1. Vocabulary and Structure
1) —I have never heard it __D______ before. And you?
—The same as you.
A) talking about B) talked of C) talking D) being talked of 2) My teacher was ___B_____ in her praise of any of my progress. A) active B) generous C) different D) general
3) I don’t know the restaurant, but it’s ___A_____ to be quite a good one.
A) said B) told C) spoken D) talked
4) If he ___A_____ so much money, he ________ work harder. A) didn’t have; would B) doesn’t have; would
C) didn’t have; will D) hasn’t had; would
5) You are _____D___ your time trying to persuade him; he’ll never help us.
A) spending B) missing C) losing D) wasting
6) He suddenly ____B____ that he had left his umbrella on the train. A) released B) realized C) refused D) repeated
7) The sportsmen _____D___ training for three hours when the coach told them to break off for
rest and supper.
A) have been B) were C) had D) had been
8) The teacher came into the classroom, __C______ a thick book in her hand. A) have B) to have C) having D) had
9) As he was _____A___ in the city, he often looks forward to a totally different country life.
A) brought up B) taken up C) got up D) kept up
10) He told me how excited ____B____ when he heard the news. A) was he B) he was C) he had been D) had he been
11) The region has plenty of coal resources ___D_____ lacks (缺少) enough water.
A) which B) as long as C) moreover D) while
12) Children may improve their speech by listening to other people talk, a fact may go
A) unnoticed B) not to be noticed C) not to notice D) being unnoticed
Directions: translate each of the following sentences from English to Chinese. 1) As is know to all, Beijing is the capital of China.
2) A great many changes have taken place in China since the policy of reform and opening to the
3) He is in the world a famous pop star.
4) In the world, the soccer football is the most popular sport.
5) I read the local newspapers with great interest every evening.
6) Abundant natural resources in the island are to be exploited and used. 岛上的丰富自然资料将被使用和利用。
7) I think she will change her mind tomorrow.
8) As was expected；he passed the exam easily.
Once there was a boy in Toronto. His name was Jimmy. He started drawing when he was three years old, and when he was five he was already very ___1_D__ at it. He drew many beautiful interesting pictures and many people ___2__A_ his pictures. They thought this boy was going to be ___3__C_ when he was a little older, and then they were going to ___4__D_ these pictures for a lot of money.
Jimmy's pictures were quite different from other ___5_B__ because he never drew on all of the paper. He drew on ___6__A_ of it, and the other half was always ___7_B__.
"That's very clever," everybody said. "___8_A__ other people have ever done that before."
One day somebody asked him, "Please tell me, Jimmy. Why do you draw on the bottom (底
部) half of your pictures, ___9__C_ not on the top half?"
"Because I'm small," Jimmy said, "and my brushes (毛笔) can't ___10_D__ very high."
1) A) poor B)sad C)glad D)good
2) A) bought B)brought C)sold D)took
3) A) different B)clever C)famous D)rich
4) A) buy B)show C)leave D)sell
5) A) men's B)people's C)boy's D)child's
6) A) half B)part C)side D)end
7) A) full B)empty C)wrong D)ready
8) A) No B)Some C)Any D)Many
9) A) then B)and C)but D)or
10) A) change B)turn C)pull D)reach
4. Reading Comprehension
By definition, heroes and heroines are men and women distinguished by uncommon courage, achievements, and self-sacrifice made most for the benefits of others-they are people against
whom we measure others. They are men and women recognized for shaping our nation’s consciousness and development as well as the lives of those who admire them. Yet, some people say that ours is an age where true heroes and heroines are hard to come by, where the very idea of heroism is something beyond us-an artifact of the past. Some maintain, that because the Cold War is over and because America is at peace, our age is essentially an unheroic one. Furthermore, the overall crime rate is down, poverty has been eased by a strong and growing economy, and advances continue to be made in medical science.
Cultural icons are hard to define, but we know them when we see them. They are people who manage to go beyond celebrity, who are legendary, who somehow manage to become mythic,. But what makes some figures icons and others mere celebrities? That’s hard to answer. In part, their lives have the quality of a story to tell. For instance, the beautiful young Diana Spencer who at 19 married a prince, renounced marriage and the throne, and died at the moment she found true love. Good looks certainly help. So does a special indefinable charm, with the help of the media. But nothing confirms an icon more than a tragic death—such as Martin Luther King, Jr., John F.
Kennedy, and Princess Diana.
1) The passage mainly deals with ____B____.
A. life and death B. heroes and heroines
C. heroes and icons D. icons and celebrities
2) Heroes and heroines are usually __D______.
A. courageous B. good examples to follow
C. self-sacrificing D. all of the above
3) Which of the following statements is wrong? D
A. Poverty in America has been eased with the economic growth
B. Superstars are famous for being famous
C. One’s look can contribute to being famous
D. Heroes and heroines can only emerge in war times
4) Beautiful young Diana Spencer found her genuine love ___C_____.
A. when she was 19 B. when she became a princess
C. just before her death D. after she gave birth to a prince
5) What is more likely to set an icon’s status? C
A. Good looks. B. Tragic and early death.
C. Personal attraction. D. The quality of one’s story.