IELTS Spoken Real TestIELTS Spoken Real TestIELTS Spoken Real Test
Part 2 Topic Card
1. Describe a museum
1) How often do you visit the museum?
2) Which type of museum is popular in your country? 3) Why do you want to visit the museum?
; What do you think of the importance of museums in history?
; How do you think of the heritage of a country?
; Compare the museums nowadays and in the past
2. Describe your favorite photograph
1) Where was the photo taken?
2) Who took the photo?
3) What can be seen from the photo?
4) Explain why it is the favorite photograph for you.
; How to take good photo?
; When do people use camera?
; How can the new technology put cinema’s skill advanced?
3. The important historic place
1) What is the place?
2) Where is it located?
3) Why do you think it is important?
; What do you think of the historic place in the future?
; Will the government increase or decrease the safety guard?
; What are the changes to the local people and economy?
; What is the impact on the historic place by tourists?
4. Describe a party
1) What is the party?
2) Why was the party held?
3) Who attended the party?
4) What did you do for that party?
; What’s the difference between serious party and friendly party?
; Why are some people late for parties intentionally?
; Why do some people like party while others hate it?
; What would you do if the guests feel bored?
; Will there be more and more people to attend parties?
5. Describe a subject taught in your school?
1) Who teaches it?
2) How is it taught?
3) What do you learn from the class?
; Is there any difference between the traditional and modern educational systems?
; What are the pros and cons of the current educational system in your country?
; Do you think it is necessary to give comment or criticism to teachers?
6. What is the important invention before the age of computer?
1) What is the invention?
2) Why do you think it is very important?
3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of the invention?
; What is the significant impact of modern inventions on life?
; Which skills do you want to study in the future?
; Do you think it’s necessary to develop modern invention in the countryside?
7. Describe a foreign country you have never been to
1) Where is the country?
2) When will you go there?
3) Why would you like to go there?
; Say something about the tourism development in China, facility, services and the effect
; What is the importance of travel and tourism industry?
; What do you think the function of tourist guides?
8. Describe your favourite movie
1) What’s the name of the film?
2) What’s the theme of the film?
3) Why do you like it?
; Describe a type pf movie you like.
; What’s the difference between Chinese and American movies?
; What do you think of the violent films (Hollywood films)?
; Why movies need computer techniques? Any example of movie using computer
; Which parts of cinema are the most important and how to improve it?
9. Describe a newspaper or magazine
1) What’s your habit for reading?
2) What are the benefits of reading?
3) What's the main difference between newspaper and magazine?
; What do you think the important qualities for a news reporter?
; What’s the function of a report to the society?
; What kinds of books/newspapers/magazines do Chinese adolescents read?
; With the popularity of Internet, do you think newspapers and magazines will disappear?
10. Describe a children’s game (sports not suggested)
1) How is it played?
2) What can you learn from the game?
3) What impact does it bring on your growth?
; What do you think of the benefits of children’s games?
; Nowadays children have less and less time for game, what do you think about it?
; What do you think the difference between games nowadays and in the past?
; What’s the negative aspect of games?
11. Describe a happy event in your life?
1) When did it happen?
2) Where did it happen?
3) What was it?
; Tell me how you organize your study time?
; What do you think is important in achieving happiness?
; How do Chinese celebrate some happy events?
; What do the camera and video play in celebrating?
12. Describe a thing which is important to you
1) Who gave it to you?
2) What is the thing?
3) What does the thing mean to you?
; What are the changes of city between now and past?
; Does money represent happiness and why?
; How do you regard as the things people want to earn?
13. Describe one of your neighbours
1) When did you become neighbours?
2) Do you often meet?
3) State whether your neighbour is a good one
; What is the difference between neighbours and friends?
; Why do people like to watch TV serials in their houses?
; How do you think of the relationship in the city?
; How to improve the neighbourhood?
14. Describe one of the shopping centers you often go to
1) Where is the shopping center?
2) How often do you go to the center?
3) Why do you often go to it and its characteristics?
; Will smaller shops survive in the current business system?
; What are the characteristics of shopping malls and smaller shops and their difference?
; What is the trend of future shopping centers?
; Talk about Internet shopping
15. Describe your favourite animal
1) What kind of animal is it?
2) Describe it briefly
3) Why do you like the animal?
; What do you need to do to take care of it?
; What’s the future trend of the animal?
; How do you think of the poaching of some precious animals such as pandas?
16. Describe a historical place
1) What is the place?
2) Where is it located?
3) What is the historical meaning of the place?
; What do you think of the future trend of historic places?
; Will government strengthen its protection toward historic places?
; What are the changes brought about by the historic place in local economy, people, etc?
; What is the effect of tourists on the place?
1) What are the forms of advertisement?
2) What are the functions of advertisement?
3) What is the effect of advertisement to people?
; Do you feel bored and disgusted about advertisement?
; What do you think are the criteria of assessing a good piece of advertisement?
; What will happen if unauthoritative advertisements prevail in the market?
18. Describe an important letter
1) When did you receive the letter? 2) From whom did you receive the letter? 3) Explain the reasons why it is important Follow-up: ; What is the significance of handwriting? ; Does your country have handwriting lesson now? ; Compare the handwriting now and past ; With the popularity of computers and Internet, will people lose their ability to write letters?
19. Describe the best present you have received 1) Who sent it to you? 2) When did you receive it? 3) Detailed information about the present Follow-up: ; Do you think that present giving will play an important role in Chinese daily life? Why? ; Do you think that the brand name is very important for sales? ; In terms of the media, which do you think will play a main role in present giving,
television, newspaper or Internet?
20. Describe your holidays 1) Where do you go for the holidays and how long do them last? 2) Who do you go with? 3) Talk about any interesting thins happening during your holidays Follow-up: ; What do the Chinese people mostly do in their leisure time? ; What's the difference between holidays today and 5 years ago and the reasons for the
change? ; Do you think people will spend more time on leisure or working in the future?
Suggested questions for stage 1
1. Could you show me your identification card please? 2. Could you tell me your full name please? 3. What shall I call you?
4. Does your name have any special meaning? 5. Why do so many people change their names? 6. Is your name important to you?
Hometown or birth place
1. Where do you come from?
2. Where do you live?
3. Can you tell me something about your hometown? 4. Can you tell me some famous landscapes or scenic spots in your hometown?
5. Can you tell me some history of your hometown?
Personal background and information
1. Are you a student or do you have a job? 2. What do you like most about your study? 3. What kind of job do you prefer after graduation? 4. What is your major?
5. What do you do for living?
6. Could you tell me a typical day of yours? 7. How do you get your job?
8. Are you satisfied with your job?
9. What do you like most about your job? 10. What kind of job do you prefer in the future?
Hobby or inclination
1. What do you usually do in your spare time? 2. Do you prefer to stay alone or with your friends? 3. What do you usually do on weekends and weekdays? 4. What do you usually do when you go out? 5. What do you usually do with your friends? 6. Do you like reading?
7. What kind of books do you like best?
8. Do you like English? Why or why not?
9. What do you think of the importance of English?
10. What are good hobbies and bad hobbies? Why?
1. Why do you take the IELTS test?
2. What are you planning to do in the next five years?
3. What are you planning to do in the next ten years?
4. What is the first thing you will do when you arrive at the new place?
Suggested stage 2 questions most frequently asked in stage 1
Do you like traveling?
Do you like travel alone or with your friends?
Have you traveled to other places? Where are they?
What do you usually do when you first arrive in a new place? What are the benefits of traveling?
Why do so many people like traveling nowadays?
Do you have many friends? Are they casual acquaintances or close friends? Do you prefer to stay with your family or with your friends? Do you prefer one or two close friends or many friends? Can you talk about your best friend?
How to make friends?
What do you usually do with your friends?
Is the time you spend with your friends as much as that you spend with your family?
Do you like music?
What are the benefits of listening to music?
What kind of music do you like best?
Why do you like this kind of music?
Can you say something about the transportation in your hometown? What is the common means of transport in your country?
Do traffic jams often occur in your hometown or in the city where you live? How to solve the problem?
What changes in transportation have taken place in the past several years in your country?
Can you tell me an interesting building in your hometown? Can you tell me an interesting building in Guangzhou?
Suggested topics in stage 2 & related questions for stage 3
Category 1: Describing things (1 test item)
1. Describing a piece of equipment you often use at home or at work. You should say, What is it ?
What you do with it/ How to use it?
How long you have had it?
How important it is to you?
1. What are the impacts of electrical equipment on human’s life in the past ten years?
2. What are the differences of the life in the past and at the present? 3. What role does technological development play in people’s life?
4. How will technology develop in the future?
5. Do you have a mobile phone? What are its advantages?
6. Why do many foreign countries develop faster than China? 7. Why does the China’s West develop faster than China’s East?
8. What are the advantages and disadvantages of computer and internet?
Category 2: Describing people (3 test items)
1. Describe a well-known person. You should say,
Who he/she is?
What makes him/her famous?
Why you admire him/her?
1. Do you want to become famous?
2. How to become a well-known person in China?
3. What kind of people can become famous in China?
4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being famous? 5. What do you think of the privacy of a well-known person? 6. What do you think of the relationship between a well-know person and advertising? 7. Would you be influenced by the well-known persons in TV commercials? 8. Do you often talk about singers with your friends? What do you often talk about?
2. Describing a friend in your school time/ you like most. You should say, Who he/she is?
When did you became friends?
Why do you like him/her or why do you think that he/she is important to you? How he/she influences you.
1. What are the differences between adults and children in terms of making friends? 2. Can adults make friends with children?
3. What do you think are the most important factors when making friends? 4. What are the possible factors that cause the break-up of friendship?