Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot.
Benefits of Etiquette
; Good manners make a positive impression
; A positive perception enhances credibility
; Knowing you are behaving appropriately helps you feel relaxed and confident so you can
focus on business
; Being polite shows you are a team player
; People do business with you when you make them feel comfortable
POWERFUL FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
How to Meet and Greet
A good beginning makes a good ending.
When it comes to handshaking and introductions: Both men and women should stand
ABC of Introductions
; First say name of person who holds position of most authority or importance
– who want to flatter most
“Ms. Manager, I’d like to introduce to you Mr. New Employee.”
; Keep it simple
; Aim to say each person’s name only once
; Provide just enough information to get conversation started.
; Information should be neutral or positive.
– “Mr. Nesmith is the one to see when your computer won’t cooperate - he can find
files no matter where they hide.”
Clear, interesting, positive, well-delivered
Meeting and Greeting
• Who introduces who?
– Traditionally, a man is always introduced to a woman. Not necessarily in
– Highest person of rank is mentioned first. Remember: “Big, may I introduce
– A younger person is always introduced to an older person
– It is helpful to include the person’s title
– Always state your name.