IBC 2009 Chapter 17 thProposed Amendments for the 8 Edition th(‘Alternate Proposal’ to the 7 edition Chapter 17)
1701.1.1 Construction control. The owner shall provide for a registered design professional in responsible charge of controlled construction who shall:
1. unless directed otherwise by the building official, assume all responsibilities of the building
official contained in Sections1703.1, 1703.2, 1703.4, 1703.4.1, 1703.4.2, 1703.6, 1704.1,
1704.4.1, 1708.4, 1711.1, 1712.1, .
2. be responsible for selection of any approved agency, approved fabricator, or party qualified to
conduct a special inspection.
3. determine the frequency and extent of the applicable tests, inspections, and observations required
in this chapter.
4. provide to the building official, prior to the issuance of a building permit, a plan that shall outline
the tests, inspections, and observations of the work to such an extent that it provides reasonable
evidence and documentation to the building official that the work is being constructed in
accordance with the construction documents.
5. submit to the building official, prior to the issuance of a certificate of occupancy, a final tests and
inspections report stating that to his knowledge, the requirements of the plan in 1701.1.1 (4) have
been satisfactorily completed and that any deficiencies have been reported and rectified.
1701.1.2 Responsibilities of the contractor. The contractor shall provide to the registered design professional and building official a quality control program for the construction regulated by this chapter.
The contractor shall comply with this program, except as specifically allowed by the registered design professional, and shall be responsible for construction quality control, compliance with the approved construction documents, and for any design for which it is responsible. ADD
1701.1.3 Waiver of Structural Inspection by the registered design professional. Where, in the opinion of the registered design professional, any portion of the contractor's quality control program meets the
inspection and test requirements of this chapter, the registered design professional may reduce the extent of special inspections and tests contained in 1701.1.1 (4) following approval by the building official. When this is done, the final tests and inspections report, 1701.1.1 (5), shall include reference to the results
of those inspections and tests performed by the contractor. Immediately upon receipt, the contractor shall
submit reports of the affected inspections and tests to the registered design professional.
ADD this exception to 1704.2.2
Exception. Special inspections required by Section 1704 are not required where the work is done on the
premises of the following certified fabricators:
1. A fabricator of structural steel that is certified by the American Institute of Steel Construction
Inc.’s Fabricator Certification Program.
2. A fabricator of precast concrete that is certified by the Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute’s
Plant Certification Program.
3. A fabricator of cold-formed steel trusses that is certified by the Truss Plate Institute’s Quality
4. A fabricator of wood trusses that is certified by the Truss Plate Institute’s Quality Assurance
Such fabricators shall not be exempt from special inspections required by Sections 1704.3, 1704.4
or 1704.6. At the completion of fabrication, the certified fabricator shall submit a certificate of
compliance to the registered design profession stating that the work was performed in accordance
with the approved construction documents.