RAJALAKSHMI ENGINEERING COLLEGE
DEPARTMENT OF AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING
AT 1004 – AUTOMOTIVE AERODYNAMICS QUESTION BANK
1. What is the scope for studying automotive aerodynamics? 2. Differentiate internal and external flow for a car. 3. What are the resistances to vehicle motion?
4. How fuel consumption is affected by aerodynamic design of a car? 5. Explain briefly about the duct for automotive air-conditioning. 6. What is meant by a bluff body?
7. Define drag.
8. Explain briefly about drag co-efficient for a car. 9. What is meant by a low drag profile?
10. List the types of drag forces.
11. Define hatchback model.
12. Define fastback model.
13. Define square back model.
14. What are the local origins for drag?
15. How wheel and wheel housings induce drag?
16. Draw the co-ordinate system used in Automotive aerodynamics. 17. Define lift force, drag force.
18. Define side force in automotive aerodynamics.
19. Define pitching moment and rolling moment.
20. Define Yawing moment.
21. What are the assumptions in wind tunnel testing?
22. What are the limitations of simulation in automotive aerodynamics? 23. What is meant by scale models?
24. What are the disadvantages of scale modeling?
25. List the different road testing methods in automotive aerodynamics? 26. Explain briefly about climatic wind tunnels.
27. What are the functional requirements of an engine cooling system 28. List the various mechanisms of wind noise generation. 29. What is the advantage of having a rear spoiler for a car. 30. What is the source of aerodynamic noise from cars.
1. Enumerate the historical developments in the field of Automotive aerodynamics. 2. Explain the external flow and problems associated with it for a car. 3. Explain the internal flow and problems associated with it for a car. 4. Explain about the location of ventilation and air conditioning ducts in a car. 5. Explain the flow field around a car with suitable pressure diagrams. 6. List and explain the various types of drag forces actin on a acr. 7. How drag co-efficient is arrived for a car and explain the drag force equation.
8. Explain about car profiles inducing low amount of drag.
9. Explain how drag can be reduced by suitably modifying the front end of a car. 10. Explain how drag can be reduced by suitably modifying the front and rear
windshield angles of a car.
11. Explain the dust flow patterns at the rear of a car.
12. Explain the flow profiles for the following shapes: fast back and hatch back. 13. Draw the co-ordinate system used in automotive aerodynamic calculations and
explain about the various forces and moments acting on a acr. 14. Explain the dynamic behavior of a vehicle under side winds. 15. Explain the dirt accumulation over a vehicle and how it can be avoided by proper
16. Explain the methods of drag reduction in commercial vehicles. 17. Explain the basic working of a wind tunnel for automotive applications. 18. Explain the limitation of wind tunnel simulation and the various errors involved in
19. Explain the aerodynamic testing of cars with reduced scale models. 20. Explain any two automotive wind tunnels that are in practice now.