Position description and selection documentation
Program Officer POSITION TITLE:
A-based First Secretary REPORTING TO:
March 2010 DATE:
Commencing at VT 3,385,548 per annum SALARY
This is a locally engaged role. Ni Vanuatu are strongly ELIGIBILITY
encouraged to apply. Non-citizens would be responsible for
obtaining permission to live and work in Vanuatu and any
AusAID manages Australia’s aid program in Vanuatu. The Post in Port Vila has a
particular responsibility to provide in-country leadership of the Australia’s overseas aid program to Vanuatu. The AusAID Post is headed by a Counsellor (Development)
and includes two First Secretaries posted from Canberra and nine locally engaged
staff. All staff in Port Vila work in a team based environment.
Program Officers play a key role in the office. AusAID seeks applications for a
Program Officer who will manage AusAID’s responsibilities relating to the delivery
of initiatives with a specific focus (but not exclusive) to law and justice, community
partnerships and support to non-government organisations. Australia’s support for the
law and justice sector (AUD8 million) and community partnerships (AUD2 million)
is an estimated 900 million Vatu (AUD10 million) this year. Portfolio responsibilities
may vary from time to time in response to changing work pressures/sector profiles,
but will focus on advancing efforts to better align AusAID’s support with Government of Vanuatu priorities, in line with the Paris Declaration on Aid
AusAID offers a dynamic and rewarding environment for self-motivated people with
strong project management, administrative and financial skills and experience. The
successful applicant will be able to pro-actively manage the requirements of the
position through effective administration (particularly financial management). He/she
will have excellent written and spoken English, and fluency in Bislama and French
would be an advantage. He/she will manage competing priorities to perform well
under pressure. He/she will also have excellent interpersonal and team skills, cultural
awareness and relationship-building skills.
It is an excellent career opportunity for a highly performing individual to join our
team. This is a challenging and rewarding role. It provides considerable scope for the
successful applicant to build their expertise in development across a broad portfolio,
as well as excellent conditions of service.
Program Management and financial administration
1. Undertake day-to-day financial management and administration of initiatives and
activities, including following guidelines in relation to AusAID’s financial
management system (Aidworks) and filing systems both paper and electronic. 2. Adhere to corporate requirements on financial, performance and risk management. 3. Develop and manage contracts with development partners including the
Government of Vanuatu, individual contractors and companies. This includes
negotiation; liaison; performance monitoring; seeking advice from Canberra
Office on technical and thematic areas and reporting to the Counsellor/First
Secretary on complex commercial or program matters, when required. 4. Access effective external (local and international) advice to support program
5. Periodic site visits to assess and report on progress.
6. Liaison and negotiation with officials of the Government of Vanuatu and other
development partners related to the assigned initiatives and activities. Policy and analysis
7. Participate in review, design, appraisal, and evaluation of initiatives and provide
technical, administrative and logistical support as appropriate. 8. Assist with implementation of commitments under the law and justice and
community partnerships portfolio.
9. Support the First Secretary in the formulation of policy related to the Australian
Communications and managing relationships
10. Prepare briefings, reports, media releases and other correspondence 11. Draft terms of reference and contracts to engage external assistance 12. Represent AusAID as required including at donor coordination meetings, official
events, project openings etc
13. Assist in supporting a whole-of-government approach to Australia’s development
partners including building effective relationships within the High Commission.
14. Maintain effective communication that enhances teamwork within area of
responsibility and between the Post (Port Vila) and the Desk (Canberra) by
understanding, anticipating and responding to the information needs of team
members, program staff in Canberra.
15. Contribute to the development of business, corporate planning and program
16. Ensure personal responsibility for achievement of outputs within defined resource
allocation by developing work plans in line with agreed Performance Planning
Reviews, responding flexibly to changes in priorities, providing and giving
feedback to enhance team and individual performance.
17. Uphold the highest standards in responding to the public and ensure a professional
presentation of AusAID and the Australian Government to the public 18. Other duties as required.
KEY SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / ATTRIBUTES:
1. Understanding of development, and/or sectoral issues that are a priority for
Australia’s overseas aid program to Vanuatu;
2. Proven ability in leadership and management of a complex work program in a
diverse team environment;
3. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently; 4. Proven high level administrative and program management experience in related
fields including ability to use computer packages (Microsoft Office); 5. Sound ability in analysis, formulation, implementation and review functions, as
appropriate to policy, program and/or resource management matters; 6. Highly effective written and oral communications skills in English. Fluency in
Bislama and/or French advantageous;
7. Effective and efficient time management, with proven ability to prioritize multiple
8. Well-developed organizational and diplomacy skills;
9. Appreciation of Equal Employment Opportunity principles;
The selection criteria will be used to assess the suitability of applicants for this
position. Please address the selection criteria in your written application
(Maximum 5 pages).
1. Strong program management and administrative skills, particularly the ability to
prepare and manage complex budgets, finances and contracts. 2. Excellent written and spoken English communication skills including the ability to
rapidly prepare reports, briefing, and other correspondence on complex issues.
Fluency in Bislama and/or French would be an advantage.
3. Demonstrated ability to use initiative, perform well under pressure and manage
4. Excellent interpersonal and team skills, cultural awareness, and ability to build
effective networks and relationships with key stakeholders, as well as an ability to
represent AusAID at meetings, official events, project openings etc.
Please note: All AusAID overseas-based employees demonstrate a commitment to the
AusAID Code of Conduct for Overseas-Based Employees, as well as to workplace
diversity, occupational health and safety and employee participation principles and
have appropriate cross-cultural sensitivities.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Applications for this position must be received by AusAID Port Vila by
12pm Monday 15 March 2010
Your application can be submitted in one of the following three ways:
1. in person at the Australian High Commission
2. by mail, addressed to:
AusAID Office (For Program Officer position)
Australian High Commission
PO Box 111
3. by email to email@example.com
Your application must include:
? A cover letter to AusAID that includes written responses to each of the five
Selection Criteria listed above. It should not exceed five pages. Applicants
should use this letter to explain (including specific examples) how their
experience, skills, knowledge and personal qualities enable them to meet each
of the Selection Criteria.
? A copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV) including names and contact
details of two referees.