Unit Two Emails
I. Periods : Total Periods: 8
Period1-2 Section ? Passage1
Period3-4 Section ? Passage2 Section ?
Period5-6 Section ?. Section?
Period7-8 Test Yourself / Topic Test II. Content:
?Intensive Reading -- Passage1
?Extensive Reading-- Passage2 ; Writing --
?Listening & Speaking – Dialogues
?Test Yourself / Topic Test ( Demonstration )
III. Aims and Demands:
1. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Internet.
2. Know about the abbreviations and slang in communicating online.
3. Master some useful words & expressions. Grasp the noun clauses
VI. Main & Hard Points:
?Main Points: the useful expressions & sentence patterns . ?Hard Points: Discussion
V. Teaching Methods: Interactions; Listening & Speaking VI. Teaching Tool: Multimedia classroom
VII. Teaching Steps:
Session1. Passage 1 Periods: 2
Aims and Demands:
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the Internet. Main & Hard Points:
1) words and expressions
share, conduct, claim, merge, respective, available, communicate with sb.,
log on the Internet, for sale, on sale, at one’s own convenience, have access to 2) comprehension of the passage
Task-based teaching; Interactions; Listening
1) Do you usually log onto the Internet?
2) What do you usually do on the Internet?
3) How do you get access to the Internet?
?. Intensive Study
1.Questions for Group Discussion
1) What can people do on the World Wide Web?
2) How many Americans log onto the Internet every day according to the
3) What is the e-Bay?
4) What are the advantages of email mentioned in this passage? 5) What are the disadvantages of the Internet according to the passage?
6) How do you understand the term “digital divide”?
7) Who has contributed a lot to the Internet growth in America according to the
8) What has improved the speed of the Internet?
2. Analysis of the Text
Division Main idea
Part 1: Introduction to the Internet
Advantages of the Internet in people’s current life Part 2:
Part 3: Disadvantages of the Internet
(Para 7-8 )
Part 4: Further development of the Internet in the future (Para 9-15)
Complete the outline by filling in the blanks in the table below.
It can make people
1.receive constant flow of ___news___
Functions of 2. shop online at their own
the Internet 3. communicate with others at a
4.free in doing __business___
Disadvantages 1.People’s privacy may be easily ___made known__ easily
of the Internet 2.People’s identities lack __protection __
3. Word Study
1) share v. divide and distribute 分享
The four students share one bedroom in the dorm. conduct v. handle, undertake, transact, guide实施?处理?进行?引导?传导conduct business/experiments
conduct a survey/negotiation
e.g. The experiments were conducted by scientists in New York.
Iron conducts electricity but plastic doesn’t.
3) communicate with sb.: share or change opinion with sb. More and more people communicate with each other on the Internet in modern
4) log on the Internet: gain access to the Internet, get online
Do you log on the Internet in your spare time?
5) claim: declare to be true, state
He claims that he has a strong memory, but I don’t believe him.
6) for sale: available to be bought, esp. by a private owner待售
Do you have any pictures for sale?
on sale: offered to be sold, esp. with a discount上市?廉价出售
Will the new product be on sale next month?
7) merge v. (of business companies) cause to become one合并, 并入, 结合, 吞
The two companies merged to in order to fight for competition . 8) at one’s convenience: at a time that is most convenient for one
We may arrange the meeting at your convenience.
9) have access to: succeed in getting into有权---?有机会---
Students should have easy access to the books in the library. 10) respective a. belonging to each of those in question分别的, 各自的
When the meeting had finished, they returned to their respective homes. 11) available: able to be obtained 能得到
I am sorry, sir, those shoes are not available in your size. 4. Sentence Structure
1) In ten years, the World Wide Web has become a powerful new medium for sharing information, conducting business and communicating with people across the room or across the World. ( Para. 1)
Analysis: In ten years implies in the ten years just past, and the main verb of the sentence usually takes present perfect tense.
Example: In just ten years, the video phone has become a powerful medium for sharing information and communicating with people. 2) These benefits, however, have not come without a price. (Para. 7)
Analysis: Here not...without is a double negative structure.
Thank you so much for your help --- I couldn’t have done it without Example:
3) And as with most innovations, those who have less money and receive less education in American society have had much less access to the Web and its respective benefits, creating what some call a “digital divide.” (Para. 8)
Analysis: As with means in the same way as; have access to means have the possibility of approaching, have the right to use or look at. Example: As with his early movies, the special effects in his latest film are brilliant. The tax inspector had complete access to the company files.
5. Assignment for this session Do Exercises 4-6
Session2. Passage 2; Applied Writing?
Content: Passage 2 & Writing
Aims and Demands:
1) Discuss the characteristics of chatting on line and the danger of chatting on line.
2) Learn how to write an email and give a reply.
Main & Hard Points:
1) Words and expressions
pros, cons, chat, effect, potential, popular, common, allowance, anonymity, come to a conclusion, be addicted to, point out, in terms of 2) Comprehension of the passage
Task-based teaching; Interactions; Listening
Passage 2 Pros & Cons of the Chattingroom ? Warm-up
1) Have you ever chatted online?
2) What’s your opinion of chatting online?
3) Do you think it good to make friends online?
? Intensive Study
1. Questions for Group Discussion
1) What did the author think of the chat-room at first? 2) What conclusion did the author make afterwards about the chat-room? 3) What other advantages does the chat-room have?
4) Do you think chatting on the Internet is a way to make new friends? Why do you/don’t you think so?
5) What other disadvantages does chatting online have?
2. Word Study
1) Pros n. an advantage or a reason for doing something 赞成的立场?正面的理
Cons n. a disadvantage or a reason for not doing something 反对的立场?反面
We considered all the pros and cons very carefully before deciding to buy a bigger house.
You must weigh up all the pros and cons of the matter before you make a decision.
2) chat v. talk in an informal and friendly way, especially about things that are not serious or important 闲谈
You can’t sit here chatting all morning.
3) effect: result that can have an influence结果?影响
e.g: One of the effects of bad weather is poor crops. take effect: come into operation, start to have results产生影响?有结果
e.g. The new tax system will take effect next May.
in effect: into operation生效
e.g. The rule will come into effect on Monday.
4) come to a conclusion: make a judgment or decision
similar phrases: draw /reach a conclusion; arrive at a conclusion What conclusion did you come to/ reach/ arrive at?
5) potential: possibility for developing or being developed
He has made a new invention with a big sales potential. 6) popular: favored by many people
The professor is very popular with her students.
7) common: found or happening often or in many places, usual普通的?共同的
e.g. He expressed sympathy for the common people.
in common: in shared possession分享?共同拥有
e.g. Real friends should have everything in common with each other.
The swimming pool is used in common by all the children in the neighborhood.
8) be addicted to: dependent on, unable to stop taking上瘾
Many children are addicted to television.
Peter is addicted to smoking now although he is only a teenager. 9) point out: draw attention to 指出?指明?提醒
May I point out that if we don’t leave now we’ll miss the bus?
10) allowance : n. the taking into consideration of facts that may change something, esp. an opinion考虑到
We should make allowance for bad weather and have plenty of umbrellas available.
You should make allowances for him----he has been quite ill recently. 11) in terms of: as regards在---方面
These events are not to be explained in terms of what happened last week. It has been a terrible year in terms of business.
12) anonymity n. the condition of being anonymous 匿名
e.g.: The police have reassured witnesses who may be afraid to come forward that they will be guaranteed anonymity.
anonymous a. (of a person) with name unknown, (of a piece of writing) without the writer’s name 匿名的
e.g.; Police said an anonymous caller warned just after midnight yesterday that a bomb was about to go off.
3. Sentence Structure
1) The Internet chartroom is a new and popular forum in which to meet new friends from around the world. (Para. 2)
In which refers to in a new and popular forum. Notice that which here Analysis:
is introducing an infinitive rather than a relative clause.
Example: The speed at which to solve a problem depends on the speed at
which the operator can work.
2) However, as we mature sometimes we must make compromises in terms of who we are, so that we can form and maintain sensible relationships. (Para. 4)
Analysis: As here introduces an adverbial clause of time. In terms of here is used to make clear in which particular aspects compromises should be made. So that introduces a clause of result.
Example: He becomes more attractive as he gets older.
A 200-year-old building is very old in terms of American history.
3) The ability to remain anonymous leads to a kind of cheating as lying about personal identity is perfectly acceptable and considered normal in chartrooms. (Para. 5)
Analysis: As introduces a clause of reason, meaning because.
Example: As it was getting later, I decided to go back to the hotel.
4) I think there is the danger of people who love the honesty and freedom of Internet chartrooms so much that they decide to withdraw from society. (Para. 6)
Analysis: Who introduces a relative clause modifying people. So here means
to such a degree, with that introducing a clause of result. Example: I’m so tired that I could sleep in this chair.
That soup was so filling that I don’t think I’ll want a main course.
4. Assignment for this session
Do Exercises 7
1. Format Analysis
An email usually consists of the following parts: 1) The writer’s email address, such as
2) Date, usually with the time shown
3) The receiver’s email address, such as“To firstname.lastname@example.org”
4) Subject: In this part you have to indicate what topic you want to talk about in the email, such as“Greeting from„”or“Request from „”or“Re:„”), etc.
5) Attachment: You may attach some files or documents in the email. You may identify it like “Li Qiang’s Paper”--- (40.1KB)
6) Body of the email: In this part you may write your message, but not so formal as a letter.
7) End of the email: You’d better identify yourself if the receiver is not familiar with you.
2. Language features
The sentences often used to write an email message. 1) I have got your email on …
2) Thank you very much for your email in which you inform me …
3) I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to provide …
4) I hope that you will consider my application and arrange me an interview. 5) We’ll be looking forward to seeing you here in China.
6) Many thanks and best regards.
Date: 2007/10/4 14:36
Caihong has picked up your Yahoo! Greeting Subject:
The Yahoo! Greeting that you sent to Caihong ( email@example.com ) on
October 03, 2007 has been picked up!
If you’d like to send another greeting, you can do so at http://greetings.yahoo.com.
You can view the greeting that you sent to Caihong at http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/greet/view
Thanks for using Yahoo! Greetings!
The Yahoo! Greetings Team
4. Simulate and Create Do exercises 2-3 (P32)
Step 4. Grammar --Noun Clauses
Noun clauses refer to the clauses which are used as nouns in complex sentences. They include subject clauses, object clauses, predicative clauses and
appositive clauses. They are usually introduced by the following conjunctions:
b) if, whether
c) who, whom, whose, what, when, where, why, how, how many, how much, how far, how soon, how long, how often, how old, how, etc. 1) 同位语从句?
? 可以用于同位语从句的名词有 fact, hope, idea doubt, information, news, order, advice等。
例如? The news that China has joined the WTO is exciting. ? 同位语从句通常由that 引导?但还可以用how, when , where, why 等引导。
例如?We have no idea when he will come to the school. ? 在同位语从名中? 如同位语为表示“命令?建议?要求”的名词?如advice, demand,
decision, wish, order, plan, request, suggestion, recommendation等?则须用虚