Owning a car - HOME by Australian Refugee Association

By Alex Hamilton,2014-05-17 09:58
16 views 0
Owning a car - HOME by Australian Refugee Association


    ? Advantages/ disadvantages of private vs. public transport (security, costs, access, comfort).

    ? Identify personal needs and criteria (what kind of vehicle needed, how much money to spend etc.).

    ? Theory test, payment fee, age requirement. ? : Two options to qualify for a provisional licence are the Vehicle On Road Test (VORT) and

    Competency Based Training (CBT).

    ? list inexpensive driving schools, fees.


    ? A person who becomes a permanent resident of

    South Australia must convert his/her driver’s licence into a South Australian driver’s licence within three

    months from the date of arrival. The holder must undertake the Theory Test and if not from an approved

    country, also a practical driving test or Competency Based Training (CBT).

    ? Choose from a licensed second-hand vehicle dealer with a good reputation,

    because they will usually provide a good follow-up service if repairs arise.

    ? buy second-hand, from a licensed dealer or from auctions. Check advertisements in papers, internet,

    retail outlets (car yards). Compare!

    ? Get in touch with previous owner (you might find out a lot more than the dealer

    knows), get it checked out by the Royal Automobile Association (RAA), a Motor Trade Association (MTA)

    service centre or a qualified independent mechanic. You may have to pay a holding deposit while you are

    having the vehicle inspected. Check the distance it has traveled and what extras it has been fitted with. Get

    every claim and promise the dealer makes in writing. Insist on a test drive, but check your liability should

    you be involved in an accident while test driving.

    ? Check what is covered by the warranty. Read and understand all the papers before you sign

    them. Once you sign, you are legally committed.

    ? Be aware that buying a car from someone who is not a licensed dealer may work out cheaper,

    however you have significantly less protection under the law (you are not protected by the Second-Hand

    Vehicle Dealers Act 1995 and statutory warranty will not apply, nor are you guaranteed vehicle ownership).

    Find out if the car has any outstanding payments owed to finance company. Call the Vehicle Security Register

    on 13 10 84. To gain legal protection, get a certificate of the Register entry to prevent repossession by any

    former credit provider.

    ? It pays to be cautious when it comes to borrowing money. Shop around for a loan. Many

    car dealers will offer to arrange finance for you, but you may find you can get more competitive interest

    rates from a bank or credit union.

    ? Vehicle inspections that you may need before you register a vehicle in South

    Australia are: Identity inspection (to check if the vehicle is stolen), Roadworthy inspection, Registration and

    licensing inspection. Call the Customer Service Centre to find out which inspections you need (13 10 84)

    The annual registration fees are $564 for a 4 cylinder car (including stamp duty, emergency services levy,

    compulsory third party insurance premium, and admin fees, $654 for 5 or 6 cylinders and $736 for 7 or

    more cylinders. You may be eligible for a concession (reduction of the fee), call 13 10 84 to find out.

    Number plates can be ordered at any Customer Service Centre.

    ? Compulsory Third Party is as the name suggests, a compulsory insurance that forms

    part of the cost of vehicle registration and covers you or anyone else for death or injury if your car is

    involved in an accident. It does not cover damage to vehicles.

    ? Third Party Property is an insurance that covers you against damage caused

    to other cars and property. It does not offer you any protection to your car.

    ? Be informed about the implications of NOT being insured against damage caused to

    other cars or your own.


    ? (total purchase price of the car, stamp duty, transfer fees, insurance and registration)

    ? about $90 per week

    ? about $65-70 per week

    ? about $15 per week (for a $3000 loan over five years)


    ? check oil, engine coolant and battery electrolyte levels, check if your lights work? tyres, brakes, lights and engine need to be in good condition. If defected, the car can be

    taken off the road and a fee applies to get it cleared.

    ? It pays to have your car serviced regularly. As a minimum, you should service your car


    ? Ask friends and relatives for the names of repairers they use and are happy with. Ask the repairer for

    a written quote before you have any work done. Make it very clear to the repairer that you must be contacted

    before any additional work is begun. You will need to discuss extra costs.

    ? If you have bought your car from a registered car dealer, you are entiteled to a warranty. The

    warranty does not apply when purchased through someone that is not a car dealer. When the repairs have

    been completed, keep the receipt, you may be required to have a receipt before warranty repairs are


    ? speeding, parking, etc.

    ? : fine, demerit points

    ? heck insurance cover

    ? Stay at the scene, offer assistance to victims, stay to exchange particulars for minor

    accident, report to police

? : call 131 444 for free information.

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email