The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located in beautiful Golden, CO, is a leader in
the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future for the nation that is
environmentally and economically sustainable. Our mission is to develop renewable energy and
energy efficiency technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering and
transfer knowledge and innovations to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
Senior Geothermal Heat Pump Engineer
This is an advanced level engineering position with a focus on R&D projects related to
Geothermal Heat Pumps and other building energy technologies. The incumbent will be
responsible for engineering/R&D projects in the GHP area, including developing project
goals, technical approach, and performing work. This work will be conducted in close
collaboration with teams of engineers and scientists from NREL and collaborators from outside
the laboratory. Must be able to develop a long-term program plan for GHP R&D that advances
DOE goals and supports U.S. industry.
• Develop a monitoring program for GHP systems that includes data collection, analysis,
case study documentation, and providing insights for R&D activities
• Has project leadership for developing one or more data collection packages for monitoring
showcase GHP systems nationally.
• Responsible for developing collaborations with GHP installations to collect and use performance
and cost data.
• Responsible for directing team of Information Technology staff to develop multiple data
display/analysis options for internet access to project data
• Initiates innovative engineering/research in areas supporting task or work-for-others
• Developing advanced models, programs, analysis, and approaches.
• Interpreting technical results.
• Develop and manage project budgets.
• Maintains and further develops collaborations with other national laboratories, universities, and
the private sector
• Publishes results in technical journals/conference proceedings; presents work at conferences,
symposia, and review meetings.
• Follows all ES&H policies and procedures to ensure and maintain a safe working environment.
Required Education and Experience
Relevant PhD and 4 years experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Master's Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Bachelor's Degree and 9 years experience or equivalent relevant
Additional Basic Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Demonstrated technical knowledge of engineering practices, procedures, and techniques related
to the design, installation, and commissioning of GHP systems. Demonstrated leadership on one
or more areas of team, task, or project lead responsibilities. Demonstrated ability to deliver
results in a timely manner and within a constrained budget. Demonstration in independent work,
and ability to work with others in a team environment. Strong interpersonal and communication
(oral and written) skills. Experience in project management of basic projects.
Certified IGSHPA geo-exchange (GHP) designer
• Five years or more experience in GHP design • Familiarity with DOE energy efficiency and renewable energy programs • External visibility in building energy efficiency circles
Pre-employment drug testing required.
Submit Your Resume
Please visit our website for more information and to apply online:
NREL is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and a drug-free workplace.
Please include a cover letter specific to each position you are applying to indicating how you match
the requirements of the posting.