HLS301 LIVING SPACES AND SHELTER
CUMULATIVE ASSESSMENT ASSIGNMENT (30% OF FINAL MARK)
Imagine that you have been hired as an interior decorator to work with a
couple/individual. You are to complete the following:
1. You need to understand the people/person who will be living in the space
provided. In a detailed paragraph, describe “your client” (identify the sex,
age, wants and needs of each individual who will be living in the home).
2. Using a loft floor plan, explain how the plan meets the needs and wants of your
3. Create an IMAGE BOARD for the entire living space. What style or feelings
do the owners wish to create in this space? (contemporary, country, traditional).
Write a detailed explanation of how you will help them achieve this style,
including a description of the colour scheme.
4. Draw the FLOOR PLAN of your home using a ?” scale. Show doors,
windows and any storage space. Use furniture templates to show the location of
the furniture in the loft. (Furniture shown on floor plan should correspond to the
furniture in your descriptions).
5. Create a SAMPLE BOARD for one of the living areas in the loft. Choose
from the kitchen, bathroom, sleeping area, or dining area. You must include
samples of wall coverings, fabrics, pictures of furniture, accessories, window
coverings, etc. Explain how you have used various elements and principles of
design in your overall plan.
6. List the furniture and accessories (including lighting) for the entire living space.
Provide a cost list for the furniture and accessories that will be purchased.
(Assume everything will be purchased new).
Level Comments Case study ; Clearly indicates the owner’s lifestyle, needs
Design concept ; Clear and suites the needs of the owner
Image Board ; Suits the owner’s profile
; Displays knowledge of colour theory
; Explanation well expressed
Floor Plan ; To scale and neat
; Adheres to rules for furniture arrangement
; Suits the design concept and client profile
Sample Board ; Neat and clearly labeled
; Uses principles and elements of design
; Meets the needs of the owner
Furniture and accessories ; Listing is complete and costs of all items are
; Furniture and accessory choice reflects design
concept and budget
HAND THIS SHEET IN WITH YOUR PROJECT !!