Unit 4 How do you get to school?
Teaching and learning contents:
1. To learn language goals and grammar focus —talk about how to get to places
How do you/they get to…?
How does he/she get to SW?
How long does it take?
How far is it?
2. “take” and “by”
3. To do some listening and reading comprehension and to recite P20 2b, P21 3b,
p23 3a and try to recite them from memory. 4. To improve writing skills—two writing tasks.
1. To grasp the new words and some bey words especially “take”, “by” and “worry”.
2. To be able to use “How long”
“How far is it”
“How far do you live from sw?”
“How do you get to school?” correctly
3. To write a passage about transportation. 4. To practice more by doing some exercises. Important points:
1. The words and useful expressions such as “take a bus”, “by boat”, “how far”,
“depend on”, “worry”, “it takes sb. some time to do sth.. etc.
2. To make a conversation by the model.
3. Grammar focus.
1. To read and understand section A and B 3a(s). 2. To write a passage or a report about the transportant. Teaching and learning process:
?.Lead in: To show some pictures about transportant: bus, car, boat, plane, train, on
foot, (walk), bike, motor bike, and subway/railway. T: In this unit we’re talking about one of our daily lives—transportation. We have clothing, food, housing and transportation(衣食住行).
How to ask:
How do you get to SW?
How to answer the question?
? I take a bus to SW. ? I get to SW by bus.
a train train
a car car
a boat boat
a plane plane
a motorbike motorbike
ride a bike bike
walk on foot ?. To work in pairs, ask and answer.
How do you get to school?
I get to school by bus.
Or: I take the bus to school.
?. To do section A 1a. look at the picture and write down the way of transportation.
?. To listen to the tape and finish 1b and 2a, 2c. ?. To do a pair work by using the chart.
Model: A: How does Bob get to school?
B: He takes the train.
Name the means of transportant
Bob take the train
Mary take the subway
Yang Lan walk
John take the bus
?. To learn 2b and practice it. — How often does it (the transportation) take?
— It takes …… minutes to walk/ride.
by bus /train, car……
Name the means of transportation time
Bob take the train 40 minutes
Mary take the subway 30 minutes
You walk 5 minutes
The boys take the bus 25 minutes
Paul ride a bike 15 minutes
Yang Lan take the car one hour
1. To recite and dictation the new words till “by bus”.
2. To copy and tiars/ate the grammar focus. (P20)
3. To recite section A and write it from memory.
?.To review and learn the part of the new words and dictate the sentence patterns.
A: How do you get to school? B: I ride my bike.
A: How does he get to school? B: He walks to school.
A: How do they get to school? B: They take the train.
A: How long does it take? B: It takes about forty minutes.
A: How does Bob get to school?
B: He gets to school by bus.
To write 2b from memory on notebook. ?. To practice —Pairwork.
Who How How long
Maria bus twenty minutes
John bus ten minutes
Liu Pei subway fifteen minutes
?. To listen, read and understand section A 3a. How far 可提问“两地间的距离”
Ix: How far do you live from your home to school?
I live ~ from my home to school.
How far is it from our school to the Summer Palace?
It’s ~ from our school to the Summer Palace.
?. To practice in pair. 3b and 4
Who How How long How far
You subway 25 minutes 3 miles
Bob train 35 minutes 8 miles
Mary walk 40 minutes 2 miles
Paul bus 15 minutes 4 miles
Maria bus 20 minutes 5 miles
John bus 10 minutes 6 miles
Liu Pei subway 15 minutes 8 miles
1. To recite and write the new words till “must” and dictation them.
2. To make a conversation about the means of transportant.
3. To recite and write section A 3b from memory. 4. To do section B 1a on textbook.
?. To go over the new words and learn the last part of the new words.
Around the world, in the North America, be different from, take a taxi, how far
*A: ______________? B: I ride my bike to school. *A: ______________? B: It takes about twenty minutes. *A: ______________? B: I live 2 miles from school. *A: ______________? B: He goes to work by subway. ?. To make a survey — ask questions and answer them. (Task)
Find someone who… Name
lives 10 miles from school
walks to school
take a bus to school
take more than an hour to get to school
rides the bike to school
takes the subway to school
takes less than 10 minutes to get to
How long does it take you to get to school?
?. To do listening comprehension Section B 2a and 2b. ?. To listen, read and learn Section B 3a and do “T” or “F” exercises below the
?. Task: Section B 3b — To look at the chart and complete the article. ?. To make a survey about how do the students in our class get to school every day.
How do the students in our class get to school?
Bus Walking Bike Subway Car
1. To recite and dictation the last part of the new words by parents. 2. To write a report about how the students in our class get to school. 3. To read Section B 3a.
?. To do the exercise on P49. (精讲多练)
?. To do self-check 1 and 2.
?. To do a writing exercise.
My home is about two kilometers from school. I usually go to school on foot. I ride my bike to the subway station, and then take the subway. I never go to school by boat,
but I think it must be more interesting than taking a bus. I take a train to the park on
Sunday. It takes me about forty minutes to get there.
?. To correct mistakes.
1. — How do you get school, Matt?
— I walk.
2. Anna goes to work by her bike.
3. How far it is from Washington D.C to Philadelphia.
4. — How does it take to get to store?
— It takes about thirty minutes.
5. In many countries, transportation depends where people live. Part ?:
Dictation and Exercise
A: How do you get to school?
B: I often walk to school. Sometimes I take a bicycle. I never take a subway. A: How long does it take you get to school?
B: It takes me thirty minutes to get there. A: How far is it from your home to school? B: About two kilometers.
A: How does Lin Lao get to school? B: He gets o school by bus.
A: How far does he live from school? B: He lives forty miles from school? By train; by boat; other part of the thing; thank you so much; more than; car; station;
bus stop; worry; town; ill; depend on. ?. To do some exercises on P50-53. 课堂投影练习题:
1. — How does he get to school?
— He _________.
A. ride his bike. B. by bike. C. takes the subway. D. take the subway.
2. — __________does it take?
— It takes about 20 minutes.
A. How B. How often C. How long D. How far 3. 改错: It takes about 10 minute to walk to the school.
A B C D
4. My home is about 9 kilometers from school. _______ _______ is your home from
5. How far is it from his home to school? (同义句)
How far ______ ______ ______ from school? 6. 世界的其他地方不同于美国。 (汉译英)
When it rains I ______ ______ a taxi. 8. 用合适的连接词或连接副词填空。
? I want to know ______ your father does. ? Can you tell me ______ they had a match yesterday afternoon.