North Seattle Community College
Course Syllabus – ESL 013.02 – Spring Quarter 2010
CLASS : ESL 013.02
DAY / TIME: DAILY / 12:00 P.M. -- 1:50 P.M.
INSTRUCTOR: Paula Cosko
OFFICE: IB 2423C – Suite #11
OFFICE HOURS: Daily 10:00 A.M. – 12:00 P.M. / 2:00 P.M. -- 3:00 P.M.
or by appointment.
OFFICE PHONE: Call Paula’s office when you can not come to class:
Please speak VERY SLOWLY, and LOUDLY.
You can say: “This is ____________________________.
Today is ___________________________ .
(Month and Date)
I cannot come to class today because ___________.
I will return on __________.”
You can email Paula at: email@example.com
TEXTBOOKS: Please bring your textbooks to class every day.
1. Ventures Basic (Student Book and Workbook (2-book Package…in Bookstore)
2 The Basic Oxford Picture Dictionary (red color…in Bookstore)
3. Study Packet for ESL 013 (Buy from Paula Cosko for $5.)
SUPPLIES: Bring to class every day:
1. Your textbooks: Ventures Basic (Book and Workbook) and Study Packet
The Basic Oxford Picture Dictionary
2. A pencil and an eraser (All class work and homework is done in pencil.) 3. Paper: 8 1/2” x 11”, 3-hole, white, loose-leaf paper (Class work and
homework is done on this paper.)
4. A notebook (to write notes in from class)
5. A ring-binder (for your study packet, class papers, and homework) 6. A set of 6 colored pencils, pens, crayons, or highlighters
(Get: red, green, blue, black, yellow, purple)
OBJECTIVES: To improve your skills to understand, speak, read, and write
English better in every day situations.
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER:
1. Class begins at 12:00 P.M. every day.
2. Speak only English in class!
3. Turn Off your cell phone before you come in the classroom.
Do Not use your cell phone in the classroom.
4. Gum: Do not chew gum in class.
5.. Make your appointments after class so you will not miss your class. When you
make your appointments, you can say:
“May I have a different time because I have English class from 12:00 to 1:50.
6. North Seattle Community says children cannot come to class with you.
7. Smoking: Please be careful! Smoke outside where these are “OK to smoke” signs.
8. Wearing cologne, strong shampoo, after-shave lotion: Some people feel very sick
when they smell them. Please help! Do not wear them to class.
9. Going to the LOFT You can go to the Loft in the Library for more help and practice
with your English. The Loft is on the second floor inside the Library.
10. No class: st *Monday, May 31 (No School – Memorial Day)
th11. Last day of class: Our ESL 013 last day of class is Friday, June 11 . thth Summer Quarter: Monday, June 28 thru Friday, August 20 thth Fall Quarter: Monday, September 27 thru Thursday, December 16
12. Emergency Closure? Is the College Open? In the case of snow, an earthquake,
or other emergencies, call 206-527-3709 (Humanities Office)
or 206-527-3600 (the College Administration)
OR: Listen to these AM Radio Stations: KOMO (1000) KIRO (710) KIXI (880)
OR: Watch these TV Stations: Channels 4, 5, 7
OR: Go to these websites: http://www.schoolreport.org
1. If you are absent on a test day, you must take the test within one week after the
scheduled test day.
2. Practice Tests cannot be made up.
WRITING AND HOMEWORK POLICIES:
Writing: It is very important for you to do your own writing when the teacher asks you
to write sentences, a paragraph, or a story in class or at home.
* Do not copy another student’s sentences, paragraph, or story.
* Do not copy sentences, a paragraph, or a story from a book or off the Internet. * Do not ask someone to write sentences, a paragraph, or a story for you.
Homework: It is very important for you to do your homework on your own at home.
* Do not copy another student’s homework.
* Do not do homework in class.
* Do not ask someone to do the homework for you.
* Do not copy from a book or off the Internet.
Your grades will be from homework, tests, and classroom activities (speaking, listening, reading, writing) and from attendance.
100 – 90% = 4 = Excellent (Pass to the next class = 021)
89 – 75% = 3 = Good (Pass to the next class = 021)
74 – 60% = 2 = Need to study more (Stay in 013)
59 – 0% = 1 = Need much more study and review (Stay in 013)
1. You can be in 013 three quarters if you need to and have attendance of 75% or more.
2. After 3 quarters if you are not ready for 021, but you are getting better in your work th and on the CASAS test, you can ask Kim Chapman for a 4 quarter in 013. th3. If you don’t want a 4 quarter in 013, you may take only supplemental classes. After 6
months, you must retake the placement test and place into 021 to take a 10 hour class.
REGISTRATION INTO LEVEL 021:
To be able to register into Level 021, you must:
1. Attend class in 013 at least 75% of the time.
2. COMPLETE at least 75% of the homework.
3. Take at least 75% of the listening, speaking, reading, and writing tests. 4. Have and average grade of 3 or 4 (75% - 100%) in EACH of these areas.