Unit1 Living well
1. Learn about disability and life of disabled people, and
guide students to learn from their positive attitude
2. Develop students’ reading skills
3. Learn some new words and expressions.
4. Revise the Infinitive
5. Write a letter of suggestion
Period 1 Warming Up & Pre-reading
1. Introduce Nick Vujicic to the students and show them a short film about him.
Born in 1982 in Australia, Nick came into the world with neither arms nor legs. Throughout his childhood, Nick dealt not only with various challenges, but also struggled with depression and loneliness. In 2003, Nick graduated with a double Bachelor’s degree and started to fulfill his dream of being able to encourage other people. Now at 28 years old, this limbless young man has accomplished more than most
people accomplish in a lifetime.
2. Have students talk about Nick’s life story to focus their
attention on disability and disabled people. 3. Read the background knowledge on P1 in 同步诠案 and
do the True or False.
? All the people with disability were disabled when
they were born.
? There are some other types of disabilities besides
physical and mental disability.
? Physically disabled people must often rely on
? Beethoven stopped composing when he became
? Mental disability will influence people’s ability to
think, feel and behave, so it’s impossible for them to
make any achievement.
4. Introduce more successful disabled people to the students, such as Steven Hawking (a physicist), Zhang Haidi (a translator and writer) and Zhouzhou (a conductor), and
draw a conclusion that They’re broken in body but firm in
5. Look at the pictures and read their stories on P1, suppose they are your friends, what kind of presents will you give them?
Books for A hearing-aid A CD blind people
Period 2 Reading & Language points
1. Read the story very quickly and analyze the structure of
?. The main idea of this passage is about __C____.
A. Marty’s unusual disease B. What Marty has suffered
C. Marty’s disease and his attitude to life
?. The type of writing of the passage is ___B____. A. an explanation (说明文) B. a narration (记叙文)
C. an argumentation (议论文)
?. This passage most probably appears in __A___. A. a magazine B. a health report C. a science fiction 2. Read the text more carefully and match each paragraph with its main idea.
Para. 1A. He has a good life.
Para. 2B. People with disabilities can
Para. 3C. No one knows how the
Para. 4D. He has a muscle disease,
which is very unusual.
Para. 5E. Marty had difficulties in his
3. Listening to the recording and do the True or False. ? Quite a few people have the same problem with Marty. F ? Marty lived a happy life before he was 1o just like everybody else. T
? Having done lots of tests on Marty, doctors finally found a cure to his disease. F
? The main reason why some kids laughed at Marty is that Marty was too weak though he looked pretty healthy. T ? Marty thinks being disabled means a dissatisfying life. F ? Marty finally adapted to his disease and developed a wide range of interests. T
4. Have students discuss what kind of person Marty is. Marty is an outgoing, determined, optimistic and brave boy.
5. Language points
1.1 换句话来说 in other words
1.2 爬楼梯 climb stairs
1.3 此外；另外 in addition
1.4 撞上~ 偶然碰见 bump into
Of the new students, seven in ten can adapt to the new surroundings after getting into university.
2.1 和其他人一样 the same as everyone else 2.2 变得越来越虚弱 get weaker and weaker
(not more and more weak) 2.3 至少 at least
2.4 割掉；剪下 cut out
It is difficult to know what the future holds.
I used to dream about speaking English as fluently as Lee Yang.
3.1 上气不接下气 out of breath
3.2 太虚弱而不能上学 too weak to go to school 3.3 因为缺少经验；他的生意受到很大影响。
His business suffered a lot due to the absence of
absence n. 缺席, 离开, 不在场;缺乏, 不存在
absent adj. 缺席的;.缺乏的;心不在焉的, 恍惚的
present adj. 出席的, 到场的
presence n. 出席, 到场, 存在
4.1 让我生气 make me annoyed
4.2 总而言之 all in all
4.3 闲坐 sit around
4.4 又、也、和 as well as
? They play all kinds of instruments and sing ___C___.
A. also B. either C. as well D. as well as ? Tom, _D_ Jane and Rose, ___ going to the farm on foot.
A. as long as~is B. as well as~are
C. as long as~are D. as well as~is
? They travel at full speed by day __D__.
A. and night B. and by night as well as
C. as well at night D. as well as by night ? Mrs. Black writes _A_ ,if not better than, her husband.
A. as well as B. so well C. so well as D. as well 5.1 在很多方面 in many ways
5.2 过正常的生活 live a normal life
5.3 为……感到可怜 feel sorry for …
5.4 取笑某人 make fun of …
live as rich and full a life as you do
6. Finish off the exercises in 同步诠案.
Period 3 Revising useful structures
1. Summarize the grammar points briefly.
The infinitive has the features of noun, verb, adjective and adverb .So it can be the subject, the predicative, the object the object complement, the adverbial and the attribute.
(1) Verbs followed by a to-infinitive and the infinitive as
Such as : want , wish, agree, decide, learn, pretend, ask,
promise, plan, expect, hope, refuse, aim, fail, manage,
(2) Verbs followed by a to-infinitive and the infinitive as
the object complement advise, allow, ask, beg encourage,
get, force, invite, expect, order, permit, persuade, require,
want, warn, teach, wish, etc.
(3) It is +adj+for sb to do sth
The commonly used adjectives are :hard, difficult, easy,
important, necessary , possible, impossible.
(4) It is+adj+of sb to do sth
The commonly used adjectives are: kind, nice, clever,
foolish , silly, wise, rude, selfish.
2. Ask Ss to read the text again and finish Ex1 of Discovering useful structures.
3. Ask Ss to choose the best answers to the following sentences.
(1) I did not expect____ so many people waiting here.
A it to be B there is C there are D there to be (2) When mother came in, he pretended______ .
A to sleep B to be sleeping
C having slept D sleeping
(3) What he wanted to do was______ a new school started.
A to get B get C got D to be got
(4) You are lucky to have such a comfortable room_____.
A to live B for living C to live in D lived in
(5) I have got enough money______.
A to buy a car B to buy a car with
C to buy a car for D for buying a car
(6) We set out after dark ______an hour later.
A. to arrive B. arriving C. arrived D. and arrived (7) ------Sorry______ you so much trouble.
------That’s all right.
A. to give B. to have given
C. giving D. having given
(8) They had no choice but _____their training as it was raining so hard.
A. put off B. to put off C. putting off D. put out (9) My only wish is ____in safety.
A. for them B. for them to be
C. for them be D. for they are
(10) With so many good books ______I was at a loss which to take.
A. to choose B. to choose from
B. C. to be chosen D. for choosing