By Andrew Reynolds,2014-05-18 02:51
8 views 0





This document sets out the travel and subsistence rates applicable to both the

    UK and overseas. In addition, it explains the procedures for calculating and

    submitting expense claims. It should be read in conjunction with the School’s

    Financial Regulations. Information on travel insurance is given at the end of

    this document.


The following procedures apply to all travel and subsistence expenditure

    incurred on School business, including that funded by external research

    organisations and private donations. The procedures apply to all staff,

    students and visitors whose claims are to be met by the School.

Permission to travel must always be obtained from your line manager, who

    will ensure that there is adequate budget provision.


The traveller must seek an appropriate method of transport and ensure that

    trips are undertaken using the most economical method. The School’s

    Purchasing Manager, Rob Godfrey (, where possible, will

    provide information on value for money travel providers and include, where

    appropriate, the School’s current preferred supplier should they be a viable


The traveller books travel requirement using either a personal debit/credit

    card or SOAS Purchasing Card.

Air & Rail Travel

Air travel will be reimbursed at the cost of economy class fares. Rail travel

    will be reimbursed at the cost of standard class fares. Air travel by first or

    business class must be approved in writing in advance by the Director &

    Principal, Registrar & Secretary or Director of Finance.

The School will not reimburse claims where private loyalty scheme points e.g

    Air Miles have been used for School travel and the cash equivalent is sought upon redemption.


Private Motor Vehicles

Private motor vehicles should only be used under the following conditions:

    ? Where 2 or more School people travel together, so that the combined

    cost of their journey by public transport would exceed that calculated

    using the mileage rates.

    ? Where the traveller is disabled or is assisting a disabled person.

    ? Where bulky equipment is being carried.

    ? Where the destination is not accessible, or requires an excessively long

    or arduous journey by public transport.

    ? In special circumstances if approved in advance of travel by the line

    manager of the individual.

NB Employees using their own vehicles must check that their motor

    insurance policy permits “use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes and

    for the business of the Policyholder or the Policyholder’s employer”

Motor mileage rates:-

Mileage rates approved by HM Revenue & Customs

Cars & vans 40p per mile

Motor cycles 24p per mile

Bicycles 20p per mile

Mileage claims must include the following information:

    ? Date of travel

    ? Journey start and end locations

    ? Purpose of journey

    ? Number of miles travelled

    ? Engine size in cc’s

    ? Car registration number

Car Parking

Where private vehicle use is approved, normal parking charges incurred on

    business journeys may be reclaimed, along with the mileage rates shown

    above. Receipts must be provided.


Home to Work Travel

Travelling costs between home and the normal place of work can never be

    claimed (but see section on Late Night Taxis)


Generally, journeys within London should be by tube or bus. Taxis may,

    however be justified in the following circumstances. For example, where staff

    are required to work exceptionally late (after 11pm) they may be reimbursed

    their taxi fares home at their manager’s discretion.


The following rules apply to both UK and overseas subsistence payments:

    ? All rates are quoted in sterling.

    ? Claims must be for actual expenditure incurred and supported by


    ? The indicative daily allowances should enable the purchase of hotel

    accommodation corresponding roughly to three-star standard in the UK,

    although in some places this standard of accommodation will be

    available at significantly lower prices. The rate also includes breakfast,

    lunch and dinner, including up to two alcoholic drinks with lunch and


    ? If the appropriate standard of accommodation is unobtainable at the

    indicated price, please bring this to the attention of their line manager

    when submitting the claim for reimbursement.

    ? These rates are intended to apply to short stay periods. For periods

    exceeding 30 days, special hotel discount rates should be negotiated

    or rented accommodation obtained.

Both the UK and overseas subsistence rates apply to expenses incurred

    whilst on School business.

These rates are costed on the basis of staying in a capital or large city. It is

    anticipated costs elsewhere would be lower. The amounts stated represent

    only a contribution towards basic living costs. Personal expenditure, alcoholic

    drink (except with a meal), tobacco etc should not be included. Receipts must

    be provided when claiming subsistence.

Subsistence rates can be found on:


Hospitality Allowance

    If staying with friends, relatives or colleagues has saved hotel accommodation costs, a Hospitality Payment of up to ?25 per person per 24-hour period may be claimed. You should claim whatever you have actually paid out, to a maximum of ?25 per day. Receipts must be provided in support of your claim, including acknowledgement of cash given directly to your host. Please ask your host to give you a receipt addressed to you with details of the address and dates of your stay. This rate applies worldwide.

Personal Incidental Expenses (PIE)

    Employees staying away from home overnight on business often incur minor additional expenses of a personal nature i.e. newspapers, laundry, phone calls home (limited to one per day) etc.

The maximum PIE reimbursements are as follows:

Within the UK ?5 per night

Outside the UK ?10 per night

If PIE’s have been included within a hotel bill and do not exceed the daily

    allowances you may simply claim the actual hotel bill in full. Receipts must be provided in support of your claim.

Authorisation of Expenditure

    Expense claim forms can be found on the Finance intranet. Individuals are not permitted to authorise their own expenses. Expense claims must be authorised by the relevant budget holder. If the individual making a claim is a budget holder his claim must be authorised by his line manager. Arrangements for travel by the Director and Principal shall be approved on behalf of Governing Body by the Registrar & Secretary. The person authorising the claim must ensure the total claimed does not exceed the maximum daily subsistence allowance (listed on the website) and that appropriate evidence of expenditure i.e. receipts or invoices are attached. Please note that credit card slips, bank statements or copy cheques are not appropriate evidence of expenditure. Completed forms should be sent to Finance for payment.

Money for Travel in Advance


    Advances should only be sought in exceptional circumstances. Applications for advances must be approved by your Head of Department and submitted to Finance for processing.

    Within one month after completion of the travel to which the advance relates, a final account must be prepared to demonstrate how the advance was disbursed and any unspent balance repaid. Under no circumstances will a second advance be approved when the final accounting for an earlier advance to an individual is still outstanding.

Payment by Personal Credit Card

    The School will refund currency conversion charges and commission, but not interest due to late settlement of personal accounts. Receipts, not credit card vouchers, must support credit card payments.

Family Travel & Private Holidays

    The School does not meet the cost of private holidays but it is perfectly acceptable to tag holiday onto a trip primarily undertaken for School business purposes. The traveller must apportion the costs between business and personal travel and claim accordingly.

    Where spouses, partners or other persons unconnected with the School intend to participate in a trip, this must be clearly identified in advance. The costs must be separated or apportioned appropriately. For example, if a single room costs $70 and a twin $100, only the cost of the single room should be claimed.

    Where travel facilities for mixed private/School trips are booked using School ordering or payment channels, a reimbursement of any part attribute to private holidays or travelling companions must be tendered. Ideally, the travel agent, airline or conference organiser should be asked to separate the private component at source and seek payment directly from the individuals concerned, thereby not involving the School at all. The School expects prompt settlement of private travel costs. The individual authorising travel expenses is responsible for ensuring that any private component is not charged to the School.

Travel & Health

    The following websites provide information on vaccinations and health precautions for most overseas countries:

     5 or

Contact your GP to obtain vaccinations.


    A travel insurance policy is permanently in force for travel by employees undertaken on behalf of the School. Please apply for an insurance travel card

    from your Faculty/Department administrator or directly from John Faulkner on

    ext. 5022 or Jane Wood on ext. 5026. You should take this card with you

    whenever you are travelling abroad.

Please note that:

    ? Travellers over the age of 75 are not insured by the School.

    ? Travel to Disturbed Areas is excluded unless terms are agreed in


    Report claims to John Faulkner Room V206 ( Losses should be reported immediately to the local police or the transport carrier. Receipts

    should be obtained to support the claim on return to the UK.




    Effective Time: Business trips outside the UK and trips within the UK

    provided such trips involve an overnight stay and/or flying


    Insured Persons: All staff members of the insured normally resident in the


    Include partner: No.

    Include children: No.

Benefit UK and/or Country of Rest of World


Personal Accident Details available

Medical Expenses N/A Unlimited

    Deductible/Franchise: Nil

Cancellation/Curtailment/ ?2,000 ?10,000



Repatriation N/A Unlimited

Legal Expenses ?50,000 ?50,000

Personal Belongings ?2,000 ?2,000

    Deductible/Franchise: Nil

Business Equipment: ?1,500 ?1,500

    Deductible: Nil

Money ?1,000 ?1,000

    Deductible/Franchise: Nil

Travel Delay ?450 Max ?450 Max

Hijack/Kidnap (subject to a ?500 per day ?500 per day

    Maximum of ?25,000)

Personal Liability ?1,000,000 ?1,000,000


Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email