Professor P RAMESHAN
1. Nationality: Indian
2. Current Position: PROFESSOR, Strategic Management, IIM Kozhikode
3. Address Indian Institute of Management (I.I.M) Kozhikode,
I.I.M Campus P.O., Kozhikode – 673 570 India
Phone: (+91-495) 280 9111 (Office)
4. Organizational/Academic Affiliation
Institution Period Nature of Position I.I.M Kozhikode Feb. 27, 2009 – Director In-
April 16, 2009 charge
Full Time Faculty I.I.M Kozhikode April 2002 - To Date
Lulea University of Technology, April - May, 2007 Visiting Faculty Sweden
Asian Institute of Technology, August - October, Visiting Faculty Bangkok 2005 (Secondment)
Full Time Faculty I.I.M Lucknow August 1997 –
National Institute of Bank August 1997 Full Time Faculty Management, Pune
Gokhale Institute of Politics & November 1994 – Full Time Faculty Economics, Pune July 1997
Jawaharlal Nehru College, Pasighat July 1992 – Full Time Faculty (Government of Arunachal Pradesh) October 1994
5. Educational Qualifications
Qualification Institution Distinction Completion
1992 Ph.D. I.I.T Kharagpur
(With full Fellowship)
University Grants Lone qualifier in 1988 1988 JRF
Commission India in Economics from
University of Calicut 1988 M.A. I Class & University
(Received National Merit Second Topper
University of Calicut 1986 B.A I Class &
University Topper (Born on April Fifteenth, Nineteen Sixty Three)
6. Administrative Experiences
Position Institution Period Key Responsibilities Director In-Charge IIM Kozhikode February 27, 2009 Responsibilities of Director
– April 16, 2009
Member of Board of IIM Kozhikode May 2007- Participation in Policy Governors April 2009 Decision Making Founding FPM IIM Kozhikode October 2006 – Designing FPM Structure Chairman March 2008 Setting up FPM Operations
Admitting First Batch Chairman, IIM Kozhikode 2006-07 Running Exchange
International Programme; New Exchange Programme Agreements Chairman, Research & IIM Kozhikode 2005-06 Promoting Research External Linkages
Chairman, IIM Kozhikode 2002-05 Setting up CAT structure at
Admissions IIM Kozhikode; CAT Group (Began IIM-K‟s activities; Organizing CAT Participation in at IIM Kozhikode Centres; Conducting CAT) Organising GD & Interviews Chairman, Strategic IIM Kozhikode 2004-07 Coordinating Strategic Management Area Management Area activities Coordinator, IIM Kozhikode Since 2003 Coordinating WTO research; WTO Research Centre Developing the WTO Centre
Conferences; Publications Chairman/Member, IIM Kozhikode Multiple Times Facilitating competitive Appeals/Interior during 2004-09 vendor selection; assisting in
Design/Catering/Staff implementation. Confirmation
Chairman, Business IIM Lucknow 2000-2001 Coordinating area activities Environment Area
Member of Several IIM Kozhikode 1998-2008 Support in activities of PGP, Committees IIM Lucknow MDP, IDL programme etc Hostel Warden, J.N College At various Value-based approach in Rover Leader, Pasighat, Arunachal times during 1992-running the activities In-charge of Merit list Pradesh 1994
President of student IIT Kharagpur 1991 Leading role in managing
hostel hostel activities Secretary, Economic Department of 1987-88 Organizing academic events Association Economics,
University of Calicut
7. Foreign Opportunities/Assignment/Recognition
(i) Selected as the National Expert, India, by Asian Productivity Organisation, Tokyo,
to conduct the Indian part of “Survey on Total Factor Productivity” on Asian
countries (2001-2002). Represented India in the National Experts‟ meeting of
participating countries in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, in 2001 & again in 2002.
(ii) Visiting faculty to Lulea University of Technology, Lulea, Sweden, Division of
Economics, during April-May 2007, under the Linnaeues-Palme Exchange
Programme funded by Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency.
(iii)Visiting Associate Professor to Asian Institute of Technology Bangkok, Thailand,
during August-October 2005. Deputation by Ministry of Human Resource
Development, Government of India.
(iv) In 1994, a Post-Doctoral Research opportunity was arranged at University of
Minnesota (USA), by Dr Edward C Prescott (2004 Economics Nobel Laureate). But,
I could not join as my then employer in India could not agree to grant necessary leave.
(v) In 1992, Prof Daniel Levinthal, Wharton School of Business, University of
Pennsylvania, USA, had given an excellent evaluation report on my Ph.D. thesis.
(vi) Represented the Director, IIM Kozhikode, as Panelist in the Pan-IIM Alumni Gulf
Summit, May 23, 2009, in Dubai.
8. Institution Building Role: Key Achievements
(a) Proactive leadership as Director In-charge during March-April 2009 in organizing
Convocation and in addressing student issues, PGP intake, faculty issues, recruitment
(b) Leadership role during 2002-04 in setting up systems & manuals at IIM Kozhikode
for conducting Post-Graduate Programme admission test (CAT) at centres under the
(c) Leadership role during 2006-08 in setting up systems & manuals for launching the
first Doctoral Programme of IIM Kozhikode, the Fellow Programme in Management
(launched in 2007-08).
(d) Leadership role during 2007-08 in designing at IIM Kozhikode a 6-month Interactive
Distance Learning Programme in Strategic Management for working executives.
(e) Crucial role in the policy decision making process of IIM Kozhikode in various
(f) Crucial role in rationalizing the cost of many important purchase contracts (as part of
relevant committees as Chairman or Member).
9. Peer/Professional Recognition
1) Represented the Director, IIM Kozhikode, in the Directors‟ Panel Discussion at the first
Pan-IIM Alumni Gulf Summit in Dubai on May 23, 2009
2) Joint Secretary (2 Years), Strategic Management Forum of India
3) Track Chair for Management, International Conference in Business 2006: Revolution for
the New Era Competition, University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC), 7-8
December, 2006, Bangkok, Thailand
4) Reviewer for management journals of I.I.M Bangalore & I.I.M Lucknow
5) Reviewer of the section „Strategic Management in Asia Pacific‟ for The Handbook of
Technology Management, to be published in USA by John Wiley & Sons.
10. PUBLICATIONS: (See link for List of Publications)
11. Executive Training Programmes: Co-ordination/Sessions (a) Coordination & sessions, NHPC Ltd. Programme, „Managing Change‟ for Senior Level
(b) Sessions in Strategic Management, General Management Programme for NTPC Executives.
(c) Sole Trainer, Module on „Business Strategy‟ for Aker Solutions, SCMHRD, Pune, India
(d) Coordination (joint) & sessions, 2-Week middle level Indian Administrative Service
Officers’ Training Programme (Every year during 1998-2002)
(e) Coordination (joint) & sessions, Strategic Management Forum of India Management
Teachers‟ Programme in Strategic Management (repeat programmes)
(f) Coordination (joint) & sessions, Indian Police Service Senior Officers’ Vertical
Interaction Programme, „Public Order Management in Emerging Environment‟, Sponsored
by Bureau of Police Research & Development, Government of India
(g) Coordination (joint) & sessions, Indian Ordnance Factory Services (IOFS) Programme,
„General Management module for IOFS Probationary Officers‟
(h) Coordination (joint) & sessions, National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
Programme, „Foundation in General Management for Middle Level Executives‟
(i) Coordination & main trainer, “Futuristic Management”, training programme for senior
executives Hindustan Latex Limited, Trivandrum, India
(j) Sole trainer, “Strategic Direction & Change Management”, training programme for top level
executives, Catholic Syrian Bank, Trichur, India
(k) Sole trainer, “Competitive Intelligence”, training programme for industry executives (l) Coordination & sessions: “Enhancing Corporate Productivity for Competitiveness”
(m) Coordination & sessions: “WTO System & Corporate Competitive Strategies”
1) For open market
2) For small-scale entrepreneurs, with sponsorship of Small Industrial Development Bank
3) For entrepreneurs, with sponsorship of Kerala State Industrial Development
(n) Module on Business Strategy, software project executives of NEC Japan
(o) Sessions in several Other Training Programmes
12. Project Work Completed
1) Project Coordinator: Cochin International Airport Limited: „V.J Kurian & the CIAL Saga‟,
Case Study sponsored by BASF Limited (German Chemical MNC), India, 2006-07. IIM
2) Project Coordinator: “Establishing A Centre for Strategic Research & Information Network
on India‟s Global Competitiveness & WTO System”, funded by Ministry of Human
Resource Development, Government of India, 2003-07. IIM Kozhikode (India).
3) Project Coordinator (joint) (part): “State Development Report Kerala (India)”, Planning
Commission of India, 2003-05. IIM Kozhikode (India).
4) Joint Project: “Improvement in Corporate Culture: Improving Human Resource & Preparing
a Vulnerability To Corruption Analysis”, sponsored by Trade Tax Department of Uttar
Pradesh province, India, 2001-03. IIM Lucknow (India).
5) Project Coordinator: “Quality of Health Delivery Systems: A Case on the Customer
Orientation of Primary Health Centres”, sponsored by Training Division, Department of
Personnel & Training, Government of India, 2000-02. IIM Lucknow (India).
13. Organizing National Seminars/Conferences
(a) Conference Chair, International Conference on “WTO, India & Trade Strategy”, 26-27
December, 2008, I.I.M Kozhikode
(b) Convener of Organizing Committee, National Seminar on “WTO, India & Emerging Areas of
Trade”, 21-22 April, 2006, I.I.M Kozhikode
(c) Coordinator (Joint), Seminar on “Issues in Rural Telecom Infrastructure Development in
India”, 18 April, 2000, New Delhi, Sponsored by several leading public & private sector
companies in Telecom industry
(d) Organizing Committee Member
i) Annual Convention of Strategic Management Forum of India, May 2006, I.I.M
ii) Conference on “Global Competitiveness”, March 2006, I.I.M Kozhikode (India)
iii) National Seminar “Sustainable Developmental Strategy for India”, 1993, J.N College,
14. Speaker in Symposia/Workshops/Conferences/Seminars
1) Memorial Lecture on “Global Economic Meltdown and Strategies for India to Withstand Its
Impact”, January 2, 2009, SNGIST Paravur, India.
2) Chief Guest & Keynote Speaker on “Monetary-Financial Sector Policies & the Global
Financial Crisis”, in the National Seminar on “Indian Financial System & Monetary Policy
under Financial Globalization”, November 13, 2008, NMSM College Kalpetta, India
3) Invited Speaker on “Future of Global Economy & Financial Markets”, in the Sales Executive
Meet, ICICI Prudential Ltd., October 18, 2008, Calicut, India.
4) Special workshop on “WTO System, Global Competition & Indian Strategies”, March 7,
2008, KSR Business School, Thiruchengode, India
5) Key Speaker, Workshop on “Professional Management in Handloom Cooperatives”, March 5,
2008, ICON, Kannur, India
6) Session Chair & Invited Speaker on “IPR Protection of Traditional Skills & Knowledge
under Geographical Indications Act: Benefits & Nuances”, GI Sensitization Workshop,
February 6, 2008, Textiles Committee, Government of India & Directorate of Handloom
& Textiles, Government of Kerala, Trivandrum, India
7) Key Speaker, Workshop on “New Nuances of WTO”, MSME Development Institute
(Trichur), Government of India & School of Management Studies, University of Calicut,
March 24, 2008, Calicut, India
8) Special seminar „WTO & Global Economy’, Economics Division, Lulea University of
Technology, Lulea, Sweden, May 28, 2007
9) Represented IIM Kozhikode: Third Round Table, Quebec-India Research & Educational
Partnerships (attended by Quebec Premier), Government of Canada & Shastri Indo-
Canadian Institute, Mumbai, India, 20 January, 2006.
10) Session Chair: Session „Healthcare and Marketing‟, International Conference on “Marketing
and Society”, I.I.M Kozhikode, 9-10 April, 2007
11) Invited speaker: “WTO and Developing Nations”, at the National Seminar on “Global
Convergence of Commercial Education”, August 30-31, 2006, University of Calicut &
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
12) Session Chair, “WTO, India & Emerging Areas of Trade”, National Seminar, I.I.M
Kozhikode, 21-22 April, 2006
13) Panel Chair, Panel Discussion on “Strategies for New Business Environment”, National
Conference on New Business Environment, “ecomNet”, May 27, 2006, Cochin, India
14) Invited Speaker: Paper “Future Industrial Progress of Kerala: Imperatives”, in National
Seminar “Kerala Economy: Challenges Ahead”, NAS College Kanhangad, Kerala, India, 16-
17 January, 2006.
15) Session Chair: Session „Capital Mobility, International Trade‟, International Conference on
„Globalization and Economic Asymmetries‟, 15-17 December 2005, IIM Kozhikode (India)
& The Athenian Policy Forum Inc
16) Session Chair: Workshop for the Review of Draft Chapters of „State Development Report
Kerala (India)‟, April 18-19, 2005, Centre for Development Studies, Trivandrum, India.
Chaired a session of 10 presentations.
17) Session Chair: Session „Brand Extension Strategies in Indian Market‟, National Seminar on
„Building Brands in Indian Market‟, 13-14 December 2003, IIM Kozhikode, India.
18) Participant: Second Strategic Management Forum of India WTO Seminar, Indian Institute of
Foreign Trade New Delhi, February/March 2002
19) Participant: “WIPO Asia Pacific Symposium on Emerging Issues of Copyright Protection
in the Digital Environment”, October 13-15, 2004. New Delhi
June 4, 2009