By Sally Fox,2014-08-12 09:27
8 views 0


    The Beavers made the journey to Dersingham on a damp foggy day after the long weather break anticipating a difficult game against a Rovers side that had beaten Brandon 3-1 in their last home game. It was a tight pitch requiring good ball skills and passing, something that the Rovers always try to play. Nelson Moreira was not available after his return from King’s Lynn whilst Paul English was out injured.

    The Beavers looked rusty early doors and after a mistake in midfield, Danny Lloyd diving to his right was thankful to see Tom Nicol’s shot go wide. Danny McKail,

    receiving the ball from Greg Murphy, struck the ball wide from the angle with Danny Brown perhaps in a better position in front of goal. With Sizz and Murphy starting to dominate the midfield, Kris Hart and McKail on the wings were beginning to pose a threat. In what was the Rovers best effort so far, Martin Allen (remember him from his Gayton days?) was foiled by an excellent tackle by Rushie after a good cross in from the right. On 20 minutes the Beavers took the lead when Sizz superbly picked out Danny Brown to head past keeper Daniels into the corner of the goal. Seconds later Lloydie went into referee Paul Burnham’s book after bringing down Lloyd Drewery outside the

    box and it was Drewery who equalised from close in on 23 minutes after Trevor Daniels had got away down the right. On 33 minutes Sizz won the ball and charging forward, looked up and calmly chipped the keeper to put the Beavers back in front 2-1. It was worth the journey just for that goal! Soon after Kris Hart had a couple of chances, first having his shot blocked and then shooting wide after Luke Adcock’s cross. On 44

    minutes it was 3-1, when Murphy won a free kick, Deano put it in to Rushie and his header was finished well by Danny Brown at close range. Half time: Rovers 1 Beavers 3.

    The Beavers almost scored straight from the restart but keeper Daniels got down well to save from McKail after a good move involving Sizz, Hart and Brown who headed the ball back across goal for McKail. The move was reversed when McKail breaking forward turned back to cross to Brown but his stooping header went wide. McKail then put Hart free on goal but he knocked it well over the top. The Rovers were pressing forward but the Beavers defence of Cox, Skoyles, Rushie and Hart were defending well restricting the Rovers to shots from distance. On 60 minutes it was 4-1 when McKail broke free and chipped keeper Daniels after good work by Deano. The Rovers could have pulled one back when Tom Nicol forced a great save from Lloydie and Tim Kirby knocked it over after close attention from Rushie. Chris O’Brien replaced Sizz and when Danny Brown dummied the defender, O’Brien squared the ball to McKail but his first

    time shot flashed wide. Chris Stocker replaced Adcock and Tom Notley replaced Murphy and on 84 minutes it was 5-1 when O’Brien put McKail in to round the keeper

    and slot the ball home from a tight angle. Credit to the Rovers for continuing to press forward and Lloyd Drewery couldn’t quite get enough on a good ball in by Gary English

    but the sixth goal arrived on 87 minutes after a poor back pass by English fell to O’Brien

    who beat keeper Daniels with ease.

    My man of the match was Stuart Rushbrook on a day when everyone played reasonably well and the two Danny’s up front each got a brace. The match ended 6-1 but it could

    quite easily have been more on a day when the Beavers looked fitter and stronger.


Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email