CHAPTER 27: EMPIRE AND EXPANSION
America Turns Outward
Know: Josiah Strong, Alfred Mahan, Richard Olney, British Guiana, Great Rapprochement 1. What factors caused America to turn its attention to the world beyond her borders?
Spurning the Hawaiian Pear
Know: Queen Liliuokalani
2. Why did President Cleveland not want to annex Hawaii?
Cubans Rise in Revolt
Know: General Valeriano Weyler
3. What was happening in Cuba that caused Americans to be concerned?
Dewey's May Day Victory at Manila
Know: Teddy Roosevelt, George Dewey
4. Why did Commodore Dewey have such an easy victory over the Spanish fleet at the Philippines?
The Confused Invasion of Cuba
Know: Rough Riders, Teddy Roosevelt, San Juan Hill
5. Describe the fighting in Cuba.
America's Course (Curse?) of Empire
Know: Anti-Imperialist League
6. What were the arguments for and against the annexation of the Philippines?
Makers of America: The Puerto Ricans
7. How has U.S. citizenship caused Puerto Ricans to be different from other immigrants?
Perplexities in Puerto Rico and Cuba
Know: Insular Cases, General Leonard Wood, Walter Reed, Platt Amendment, Guantanamo 8. Describe American treatment of Cuba after the Spanish-American War.
New Horizons in Two Hemispheres
9. What were the outcomes of the Spanish-American War?
"Little Brown Brothers" in the Philippines
Know: William Howard Taft, Benevolent Assimilation
10. In what way do the Philippines show the good and bad sides of American imperialism?
Hinging the Open Door in China
Know: Open Door notes, Boxer Rebellion
11. Was American involvement in China beneficial to China?
Makers of America: The Filipinos
12. Were Filipino immigrants welcomed with open arms in America? Explain.
Imperialism or Bryanism in 1900?
13. What issues were important in the 1900 election?
TR: Brandisher of the Big Stick
Know: big-stick diplomacy, Bully Pulpit
14. Give evidence to show that Teddy Roosevelt was an unconventional president?
Ch. 27 p.2
Building the Panama Canal
Know: Hay-Pauncefote Treaty, Philippe Bunau-Varilla, George Washington Goethals, William C. Gorgas 15. Why was the Panama route chosen for the canal?
TR's Perversion of Monroe's Doctrine
Know: Roosevelt Corollary, Dominican Republic, Bad Neighbor
16. Explain the similarities and differences between the Monroe Doctrine and the Roosevelt Corollary?
Roosevelt on the World Stage
Know: Russo-Japanese War, Portsmouth Conference
17. How did Teddy Roosevelt win the Nobel Peace Prize?
Japanese Laborers in California
Know: Gentlemen’s Agreement, Great White Fleet
18. How did a school board in California act in a way that first hurt and then helped American-Japanese
Varying Viewpoints: Why did America Become a World Power?
19. What caused America's foray into imperialism? Defend your opinion.
James G. Blaine, Dupuy de Lóme, Emilio Aguinaldo, John Hay, reconcentration, jingoism, imperialism, guerrilla warfare, spheres of influence, “yellow peril,” Pan-American Conference, Maine, Teller Amendment, Treaty of
Paris, Foraker Act, Philippine insurrection, Clayton-Bulwer Treaty, Hay-Bunau-Varilla Treaty, Panama Canal