Municipal organization of Red Cross – Bitola
Training for Participatory Rapid Appraisal
Team – Bitola
…Vulnerable persons- indeed, all persons should have a basic right to be in decisions which directly affect their lives…
The pilot Participatory Development Programme is result from this citation exactly, faced
with an increasing number of vulnerable people and marginalized communities,
decreased financial support from Government and the general public, increased
competition from other NGOs.
In the year 2002 in Macedonia began PCD Programmed supported from the
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies – Regional
The program was realized in 13 branch organizations of Red Cross and it was evaluated
as one of the most important. This year Red Cross of Bitola had its opportunity. The goal
of the programmed is to drawing near Red Cross Bitola (volunteers and working staff) in
the development of vulnerable people and communities with large number of Roma
population. Concretely, the goal is a micro project on the basis of confirmed priority of
the community without direct human help for the individuals.
2. Coordinator of the project for Bitola and members of PCD team
After the Red Cross Bitola was included in PCD programme, Biljana Andreevska –staff
in Red Cross Bitola was named for coordinator for it. Her first job was consultation with
Ljupka Petkovska – National coordinator for PCD in Macedonia to form the team of volunteers and staff in Red Cross Bitola, local authorities, nongovernmental
organizations, governmental institutions and vulnerable people from the local community.
(List of members)
3. Training workshop of PCD Team on ,, Participatory rapid appraisal ,,
On account of success in implementation of the PCD Programme it was foresight three
day workshop for training the team (8,9,10-02-2007). It was conducted by the members
of Macedonian Red Cross.
The same workshop was in theoretical and practical part. Through different techniques
and methods, simulated situations, practices and games, the members of PCD team
were acquainted with the goals and necessity of initiative for this kind of activities.
4. Report of the workshop by days
First working day 8.02.2007
The day was divided in three parts:
Part 1: The workshop was official opened by the President and Secretary of Red Cross
Bitola Dr.Diana Dimitrova and Niko Hristovski, with appropriate words for welcome and wish for good work.
They introduced Ljupka Petkovska, professional collaborator in Macedonian Red Cross (MRC) and the national coordinator for PCD program and Katica Kiprijanova (Red Cross –Kumanovo) collaborator (volunteer, member of Executive board of MRC as professional logistic gave detail explanation for the goals of PCD program and realization of this three day workshop.
Furthermore every member from the team have task to introduce the person next to him (introducing game) and with participatory suggestions made book of rules.
Aleksandar Todorovski, member of PCD team, introduced Red Cross – history, structure,
components, principals and activities of movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent . Part 3. Practical
First, it was present the survey which include:
Preparation, Participatory rapid appraisal (PRA), reflection, the project planning process (PPP), report, evaluation, placing out PCD in a new community.
Second, training in groups. Next What is ,,A NEED,,? Every group should answer on a flip chart and present the answers.
Furthermore was the theoretical part on What is a need and what is a wish and classification of needs by Maslov.
With this, the first working day was completed.
Second working day 9.02.2007
This working day was more professional with utilization of exercises, simulations and games.
Part 1. Review of the previous day, the game ,,Pig,, which discovers each other person's
characteristic on the basis of the drawing.
- instructors explain “What is participatory work”
The tape of participation in development program and project
- Training in groups: after reading of particular event the members of the PCD team should uncover the part of participation of the people who was included in the situation. - How to do Participatory Rapid Appraisal followed by experiences from different institutions and organizations.
- Humanitarian organization ,,Bair shining,, ;
- Rome women association, Red Cross Bitola, Primary school ,,Gorgi Sugarev,, -experiences from working with Roman pupil and Roman adolescents ;
- Center for social works Bitola – municipality self-governance ;
– Characteristic of PRA by Somesh Cumar
- needs analysis
- focus groups
- question book for control lists
- inquiry into vulnerable persons
- meetings with community groups
- inquiry into local events
- interview by phone and persons interview
- Triangular method as tool for investigating the field
Direct observation small community 400-600 people, streets, needs and priority of the
What are we observe Remark
Example: home state
- Training game in pairs – observing
- Semi-structured interview (how to get the relevant information in 1-2 hours).
1. Simulation of event- phone conversation
2. Simulation of event- triangular method in the home of 4 persons Rome family
3. Interview in pairs- What is the happiest moment in your life.
- Gradation / priority: after the brain storm it was made a list of priority by gradation 1-
- Venn diagram: causes and results
Training game by Venn diagram:
increasing number of drug users
a lot of people without social security
- Participatory mapping / type of map
Training in group: Map of Red Cross
Map of Bair community in the present time
Map of Bair community in the future
Each group presents its map.
Third working day 10-02-2007
Programming the project and preparing the team for field work
- review of the previous day
- analysis of life by two techniques
Time table of daily activities
spring summer autumn Winter
National and Weddings Preparing for winter
community holiday (July –August)
6 may Gurgovden
8 May International
From the table we can see :
1. When is the population free to give us information
2. What is the most suitable period for interviews and inquiry
- Training instructors explain the basic structure for planning process
- SWOT analysis for internal analysis of the organization
Every participant made a SWOT analysis for its organization.
Assessment of specific duty for the members of the PCD team
activity Time / date budget
Every member should dots
duty and give report on the
Meeting on 19-02-2007-
At 17.00 hour in RC
- observing the field
- Authorized letter
- Announcement with an information for the observing the field, data and purpose of
- Half structures answer book
- Field work
- Presentation of the workshop in front of large group on the meeting witch will be
- Complete report from the workshop
Evaluation and closing
This workshop has accomplished its goals and purposes therefore it gave justification for
the time and effort of the volunteers. Facilitators and participants agreed about it.
On the end the President and the Secretary of Red Cross Bitola officially closed the
workshop and gave certificates to the members of PCD team.