Bridgewater State College
MGMT 490 Strategic Management
Room: HRG 09
Time: 3:15 – 5:50 p.m.
Instructor: Dr. Stan Ross
Office: 101A Harrington Hall
Office Hours: MWF 12:10 to 2:00 p.m. and by appointment
Course Description: This capstone course integrates the knowledge learned in the business courses
along with application of the basic concepts and models of strategic management
and leadership to solve actual business problems. Case studies and/or projects
are the primary pedagogical methods used to demonstrate knowledge and
application of the concepts and models. This course fulfills the writing
intensive in the major requirement for all Management majors.
Prerequisite: Senior Status
Required Text: 1. Strategy, Harvard Business School Publishing Corporation, 2005
2. Learning by the Case Method by John S. Hammond, Harvard
Business School, April 16, 2002, 9-376-241.
3. Four cases from the Harvard Business School Publishing Corp.
Course Objectives: 1. Students develop a basic understanding of the important
concepts associated with Strategic Management.
2. Students acquire a basic understanding of the application of Strategic
3. Students develop a basic understanding of methodologies used in identifying
and solving business problems.
4. Students develop a basic understanding in communicating recommendations.
5. Students develop business writing skills by writing a minimum of fifteen
pages and making revisions.
Attendance: Attendance is maintained and action taken according to school policy.
Grading System: 1. Final Exam (essays) 10%
2. Report #1 10%
3. Report #2 20%
4. Report #3 30%
5. Report #4 30%
Extra Credit 20%
? See policies for earning the extra credit.
Topic Form Comments
1. Final Exam Essays +Demonstrate an understanding
of important concepts and
2. Case Analysis Reports Memorandum +Solve actual business problems.
1. The final exam is optional. Students averaging a B or better for 90% of the grade (excluding the
extra credit) are credited with an “A” for the final exam.
2. The first report can be re-submitted for a better grade within one week of receiving the report back.
3. Each student is expected to write a minimum of 15 pages with an opportunity for revisions
on report #1 per item #2.
Format of Class
Class meetings encompass lectures, class discussions and in-class case analyses.
1. Case #1 = Wal-Mart 2005
2. Case #2 = Facebook
3. Case #3 = Meg Whitnman at eBay, Inc.
4. Case #4 = Bank One
Date (Week) Topic Assignment
Introduction/Course Overview/Handouts/SWOT Analysis I Ch. 1
SWOT Analysis II/Types of Strategy Ch. 2-3
Strategic Moves/Strategy Implementation Ch. 4-5
Action Plans/Stay on Course Ch. 6-7
People Side of Implementation/Strategy as Work in Progress Ch. 8-9
No Class Monday/Meet on 2/20/08
Sample Case Analysis/Review Handout on “Learning by the
Case Method”/Writing a Report/Practice Writing Handouts
Case #1: Wal-Mart Case
Case #2: Facebook Case
Report #1 Due
Case #3: eBay, Inc. Case
Report #2 Due
Re-write of Report #1 Due
eBay, Inc. Cont.
Case #4: Bank One Case
Report #3 Due
Bank One Cont.
Final Exam/Date TBD
Report #4 Due at Final