant battle to have people not prop doors. We need a

    better community because people are lazy and don’t want to keep keys on them.

Zach:

    Supposing I return to my room after this meeting and find someone strange in my room.

    What steps should I take?

Mr. Furgal:

    Who are you and what are you looking for? Do it from the hallway. Don’t confront with

    no way to leave. Keep description of person and call PS ASAP. PS responds and person

    will take off. Watch where they go and don’t follow them. PS takes over after that.

Jess:

    A lot of the campus gets e-mails but deletes them. I might have felt more comfortable getting an e-mail. But rumors increased my nervousness. Interaction with RA and maybe PS officer to tell us what happened and how to counteract entry by outsiders.

Victor:

    Reiterate what Matt says about building community from top, down. Campus as a whole isn’t aware of what happened, I hope this doesn’t get blown over where we are scared and then nothing happens. Address the safety issue when it is in people’s minds. RAs at tables in dorm entries on weekends to check IDs. People need to take responsibility, but that is hard without help from the top to push it.

Ashley:

    RAs already on rounds on weekends.

Cassie:

    We do rounds at least twice and at certain times. Change patterns so people can’t follow RAs rounds. Currently, how can we have people at doors when there are many doors?

Genevieve:

    Small solution to problem. Put PS number in cell phone. Senators tell students to do this so they can call immediately.

Amy Brown:

    Alternative approach to campus-wide e-mail. Give details to RAs and they can decide how to disseminate to residents.

Mr. Furgal:

    In defense of RAs, half of our calls of concerns are from RAs when on rounds or not.

Reid:

    Phone calls, when we call x3333, does PS know my location? Deal with problem as a community and help out one another.

Mr. Furgal:

    Yes, we know the location.

Ian:

    I was part of library patrol system when asked to see IDs. Students harass these people anyway…if this were at dorms then there would be an increase in harassment. RAs feel more comfortable calling PS because they have a better relationship with the officers. Other students don’t know these people and thus don’t want to call as much. Students might not call because they are drunk and even if they see problem, might not call because of that reason of fear of being written-up. Poor decisions when drunk.

Mr. Furgal:

Safety of building trumps your level of intoxication. Officer would be more focused on

    finding intruder than getting you in trouble.

Mike:

    Thanks for coming. Topics talked about: one, potential threat and possibility of

    perceived threat. In the future, notify because rumors generate more problems. We are

    the first, best line of defense. Our responsibility to take on this role.

Dean Jack:

    We would like to talk more about how to increase this feeling on “Keeping the Peace” and how to increase community responsibility.

Georgina:

    Thanks for coming.

2. DEBRIEF WITH SENATORS- about PS visit

Laura:

    Didn’t handle this properly with the way students would have liked. Up to Senators to

    inform students when administration wouldn’t. We should do this at quad meetings. We

    need a new approach to talk to constituents as what PS and students should be doing for

    safety concerns. This shouldn’t be in context of specific incident, but in general.

    Learning how students want to be informed.

Ian:

    Fee to open doors. Lower this fee and people might lock doors more. Tell them there is

    a box of keys at PS so we don’t have to pay again.

Jonathan:

    They dropped ball in informing people of incident. They needed to tell us so that others

    can be more aware and lock doors. With library fire, assaults, and this, PS shouldn’t have

    to be detectives but they don’t have time to inform all of campus when they are taking

    care of follow-up on incidents. Students responsibility to pick up their slack in

    communication.

Georgina:

    Not PS decision to not tell students.

Amy Dumont:

    People think PS has sole authority about campus communication about these issues. But

    the problem is more Student Life than PS. We don’t know follow-up to incidents so we

    don’t feel safe because we don’t see end results. We don’t have relationship with them.

Cara:

    Ian’s point was good about underage people not wanting to call PS because of fear of written-up and not safety. Policy for situation when safety is involved, you should be able to call and not fear being written-up. This is really important to talk to them about.

Todd:

    John Melkonian said that the friend in trouble is more important than being written-up. He doesn’t understand consequences for students when they don’t call.

Ian:

    Need to publicize need to call PS in safety situations.

Amy:

    Immunity. This is why we need this for these types of situations. Told John Melkonian this.

Georgina:

    Student Life would decide these issues, not PS.

Laura:

    We keep talking about this. Not wanting to call because concern over written-up over the safety of friends and others. Being written-up is not a big deal if a friend is in trouble.

Ashley Kuhn:

    If people knew PS officers, they would feel more comfortable calling them. Other students need to meet PS officers in an informal setting. In SGA Week and maybe freshman orientation.

Matt:

    Second Laura’s point. People have personal responsibility to carry keys and look out for

    friends. Immunity issue is being looked at by SCAPP to recommend this.

Todd:

    Carrying keys is easy but many students don’t do that. We can’t police people but we can help them out to remind them to be responsible.

Corinna:

    21 year olds don’t see problem with calling because we won’t get in trouble but freshman don’t have this and don’t know as much about campus structure and how to be responsible.

Laura:

    Isn’t right to forfeit safety of friend over your status. We should have these responsibility

    discussions because policy changes.

Amy Dumont:

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email
cust-service@docsford.com