By Kenneth Reyes,2014-05-12 23:54
12 views 0


    Parents - Review Your Insurance Policies Before Your Student Goes Off to School

Sending a student to college can be an emotional and trying time. Remembering to pack everything they will

    need while away from home is a challenge and so is understanding your changing insurance needs. The

    National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) offers these tips to help you review and update your

    insurance policies to cover your college student.

    Health Insurance

Most health insurance policies cover dependents who are full-time students until the age of 23. Generally, a

    student must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester (six or nine credit hours in the summer) to be

    considered a full-time student. Individual policies differ, so check with your health insurer or benefits

    administrator about how the policy defines a full-time student and the maximum age of coverage.

Know Your Policy

    Before leaving home, make sure your student has a copy of the relevant insurance cards and knows about obtaining referrals and approvals (if necessary) before seeking treatment. If you are insured by a health

    maintenance organization (HMO), check to see if your student will be outside the HMO service area while away

    at school. If this occurs, the student likely will have coverage for emergency care, but might have to travel to a

    physician or hospital within the HMO service area for routine care. If your insurer is part of a preferred provider

    organization (PPO), your insurer may pay benefits at out-of-network levels if you are outside your network.

    Check your plan provisions or speak with your insurer to find out what level of benefits are provided by your


Student Health Insurance Plans

If your student's healthcare coverage is limited by the network service area, another option is a student health

    insurance plan. These plans are sold by an insurer that has contracted with a college to offer coverage to its

    students. In general, these plans have more limited benefits and more exclusions than traditional health insurance plans. Many policies also will exclude routine examinations and injuries sustained while under the influence of

    alcohol or drugs.

Renter's Insurance

    Many students bring thousands of dollars worth of personal items such as electronics, a computer, textbooks, clothes, furniture or a bicycle with them to school. So, whether your student is living on- or off-campus, it's a good idea to review your homeowners policy to see whether your student's personal items will be covered.

Does Your Student Need Renter's Insurance?

    If your student is younger than 26 years old, enrolled in classes and living in on-campus housing, your homeowners policy will likely extend to the belongings they take with them. However, if your student is living off-campus, talk with your insurance agent about whether your homeowners coverage will extend to the rental

property. If it does not, you might want to consider renter's insurance to protect your student's personal property

    in the event that it is damaged, destroyed or stolen.

A Home Inventory

A comprehensive list of your student's possessions including purchase prices, model numbers and serial

    numbers will help you decide how much renter's insurance your student will need. It's also a good idea to have a detailed inventory in case of disaster, as it will help you and your student should you have to file an

    insurance claim following a catastrophe. Make sure to take photos or video of the possessions, and store the

    inventory in a secure, off-site location. Parents should also keep a copy of the inventory and photos.

To download an easy-to-use home inventory checklist and get more tips about disaster preparedness, visit

The Big Move

Before you pack all of your student's belongings into a car or rental trailer, make sure to talk with your insurance

    agent about insuring the contents. Ask if your homeowners insurance policy will cover the belongings in the student's car or rental trailer before they get to campus. If your student is going to live off-campus, ask your insurance agent if coverage in their renter's policy will extend to the belongings during the move. If not, ask your

    insurance agent about a separate rider in case of accident or theft.

Auto Insurance

A significant move away from home can have a big impact on your auto insurance policy. If your student is

    taking a car with them to school, check with your agent about the existing insurance policy. Ask about the rates

    for the college's city and state before deciding whether to keep your student's car on the family's auto policy. In

    addition, the insurance company should be notified each semester if the student maintains good grades. Maintaining a certain G.P.A. might make your child eligible for a good student discount.

For more tips on how to keep your auto insurance costs down when your teens start to drive, visit

Identity Theft

As a college student, your child may be more vulnerable to identity theft because of the availability of personal

    information and the way many students handle this data. Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the United States, costing victims more than $5 billion annually.

College students are more likely to be hit by identity thieves because they are generally unprepared to protect

    themselves when the steady stream of requests for personal information begins.

Identity Theft Insurance

Identity theft insurance cannot protect you or your student from becoming a victim of identity theft and does not

    cover direct monetary losses incurred as a result. Instead, identity theft insurance provides coverages for the cost of reclaiming your or your student's financial identity such as the costs of making phone calls, making copies,

    mailing documents, taking time off from work without pay (lost wages) and hiring an attorney.

Before You Buy

Check to see if your homeowners policy includes identity theft insurance, and ask your insurance agent if this

    extends to your a student living away from the your primary residence. If not, you might be able to purchase a

    stand-alone policy from another insurer, bank or credit card company. If your student is renting an apartment,

    ask if their renter's insurance covers identity theft, or if it could be added to the policy.

For More Information on Identity Theft

For tips on protecting your student from identity theft, visit

For more information on what to do if either of you becomes a victim, visit the Federal Trade Commission Web

    site or the U.S. Department of Education Web site.

Your Insurance Options

For more information about auto, home, life and health insurance options, as well as tips for choosing the

    coverage that is right for you and your family, visit

August 2008

Report this document

For any questions or suggestions please email