Title Unit 11: The Qingjiang River
The students should be able to: Purpose
1. grasp the information of the Qingjing River. and
2. learn some useful words and expressions Requireme
1. Reading the summary and Passage 1 Importance 2. Language points and exercises
Sentence structure and professional words Difficulty
Teaching Textbook, pictures, blackboard, sound lab, video Aids
Teaching Procedure Step 1: Warm-up
Leading questions to draw the Ss’ attention: Background information:
The Qingjiang River locates in the southwest of Hubei province. It
originates from Lichuan city, Hubei province, and joins the Yangtze
River in Zhicheng city.
The narrowest surface of the Qingjiang River is 15 meters and the
widest surface is more than 200 meters. It is the best season for rafting and drifting in the Qingjiang River
from April to October every year.
Step 2: Reading the summary account
Ask the Ss to read the summary briefly, and decide the sentences
true or false.
1. The Qingjiang River is 423km long with rich water resources and
attractive sceneries. (T)
2. The Three hydroelectricity dams become famous, attracting
tourists at home and abroad. (T)
3. It is the best season for rafting and drifting in the Qingjiang River
from April to October every year. (T) Step 3: Reading Passage 1
Ask the Ss to read the passage1 briefly. And answer the questions
on the blackboard.
1 What are the names of the Three Gorges in the Qingjiang River? (Pingluo Gorge, Bashan Gorge, Banxia Gorge.)
2 Where’s Pingluo Gorge?
(It’s suited between the Geheyan Water Control Project and
3 What’s the ancient name of Bashan Gorge?
4 How long is Banxia Gorge?
(It’s 5 km long.)
The teacher explains some difficult sentences and expressions.
1. In the river there is a long island surrounded with water, which
forms a natural wild zoo.
2. The second gorge is called Bashan Gorge, whose ancient name was Han Pass.
3. The mountains there are high and steep. In the gorge there are
Chessboard Cave and Bashan Cave, in which there are a lot of
wonderful stones like lions, elephants, dragons, snakes and so on..
4. There are two unique hills in the gorge. One is elegant and the
other is magnificent. They look like a close couple, thus it gained the name of Banxia Gorge.
5. the first scene is Thin Knife Cliff, the second is Lion Cave and
the third is Salty Pool.
Step 4: Practice and Consolidation
Ask Ss to Ex?on P120 to check the Ss’ understanding.
II. 1 T 2 T
Step 5: Oral Practice
Tell us something about the Three Gorges of the Qingjiang River
according to the key words.
Thin Knife Cliff
Read the passage 2-3 after class. Summary or feeling after class