1. Brea and Elizabeth are having a dispute 2. It’s a wonder to me how anyone can still over which radio station to play at work. It be undecided about this election. These two would be so much simpler if they both liked candidates are certainly distinct. Each would the same kind of music. lead our nation in opposite directions.
A dispute is a __________. What does “distinct” mean?
a. musical instrument a. needing a bath
b. choice of music b. dishonest
c. discovery c. clearly different
d. disagreement d. about the same age
3. Mr. Huge was very proud of his auto 4. Friendship is a priceless thing. If Chris superstore. “We have such an extensive put a price, or conditions, on her friendship, selection of cars,” he said, “so everyone it’s no longer priceless. In fact, it’s not real should find a vehicle that he or she will love!” friendship at all!
The word “extensive” means __________. If something is priceless, __________.
a. costing a lot of money a. it has a missing tag
b. large amount b. it has no value
c. having no color c. it has great value
d. not enough d. it is made out of rice
5. The reporter insisted that the letter he 6. Your plan looks good. I hope it will really used was authentic. He said that he had work. It’s time to implement it and see if it’s shown it to many experts before he used it as brilliant as you claim.
in his story.
When something is authentic, it’s b. take apart
__________. c. change
d. carry out
a. genuine, or real
b. carefully written
c. full of tasty worms
d. very old
7. The home team made sure that the 8. We walked slowly down the trail with officials were on their side. They won a close great trepidation. No one who had gone this game and the championship with many way had ever been heard from again. Had questionable decisions from the officials. they simply found a better place to settle on However, no one from any other town would this dark planet? We doubted that.
accept the winners as legitimate champions.
Which word is a synonym of “trepidation”?
What does “legitimate” mean?
a. real b. worry
b. talented c. enjoyment
c. sneaky d. laughter
d. good looking
9. Only an hour or so had passed before a 10. We have rather lofty expectations for tremendous roar shook the ground. At that you, son. You will attend college. You will very moment, a strange grey creature become rich and famous. You will be elected materialized before our eyes. It resembled president of the United States before you a lizard in shape. It was about ten feet high turn forty.
at the shoulders and at least fifty feet long.
4. Which word is a synonym of “lofty”?
2. What did the creature do?
a. It whipped its tail back and forth. b. shaky
b. It stamped its feet. c. small
c. It showed its sharp teeth. d. lowly
d. It appeared.
11. When Beth and Donna were fighting over 12. No one suspected that Jerry was a spy. a boy who didn’t like either one of them, On the surface he behaved like any normal Shana stepped in as a mediator. She sat citizen. When his covert activity was
them both in a corner and kept them talking discovered and announced to the world, we to each other. Finally, Shana’s efforts were all shocked.
resulted in her two friends making up.
a. troublemaker b. helpful
b. peacemaker c. loud
c. witness d. hidden
13. I am working very hard for the same 14. I want you to weigh his words carefully. candidate that you support. You are doing it He seems sincere and presents his for pay. I’m not doing this for money. I’m arguments well. There is, however, doing it out of conviction. something that doesn’t quite ring true about
a. being found guilty
b. strong belief What does “weigh” mean in the context of c. anger the selection?
d. a desire to eat prunes
a. to measure the mass
b. to put pressure on a scale
c. to think about
d. to be important
15. Michael is an ardent supporter of his 16. I think it would help our basketball team, presidential candidate. That became obvious if we allowed girls to play. I’ve seen how to me when I found out how much time he’s Patty has a knack for making the tough donated to the campaign. Perhaps Michael shots when they’re needed most. She wants knows what he’s doing. to play on our team and we’d win more games
with her help.
What does “ardent” mean in the context of
the selection? What does “knack” mean?
a. old a. to throw or toss
b. intelligent b. a hard punch
c. foolish c. a kind of sports bag
d. very strong d. an ability
Context Clues Answer Key
1. D- disagreement 2. C- clearly different 3. B-large amount 4. C- has great value 5. A- genuine or real 6. D- carry out
7. A- real
8. B- worry
9. D- it appeared 10. A- high
12. D- hidden
13. B- strong belief 14. C- think about 15. D-very strong
16. D- an ability