Activities Commission General Board Meeting
College Union Board Room (CU 351)
September 10, 2009
Meeting called to order: 6:30pm
Present: Corey, Carey, Kevin, Lee, Danielle, Kellie, James, Kian, Stephanie, Sara, Caitlin, Doug,
Jenny, Emily, and Curt
I. Approval of Agenda
1. Corey – Is there anything that needs to be added to the agenda? No changes made,
II. Updates th1. Asad – Two Fridays from now (September 25) comedian Eliot Chang is coming.
thThe show starts at 9pm in Wadsworth Auditorium. Also, on Saturday (September 26)
at 9am we have the Career Connections Brunch. It’s a networking event through
GOLD, sponsored by Career Services, Activities Commission, GOLD, and Alumni
Relations. You have to register through the GOLD website. The deadline for
registering and holding a seat at this event is September 18th. Later that same night
we have the fireworks display at Letchworth field.
2. James – ―Star Trek‖ went well. There were 425 people who showed up. We’re
thshowing ―L.A. Confidential‖ at 9pm on September 12 outside South Hall. I plan on
doing an advertising slideshow for upcoming events at the movie showing. Just create
a slide on Powerpoint and send it to me by tomorrow if you want your event included
in the slideshow.
3. Kellie – Kian and I have been contacting the dance teachers around campus to get
their students to come to the Parsons Dance show. We have all of our scheduling
done for the event. We will be passing around a signup sheet for drivers who will
transport the Dance Company. We need one driver at 10:45am on Friday, and 2 other
people for Sunday morning.
4. Curt – The Hoodies and Sam Ventura event garnered a lot of people—over 500.
thCirculatory System is coming up next on September 15 at the Knight Spot. I’ll send
out an email about having ACers helping me set up. I’m also working on finding an
a’capella opener for the Blanks. 5. Lee – Female Orgasm was this week and went really well. I’ve been talking to the
people who produce ―Man Versus Food‖ on the Travel Channel. I’m trying to work
something out but it seems unlikely that he will be added to our events.
6. Danielle – I’ve been working on Limelight advertizing. In ―The Insider‖ tomorrow
there will be an ad. There’s also an ad running in ―The City‖ the right now, and there
will be one in the ―Democrat & Chronicle‖ on Saturday. Also radio ad spots on
100.5fm – The Drive start on Monday.
7. Carey – The Student Organization Expo is next Wednesday. You will want to
represent for AC (there’s a sign up sheet for 15-minute intervals for ACers to man our
table), and remind other students about it. Also we have Dale K, the comedic
hypnotist, coming tomorrow night at 9pm as a part of CU&A.
8. Kevin – I’ve been doing more work on coordinating the website updates. We have
decided to take our own pictures for the website with the AC camera. We will
probably do this at the Parsons Dance show, that way everyone will be dressed up and
camera-ready. If your picture isn’t taken there, we can always do it at a General
Board Meeting. Also, I need Office Hours from some members. There is a sheet I’ll
pass around where you can sign up for your hours for this semester.
9. Jenny – Inter-Glacial Free Trade opened this week. It went well, and a lot of people
have come in to the Gallery. There was a talk-back in the Writer’s House with the
artist, about 20 students attended. I’ve been working on Cultural Harmony Week
(―Weaving who we are‖) with the Center for Community. Curt and I are planning an
Upstate Escape for First Fridays—which is a monthly event in Rochester where
several art galleries/artists open their doors for free in the city to showcase their work.
I’m in the process of trying to bring cartoon/movie/CGI exhibit to campus. The
artwork on display would include illustrations and even 3-D statues from production
like the ―Incredible Hulk‖ movie. Also, The Kinetic Galley sign is going up next
10. Sara – Caitlin and I have hung a lot of posters this week for a bunch of different
events. We’ve been working on table tents for Parsons that will go in MJ and other
11. Doug – I’m working on budgets—you’ll have them soon. Yellow copies of your
Purchase Orders can be put in the AC mailbox in the SA office. Receipts can also be
placed in that box and I will process them.
12. Kian – I’ve been talking to the Manager of Parsons Dance Co., getting arrangements
for the hotels ready. Heavy advertisement for the show is coming next week.
13. Emily – I’ve been working with our booking agent for the concert. If anyone needs
help with anything, let me know and I’ll help out!
14. Stephanie – I spoke to Carey today about the Community Service event. I’ll call one
of the area schools to start setting up with them. I sent out information about our
Special Events application in the What’s Up mailing, but I haven’t received any
response yet. I’ll send out another one tonight.
15. Corey – There will be an open discussion on Purchase Orders next week at the SA
meeting. They’re also talking about having an open discussion with CAS sometime
soon, probably within the next month. Carey has rearranged the posters in the office
for P&P so that they’re organized in the box. Also make sure you are regularly
checking your mailboxes in CU 321—everyone on AC has one. For stipended
psitions, email your report to Haleema, Carey and myself, then you print out a copy
and hand it to Kate. They are due bi-weekly at 4pm every two weeks. I’m passing out
a sheet with these directions and the report due-dates.
III. Upcoming Events Sign-ups
1. Corey – If anyone has an upcoming event—KINO movie, L&A, etc.—bring a sign
up sheet to our general board meetings so that ACers can sign up for jobs that you
assign to help out at your event. If there isn’t anything you need, consider having
people to set up and man an AC Information table at your event.
1. Corey – This Saturday is our retreat the Letchworth State Park. I’m passing around
an itinerary sheet. I’m going to try and rent out Kan Jam. If anyone wants to bring
any games/activity ideas, do it! Also, does anyone have any dietary concerns that we
should be aware of? (No dietary concerns brought to attention). I also have driver
forms and passenger forms for transportation to and from the park. Sign the forms
and return them to me before you leave this evening.
1. Recognition for everyone for all their hard work!
VI. Anything Else?
1. No members had any additional comments or concerns.
Meeting adjourned: 7:08pm