Important Questions and Answers for UC Employees about AFSCME

By Earl Hernandez,2014-08-29 00:35
8 views 0
Important Questions and Answers for UC Employees about AFSCME

     Questions and Answers Regarding UC/AFSCME Negotiations

    and the AFSCME PCT strike vote

     May 2008

    Important questions and answers for UC employees regarding UC/AFSCME negotiations and the patient care technical strike votes scheduled from May 17-22, 2008. AFSCME, the union representing UC’s patient care technical employees, has announced a

    series of strike votes, scheduled from May 17-22, 2008. It is critical that all employees,

    including patient care technical employees, understand the implications of such an action so they can make an informed choice about whether to consider voting for or participating in this strike. Below are answers to some important questions.

Q. What is the UC currently offering in terms of pay increases?

    A. UC’s is offering significant market-based salary increases that will help recruit and retain

    qualified patient care technical employees to all UC medical facilities. UC proposed

    salary increases between 4-15% and movement to a step based pay structure, which

    would bring the salaries of patient care employees to market competitive levels. More

    information about location-specific wage increases will be available at

Q. What will UC do if patient care technical employees strike?

    A. If any employee does not report to work as assigned, the University will presume -

    absent medical certification - that her/his absence from work during a declared strike

    period is strike related.

    Authorization for an absence from work (e.g., vacation leave) may or may not be granted,

    depending on operational necessity and without regard to the employee’s reason for the

    requested leave.

    Employees who are absent from work without authorization during a strike will not be

    paid for the absence and may face the possibility of disciplinary action for cause

    depending on the facts and circumstances (e.g., applicable contract language,

    misconduct, prior notice(s), prior disciplinary history).

    Q. If a strike is called, does that mean I will not be able to come to work? A. No. Under the labor laws, you are free to make up your own minds about crossing a

    picket line and continuing to work.

    Q. If I'm a dues-paying member of the union, am I obligated to participate in the strike?

    Can I be penalized for not striking?

    A. No employee is ever under any obligation to strike. Unions are legally prohibited from

    threatening or coercing members in other ways to keep them from coming to work.

    However, some unions have the right to levy fines against members, but not non-

    members, who choose to work during a strike, including a sympathy strike. A union

    member who does not wish to strike needs to contact her/his local union representative

    regarding possible penalties for not striking. The University will not deduct union fines

    from employees’ paychecks.

    Q. What should I do if I want to work but I am being blocked from doing so or I'm

    confronted by picketers or striking workers?

    A. Pickets are lawful so long as they are peaceful, conducted only on public property (i.e.,

    sidewalks), do not block access to the facility, do not interfere with the normal course of

    business, and do not prohibit non-striking employees from working.

    The University will assist employees who want to work by providing security or

    transportation across the picket lines.

    In addition, non-striking employees should avoid confrontations and need not respond to

    any comments that picketers may direct at them. Non-striking employees should not

    invite or engage in any exchanges, which might inflame the situation.

    If an employee feels s/he is being harassed or prevented from working by picketers or

    striking employees, the employee should notify their supervisor or campus Labor

    Relations office.

Q. If I come to work, what pay and benefits will I receive?

    A. If you come to work, you will receive the same compensation and benefits as you did

    before the work stoppage.

    Q. If I don't come to work as a result of an AFSMCE strike, will I continue to receive

    my pay and benefits, and may I use compensatory time or vacation for the time

    that I miss?

    A. Employees will not be paid for time lost due to participating in a strike. Employees who

    participate in a strike will not be allowed to use compensatory time or vacation leave to

    make up for the pay they lose because of striking. Benefits that are affected by the

    percentage of time worked during the month may be affected.

    Q. Am I permitted to talk to my supervisor or unit manager about any of this? A. Absolutely. Your manager is another resource for answers and information.

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email